Search for content in message boards

Francis Marion Shields

Francis Marion Shields

Judith Shields Hopper (View posts)
Posted: 23 Dec 2000 2:03PM GMT
I am looking for information regarding parents/siblings of my great grandfather, Francis Marion Shields. He was born 8/19/1855 (location unknown) and married Sarah Elizabeth McGhghy (born 3/28/1866 in Bloomfield, Iowa; daughter of George Mary McGhghy) on 3/27/1984 in Bloomfield, Iowa. They took a wagon train headed for California in 1888, but settled in Kearney, Nebraska after the wagon train was attacked by Indians in western Nebraska in August of that year. Anyone with information on relatives of either Francis or Sarah, pledge contact me.

John Henry Shields

Betty Hodges (View posts)
Posted: 23 Dec 2000 2:48PM GMT
Judith I believe I have heard the name Francis Marion Shields. I discovered my grandfather was born June 5 1885 and died July 30, 1954. I believe my grandparents where married in Ok. or Tx. because my grandmother was in a tornado when my uncle Marvin was a baby. Grandma saw the tornado coming and had no where to go so she sat on the sofa and held my uncle. The tornado took the house and set down the road about a 1/4 mile, my grandfather found her setting on the sofa with the baby and the house in a ditch. Our great grandfather might be brother. Thanks for your reply. Betty

re: John Henry Shields

Posted: 23 Dec 2000 2:58PM GMT
Betty - Thanks for responding -- certainly sounds likely that your greatgrandfather may have been brother to mine as I've heard "rumours" of sibling(s)of my greatgrandfather and his wife who lived in Oklahoma for sure. Does the name "Hose" (sp?) mean anything to you? My dad mentioned my ggrandfather had a brother who went by that name. What was your ggrandfather's name? (You may email me at MareynaJ@aol.com if you want.) Judi

F. M. Shields

Posted: 26 Feb 2001 10:27PM GMT
Edited: 10 Feb 2003 1:17AM GMT
I have just found out my great grandfather's name was Francis Marion Shields. He was living in Al. in 1855 when my grandfather was born. I know he had relatives that went to Texas and Louisiana. If you think we might connect you can let me know at memeellajane@aol.com Thanks, Jane

Re: F. M. Shields

Posted: 11 Aug 2003 1:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
my husbands grandfather was James Brewster Shields born in 1890-1895 aprx died 1963 and was from Alabama...father had a grist mill,,,James was a carpentar and married Amanda Jane Thrash in Alabama...I understand she was a cook for the laborers....then they moved to Louisiana and farmed there...Had 7 children Winston, Mary, Helen, Ted,Harold, and Baby Ruth who died young,
and Jewel Elizabeth who was my husbands mother.....She married Luther Everett Green and had Lewis, Jean, Barbara, Charles....My husband is Billy and he was the middle child....His mother died in Port Arthur Texas....

any info please e-mail me...my children would like to know some history of their ggrandfather ....he was from Ireland had reddish hair and the skin of the Irish...sorta reddish and fair...Thanks so much if you can help us...

Posted: 11 Aug 2003 1:57AM GMT
My great-grandfather, Francis Marion Shields, was born in 1855 but I don't know where for sure. I do know that by 1884 he was in Bloomfield, Iowa where he married Sarah Elizabeth McGhghy, and they headed west, ending up settling in Nebraska. Do you know where your husband's grandfather's people were before Alabama? That may be a starting place to see if we're connected. I know very little about my great-grandfather's family and am eager to gather as much information as possible. He had 8 children beginning in 1885 -- most all of them stayed in or around Kearney, Nebraska. He was a teamster and died on August 26, 1932. Judi

Re: James Brewster Shields /Amanda Jane Thrash

Janie Green (View posts)
Posted: 11 Aug 2003 3:17AM GMT
no sorry, my husband does not know where they were before Alabama...He is trying to get some info from the relatives...but no one seems to know anything...the only thing we know is they came from Wetcompka Alabama near Montgomery Alabama.....and first moved to Arcadia Louisiana where they are buried ........James Brewster Shields and his wife Amanda jane Thrash...as well as their son Winston.....they later moved to Oak Grove Louisiana where they farmed....
James Brewster Shieldsborn in 1890-1895 and died in 1963 had Wallace, Bennie, Brothers,,,Homie, sister ,Dan&Hugh( Twins)and possibly another sister worked at a Rexall store in Monroe LA.....

Amanda Jane Thrash died in 1985 and was about 92 yrs old was also in Alabama...and married him there.....and her brothers were Harry Shreveport LA and Herman.....who lived in Boise City Okla as well as two sisters one named Ruby McKnight in Boise City OKla and another sister in Arkansas

Janie Green (View posts)
Posted: 11 Aug 2003 3:30AM GMT
We only know that they came from Wetumpka Alabama.....and moved to Arcadia La...JaMES Brewster Shields and Amanda Jane Thrash were married in Wetumpka Alabama as far as we know.

Ella Jane Shields Holtmann (View posts)
Posted: 11 Aug 2003 6:10PM GMT
James Brewster Shields was my Uncle, my dad was his youngest brother. Dan and Hugh(my dad) were twins. My mother's sister married Harry Thrash. What do you need from my info. I really didn't know much until several years ago when I happened along on the internet and found a lady who has been doing the Shields History for a long time. She has documentation. Let me know what you need. Jane

Posted: 11 Aug 2003 8:54PM GMT
Hi Jane -- about all I know is what I told you before -- my great grandfather's name, year of birth and that he married in Iowa. I would really love to find out who his parents were and his siblings, where he and they were born and work back from there. I'm eager to hear from anyone who may have a Francis Marion Shields showing up in their family tree who lived in Iowa and Nebraska. Judi
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions