Search for content in message boards

John Davey of Walthamstow, Essex and London c1900

John Davey of Walthamstow, Essex and London c1900

Posted: 6 Jun 2009 2:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Davey
I am seeking any information on the family of John Davey, a Printer in London in the late 1800s and up to the 1920s.
He resided in Walthamstow in London's East End

Re: John Davey of Walthamstow, Essex and London c1900

Posted: 5 Jan 2011 8:19PM GMT
Surnames: Davey
I have a John Tom Davey in my family, who died third quarter of 1926, possibly in Poplar, in east London. He was born about mid-1876, in Mere, Wiltshire.

Unfortunately I know nothing else about him, but have quite a lot of informatin going back up to five generations prior.

Best regards,
Ant

Posted: 14 Feb 2011 6:34PM GMT
Why do you want to know? My husbands great,great grandfather was a John Davey - a printer - from Walthamstow.

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 7:02AM GMT
Hi Eileen, Sounds promising. My G'G'father John Davey married Annie Boyle

in the 1890s but I can find no record of the marriage.
They had 6 or 7 children:
Mabel b 1898
John Ernest b 1900 (my G'father)
Anne b 1902 m Edmond Smith a policeman
and I have just discovered from the 1911 census that there were others about whom I know nothing.
I have detailed history of Annie Boyle's family, but cannot trace John Davey back any further.
I know that some of the children migrated to Canada and my G'father migrated to Australia in 1920.
I am happy to share any info I have.

Paul Davey, Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 7:07AM GMT
I have no knowledge of a wiltshire connection to my Davey ancestors. They all seem to be from Essex or London

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 10:23PM GMT
Just to clarify Eileen, I formerly had an account with ancestry as cabins177 and have recently rejoined with a new email address as paulrobert51.

Posted: 17 Feb 2011 3:45PM GMT
Hello, Sorry not got back sooner. Although our Daveys are from Walthamstow at same time as your Daveys, don't think they are the same Johns. But not to say one of the brothers & sisters in the stem might have had your John as an offspring - although there is a conincidence I will explain. My husbands great grandfather was Fred Davey (1894-1964), his brother was a John William Davey (1901-1980), and strangely he went to Australia between 1920's 1926'sh, but returned. Well their father another Frederick (1866-1925) married Ada Lucy Brown (1870-1951), well it was her father who was the Printer. Frederick senior father was John Davey (1834-1869) who was a Carman. So we have printer but he is on the Ada Brown side. When I get a change I'll have a look at the male Davey's from older Johns offspring - there was a Charles John (1860) who could have had your John Davey - the age is possible. I'll let you know if I find him. Regards Eileen

Posted: 17 Feb 2011 9:59PM GMT
Thanks Eileen. Our John Davey, the printer was born c 1869, and gives his birthplace as Walthamstow, but I cannot find a record for it online. Do you know if local records exist?

Posted: 22 Feb 2011 8:51PM GMT
I'll get back to you. Eileen

Posted: 22 Feb 2011 10:13PM GMT
Hello Paul, Might have some help for you. 1871 census shows a John aged 1, born Walthamstow, Essex. Father - John Abraham Davey (35 born South Weald, Brentwood, Essex), Mother - Emma (31 born North Weald, Brentwood, Essex), other children Alice (9), Emily (5 born Chingford, Essex). John Abraham Davey listed as a gardener. They were living Churchfields, Walthamstow. Brentwood not that greater distance from Walthamstow.
Now - in the 1881 census,there is a John Davey born about 1872 who is a resident in Late Shorditch Industrial School, Brentwood, Essex. He is listed in a long line of children all coming from 'Hackney' - Hackney not far from Walthamstow - it could be wrong and whoever wrote the children down just said Hackney to them all. I wondered if John learnt his 'printer' trade at the industrial school.
The next finding of him is in the 1901 census with his wife Annie (29 - born in Yorkshire), children Mabel (3 born Pimlico, London) and John E (11 months - born Pimlico, London).
Hope this is of some help. John Abraham Davey vanishes for the 1881 census - may be he died - thats why John younger is in the school. There is an Emily - she is in service. Good luck in your searching.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic