Search for content in message boards

I am a Kivela

I am a Kivela

Posted: 27 Mar 2002 5:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
I too am a Kivela. My great grandfather emmigrated through Ellis Island fromTaivalkoski Finland in the early 1900's... My great grandmother was Riita Kaisa Parkisiniemi also from Taivalkoski. They moved to the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. Anybody with info on how I could trace this back further, please let me know at kivelajen@yahoo.com. Thank you

Re: I am a Kivela

Posted: 20 Jun 2013 10:41PM GMT
Hello!

Seeing the date on your original queery makes me wonder if you are still using the site, but you never know. It is not every day that you run across another Parkkisenniemi. It seems there is a slight difference in surname spelling, but considering they are both from Taivalkoski, I somehow think we may be related.... So, my great great grandmother emmigrated from Taivalkoski Finland with her mother, my great great great grandmother. My 2x great grandmother was a child at the time. My 2x great grandmother was Priita Stiina Parkkisenniemi (1887-1964), and she later changed her name to Bertha Parks and married Joseph Somero. My 3x great grandmother was Kaisa Parkkisennimi (1859-1940). I do not know who Priita Stiina's father was considering Kaisa (and Priita Stiina) goes by her maiden name. Kaisa's father was Jaako Parkkisenniemi. My family did settle in the Upper Penninsula as well...
So, in all likelihood we are distantly related...

~Marissa

Posted: 21 Jun 2013 12:08PM GMT
Classification: Lookup

Posted: 21 Jun 2013 8:58PM GMT
Thank you Alicia!

Just curious about how you went about finding this record though? It does match up with my relatives, but the dates and a couple of the names are a little different which makes me curious about how accurate my records are... My great uncle Charlie's research has largely shaped my own, so I would definitely like to let him know if something is a little off.

~Marissa

Posted: 22 Jun 2013 5:22PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2013 6:01PM GMT
Here's the correct family:
http://www.sukuhistoria.fi/sshy/kirjat/Kirkonkirjat/taivalko...

Priita Stiina (born 26 FEB 1887) in Taivalkoski can be found here, but it only opens to FFHA members:
http://www.sukuhistoria.fi/sshy/sivut/jasenille/paikat.php?b...

As you probably already knew, there's no information on her father.

According to the 1891-1900 communion book Kaisa (born 24 MAR 1859 in Pudasjärvi) moves to America in 1890 (Priita Stiina has a similar marking in the children's book). Kaisa's father Jaakko Simunanpoika (born 2 MAY 1823 in Pudasjärvi) dies 27 FEB 1900. Her mother Kaisa Kreeta Paavontytär (born 17 SEP 1820 in Kuusamo) is still alive in 1900.

Taivalkoski births are found in Pudasjärvi prior to 1875, and communion books up to 1849.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic