Search for content in message boards

HEWLETT SULLIVAN, JR

HEWLETT SULLIVAN, JR

Posted: 16 Jul 2012 9:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for info on Hewlett Sullivan Jr of Greenville Co, SC. Hewlett was born 28 April 1801 Greenville Co, d/ 3 May 1887 Greenville Co, SC.

Hewlett was never married but I have been told he had a child by a white woman and he named this child in his will.

He also had a child by a slave girl and she was named in the will also.

I need info on the White woman and the name of the child.

Can anyone help

James

Re: HEWLETT SULLIVAN, JR

Posted: 17 Jul 2012 7:05PM GMT
Hi James,

I took a look at Hewlett Sullivan's will (Greenville County Probate Judge Estate Records, Apt.50, file 46). The people to whom he left property or money are as follows: 1.The wife & children (unnamed) of Joseph P. Latimer; 2.John H. Latimer; 3.a long list of women's names, identified collectively as his nieces; 4.Joseph P. Nabors' 5 children now living (unnamed); 5.'Newton Sullivan, a colored man' (whose death certificate [SC Death Certificates, 1923 #4319] identifies his father as Hulette Sullivan); 6.Joseph Pinson and his sisters, Lou Brown & Dorah, identified as 'children of my deceased sister Elizabeth Pinson,' and 7.a long list of people, most of whom have been named and identified earlier in the will, and the rest of whom are identified as the sons of Hewlett's brothers. So... the only people I see in all of this who inherit directly from him and could have been either the white woman or her child of family story are the wife of Joseph Latimer (who could have been either the woman or her child), John Latimer (who could have been the white woman's child), or the mother of Joseph Nabors' children (who could have been the white woman or her child). Most of them are not named, but it gives you a starting place. The part about the African-American son appears to have been true, at any rate, so it's possible the other part of the story is, too.
If you have any questions, need further assistance, or would like to get a copy of the estate record in question, don't hesitate to contact me off-list at cdulmage@greenvillelibrary.org Best of luck with your research!

Sincerely,
Cori Dulmage
Carolina First South Carolina Room
Greenville County Library System
cdulmage@greenvillelibrary.org
(864) 242 5000 x2162

Posted: 17 Jul 2012 7:25PM GMT
Cori---Thank you for your help. Yes Newton Sullivan was the 1/2 black child. I have been to the Sullivan Reunion many times and there was talk about the 1/2 black child and the white child but no one has ever said who the white child was. Family of the 1/2 black child has been to the reunion so I know about this child.

I have just became interested in this white child after 35 years of research.

What would be the charge for copies of this will? Thank you---------James E. Clark

Posted: 17 Jul 2012 7:34PM GMT
Dear Mr. Sullivan,

our fee for copies of estate records is $15 -- this will include not just the will, which is the only part of the record I looked at, but all the supporting documentation, of which there was quite a bit, and which might contain further information of interest. If you email me at cdulmage@greenvillelibrary.org or post your email address here, I can send you a copy of our research request form.

Sincerely,
Cori Dulmage
Carolina First South Carolina Room
Greenville County Library System
cdulmage@greenvillelibrary.org
(864) 242 5000 x2162

Posted: 17 Jul 2012 7:34PM GMT
Sorry! I meant Mr. Clark! :)

Posted: 17 Jul 2012 7:42PM GMT
Hey!!!! That was my fater. Mr. Clark. Ha! Ha!

Posted: 17 Jul 2012 7:45PM GMT
OK!!! I see why you said Mr Clark. I read that post first.

My name and address is:::
James E. Clark
P.O. Box 427
Houston, Ms
662-456-5255

Posted: 17 Jul 2012 7:54PM GMT
Hi Mr. Clark,

I'll be happy to mail a copy of the form to your home address, but it would be quicker to attach it to an email -- I tried to attach it to a post to this message board, but it's a .pdf file, which the system didn't like.

Cori

Posted: 17 Jul 2012 8:50PM GMT
OK. --------james

You may be able to attach it to my e-mail address and not rootsweb

Posted: 17 Jul 2012 9:35PM GMT
Hi James,

Yes, that's my hope. I'm going to need you to either email me directly at cdulmage@greenvillelibrary.org or type your email address into a message board post. The message board's system is designed to protect the privacy of people who post there, so your email address doesn't appear on any of our recent communications.

Thanks!
Cori
per page

Find a board about a specific topic