Search for content in message boards

JOHNSTON Johnson HERNDON

JOHNSTON Johnson HERNDON

Posted: 27 Jul 2007 12:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: JOHNSON Johnston HERNDON

Hoping to connect with anyone descending from Hallie Bell Johnson (or Johnston) and her husband Joseph Daniel Herndon Sr.

Hallie was born Sep 24 1905 in Montgomery county TX and died Sep 04 1993 in Jefferson county TX. She was the daughter of Silas J. Johnson and Mary Mizell, grand-daughter of John Wesley Johnson and Nancy Cowart, great granddaughter of Jesse Johnson and Matilda Parker ... all of Montgomery co TX.

Joseph Daniel Herndon was born about 1902 in TX (probably Montg. co) and died in 1936 in Liberty county after 13 years of marriage.

Joe left Hallie widowed with 3 children :

EVELYN LOUISE HERNDON
+ Christopher Columbus Smith
JOSEPH DANIEL HERNDON JR
+ Ercilia Marie Benavides
MARY E. HERNDON (no info on Mary)

According to census documents, Joe Herndon's father was from FL. His mother was born about 1879 in AR and I only know her as Ella T. On the 1920 and 1930 census of Liberty co TX Ella is divorced and carrying the surname HAM. On the 1920 census ALL of the Herndon children in her household are using the surname HAM.

Joseph Daniel Herndon's KNOWN siblings were :

ISHAM YOUNGER HERNDON
+ Ann Elizabeth "Elsie" Bailey
CHARLES COLUMBUS HERNDON SR
+ Esther Mae Edgar
MABEL HERNDON (no info)
ANNIE HERNDON (no info)
PEARL HERNDON (no info)

I have tried to place Joe in the descendants of Isham Herndon who came to Montg. co TX about 1881 from GA but have been unsuccessful.

As for Hallie's JOHNSON line, they arrived in Montg co about 1835 from Tuscaloosa co AL.

Please let there be someone out there who can help.

Thank You,
Nate Parrish

Re: JOHNSTON Johnson HERNDON

Posted: 13 Aug 2009 10:51PM GMT
You were asking about Joe jr. He belonged to Grandpa Gharley and Elsie

Posted: 13 Aug 2009 11:43PM GMT

BINGO !

Would you happen to know anything about the Johnston side of Joseph's family. Specifically, I am trying to determine why Hallie's father, Silas J. Johnston (wife Mary Aderine Mizell) changed his name to JOHNSTON instead of his birth name of JOHNSON. He was a son of John Wesley Johnson and Nancy Cowart of Splendora. None of Silas's other siblings changed their last name.

Hope you can help,
nate

Posted: 13 Aug 2009 11:46PM GMT
I would be happy to go through the Herndon family bible and see what i can come up with, if you would like

Posted: 15 Aug 2009 12:05AM GMT

Yes, please do. And also, let me know how you are related to the Herndon family.

Thanks,
nate

Posted: 16 Aug 2009 4:48AM GMT
Yes im related. My grandfather was Ishan Younger Herndon My father was Jack F. Herndon Charles qas my ggreat grandfather.They were from Liberty, Tx. We still have family there.

Posted: 16 Aug 2009 6:07PM GMT

This is the Herndon line that has given me so much trouble.

Isham Younger Herndon had a sister named Mabel. I know nothing more about her.

My research shows that Isham's other siblings were :

(1) an infant sister born Jun 08 1897, died Jul 12 1898

(2) Charles Columbus Herndon, married Esther Mae Edgar

(3) Joseph Daniel Herndon Sr., married Hallie Bell Johnston

(4) Annie Arzola Herndon, married first to William Richard James Sr. and then to Mr. Powers

(5) Pearl Herndon, married W. W. Mitchell

Does this rhyme with your research?
nate

Posted: 19 Oct 2009 11:44PM GMT
You were asking about Joe Herndon and Isham Younger Herndon were brothers. The names i can read out of the family bible are Josey daughter of Charley and Ella herndon born June 6, 189 died July 12 1898 ,Charley B. born 10-5-1899 joseph D. Born Aug.21 1902 Pinky Herndon died Aug. 12 1866 Jim Frank Terrell born 1-5,1919 Isham herndon 1-6-1820 Hanceford B. herndon June 9,1865. The pages are starting to fade but will keep trying to read the rest.

Posted: 22 Oct 2009 3:51PM GMT
Surnames: HERNDON Terrell SPLENDORA

Pam,

It is good to hear from you again. I can add some more insight into a few of these people.

First, little Josy Herndon who died in 1898 is buried at Splendora Cemetery. Her marker is made of limestone and is horribly disintegrated. The beginning of her first name and the last two letters of her last name as well as the year of her death were still visible when I transcribed this cemetery in the early 1990s. Your bible record positively identifies this grave.

Second, your bible indicates that Pinky died in 1866 and even though I did not know exactly when she died I knew it was before 1870. Another Herndon researcher who is not immediately related to Richard John Herndon and wife Pinky, told me that he was relateively sure Pinky remarried to William Burke in Hamilton co FL on May 13, 1875. He has no proof that the Pinky who married Burke is the same one that married John Herndon. When I dug into that Burke family I found too many discrepancies regarding that Pinky and I am practically positive our Pinky is not the same as the one he suspects. Further, your bible records the date of her death nine years prior to the Burke marriage. I am happy with your record.

Third, I was really surprised to see the name of Jim Frank Terrell. He is also buried at Splendora Cemetery. He was the son of Arthur Clark and Liller Mehilia Terrell (Liller buried at Splendora as LIller Clark even though she remarried to J.W. Lockridge). I have Frank's death certificate and it shows he was born at Splendora on Jan 05, 1910 and died of bronchopneumonia at Jefferson Davis Hospital in Houston on May 04, 1938. Burial was at Splendora on May 06. The certificate also states that Frank had a "cleft palate with harelip and frequently aspirated food". He was 28 years, 3 months and 29 days old. Last residence was general delivery Humble where he had lived for 7 years. Prior to that they lived at Splendora. Informant was his aunt Mrs. John Terrell of Humble (John being Liller's brother who died at Splendora in 1897 and is also buried there. He was kicked in the head by a mule). Frank's death certificate identifies him as Frank Clark which was his birth name but his tombstone identifes him as Frank Terrell. The difference in the names is due to the fact that Frank was raised by his grandparents Connor and Caroline (Liller's parents). On the 1910 census of pct 6 Liberty co TX he is about 4 months old and living in their household, identified as "unnamed Terrell" at Ancestry. There is no evidence found yet to prove that Jim actually took on the Terrell surname.

Hansford Pleasant Herndon ... according to his tombstone and death certificate he was born on June 09, 1868. Maybe the page in your bible appears to be June 09, 1865.

Charles Columbus Herndon ... trombstone and death certificate show him born October 05, 1899. He is buried at Fairlawn Memorial Park in Liberty, TX and I wish to God someone would go to that cemetery and transcribe it. There are a lot of Herndon's and more Terrell's buried there.

Also, this Herndon and Terrell line have quite a few family members buried at the Tetter (NOT Teeter) Cemetery at Humble.

Thank you for all you have done to help with this Herndon and Terrell family and let's keep in touch. I am working on a history of Splendora and it's pioneer families (Herndon being one of them) and will be getting my little book online very soon. My next step is to try to get people to share pictures and be willing to let them be displayed publicly. First things first, though ... I need to get all of this history together in chronological order and then into somewhat of a book-form.

Happy Hunting,
nate

Posted: 22 Oct 2009 10:38PM GMT
I will keep trying to read the bible, but it is getting hard to see ink is fading. My grandfather was Isham Younger Herndon. My father is Jack forrest Herndon he was the oldest child,he died 10-11-2007. He had a brother who just pasted away Wallace Lee Herndon then their is Jean and Martha, and Barba Ann ,she died a few months back.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions