Search for content in message boards

John Doran

Posted: 5 Sep 2013 11:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Doran, Gratton, Bunston, Smith, Davenport, Nash
Hi,
I am looking for information about John Doran who married Maria Ann Honeycombe. I found some census records that say that John was born in Kilkenny c.1849.
I cannot find any records for his birth or their marriage, so have hit a wall in going back any further in the family. John is my 2x great grandfather. I am descended from their daughter Maria who married Samuel Davenport.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, Georgie

Re: John Doran

Posted: 10 Oct 2013 1:30AM GMT
Baptism Records in Ireland are difficult, those records that survived are available on line:
www.rootsireland.ie A decent estimate of year born is a good start. You can do an All Ireland
search or restrict to Kilkenny.

www.familysearch.org has both England and Ireland after 1864:

Mary Ann Honeycombe born 9 March 1851, All Saints Church, Newcastle on Tyne parents:
Richard Honeycombe and mother Elizabeth

There are other Honeycombe's Cornwall and a Channel Is.(if you have a good idea of when she was born)

www.freebmd.org.uk

did find Honeycombe quite a few John Doran's given a range of 1864-1874 for marriages
if you have census you might be able to find the right John Doran based on a census record if he married in England. The closest child born to marriage date may have a different place of birth and that may show you where the marriage took place.

Where did the marriage of Maria & Samuel take place? Usually a marriage record gives father's place of birth and occupation.
Did they have a son usually the irish tradition to to name first son after father or grandfather.

There were 256 Doran's in Kilkenny's Griffith Valuation in 1850 (John would of been 1 yr.)
www.askaboutireland.ie (this is where John's father's name might come in handy.

Far to many to speculate. There were no Honeycombe's in Ireland at the time of the Griffith Valuation and none in the directories of Ireland, nor 1901/1911 census, nor the Tithe records of 1823-1837.
I would say unlikely he met Mary Ann in Ireland.

Posted: 12 Oct 2013 2:40AM GMT
Thanks so much. This will be a great help and give me a few places to check.

Maria Ann Honeycombe was born on Jersey (Channel Islands). Their eldest child was John William Doran - born 1873 in St. Helier, Jersey. I figured this is where they were married, but have not been able to find anything.

Maria Doran and Samuel Davenport were married in Staffordshire (Newcastle Under Lyme).

Thanks again.

Posted: 12 Oct 2013 5:24PM GMT
Just an aside, my grandfather was born 1881 in the Channel Islands. Just curious as to how John Doran got there, and don't say by boat! My great grandfather was there for work, a bricklayer. My grandfather's siblings were born all over England, depending on where there was work.

I have been through the Latter Day Saints microfilm for the Channel Is. at my local LDS center.

I don't know of any other search on line except www.freebmd.org.uk but perhaps you could find the marriage on www.familysearch.org?

Annette
Canada

Posted: 13 Oct 2013 1:26AM GMT
hahaha by boat... I have not found records of him going from Ireland to Jersey either, but as they are both part of the UK I don't know if it would be in the normal immigration records. I assume John went there for work as well.

I'll check familysearch.org first and see what I come up with.

Cheers, Georgie
Australia
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions