Search for content in message boards

Manley's of Ballina, Cty Mayo, Ireland

Manley's of Ballina, Cty Mayo, Ireland

Posted: 27 Mar 2004 11:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for any information on the Manley's from
Ballina Cty. Mayo Ireland. Brigit, Cormac, John,
Catherine and more. They came to the USA in the late
1800's or early 1900s. and settled in Boston.

Re: Manley's of Ballina, Cty Mayo, Ireland

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 11:23PM GMT
My great-grandfather was Patrick Joseph Manley born 1841 in Ballina. He was taken to England during the famines by his father John Manley (1791-1871) and Dominick Manley (1804-1885). I have the death certificates for both of them and have located John's grave. It sounds like your line left after this time. I have gone through the LDS microfilm for Co Mayo and located three John Manleys in the 1856 Griffith's valuation. I can share what I have. I have also been in touch with a couple of other Manley's from Ballina.
I am looking for the descendents of Vincent Manley born 1873 'Vin' who went to Ontario, Canada

Posted: 31 Jan 2008 11:33AM GMT
Surnames: Manley
I'm not sure where we left off, or if I have replied to
this post. Maybe one of the John Manley's that you
found is my great-grandfather. On a trip to Ireland
in the 90's, I was told that the Manley name in Mayo
had almost fanished! I never did get to Ballina, but
was told this by a young man in Galway who was also of
Manley decent.
My other ancesters from Ireland were O'Malley, and
they're everywhere!!!

Posted: 31 Jan 2008 4:33PM GMT
I researched variations of Manley, Manly, Munnelly and Monnelly in the 1856 - 1857 Griffiths. With a few exceptions only one form of the name was recorded in each parish. The name is concentrated in a 7 by 7 by 5 mile triangle bound by Ballina, Crossmolina and North. It is confined West of the Moy River. I concluded the name originated in the area.

Only a handful of people used Manley or Manly in that area that time. I can only find one person who I think was an 'English Manley'. If you Google Munnelly and Mayo you find real people living there today using the original name. If you Google Manley Mayo you find people like us whose relatives emmigrated long ago and changed their name. As a result it may appear that the name Manley is dying out. It may be that Manley has never been widely used in the area.

There were two men named John Manley or Manly in 1856, A man I call "John the Farmer" and another "John in the Alley" Others were named John Munnelly or Monnelly. I know now for certain that my John left at lease five years earlier. There was a third John Manley, "John the Voter" who owned a small amount of land which allowed him to vote. He was on the voter roles in 1850. He was gone by 1856 or lost property. It is possible this man left the country and is someone's ancestor.

I do know that my John, let's call him "Paul's John", had a father named Patrick who was a farmer. He moved to Stamford, England and appears to have sold clothing in the market there.

Re: Manly/Manley NC/SC

Posted: 1 Feb 2008 5:04PM GMT
Surnames: Manly/Manley; Searcy, Stepp, Henderson, Rickman, Volrath/Vollrath, Orr, Crenshaw
That Manly/Manley name is really difficult in researching.
After a long search, I found my Grandfather: Allen Judson Manly and family in the 1930 census with the name spelled "Monley". I have not located them in the 1920 census.
Any new links to my William Manley and your John in Laurens Co SC?

Re: Manly/Manley NC/SC

Posted: 1 Feb 2008 5:49PM GMT
He's probably a diferent line than mine. "Paul's John" is buried in England. My grandfather and his brother came from Stamford and Peterborough England between 1899 and 1909 and I know everyone who is descended from them.

My suggestion is that if you think "Audrey's John" had roots in Ireland, look in that direction. The largest group of Manleys in Ireland are in Cork, Ireland. My guess is that the majority of Manley's in the South trace back to the "English Manleys" who originated in Cheshire, England and came here before Irish immigration took off during the famine.

Posted: 7 Mar 2010 2:13AM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 20 Mar 2011 11:51PM GMT

Posted: 7 Mar 2010 3:11AM GMT
Surnames: Munnelly, Munley, Manley, Monnelly

I would be interested in talking to you more about this family. There are a couple Pennsylvania Munley/Manley families in the census records with Cormac as a given name. Also, my own great-great grandfather was from the Belmullet area in Erris. My ancestor's family emigrated to the Pensylvania coal mining area.

I am the administrator of the Manley y-DNA surname project at familytreeDNA.com .

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Manley/default.aspx

We are slowly building a fairly good database of y-DNA of the descendants of the Mayo ancestors with Manley, Munley, Monnelly, and Munnelly as their surname. As part of that effort, I am also collecting family trees of emigrants to the US who can trace their families in Mayo.

Both of these efforts are necessary if we are to connect these families.

Thank you,

Marianne Manley Granoff
Albuquerque, NM
granoff@zianet.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic