Search for content in message boards

Wood Family of Hempstead, LI, New York

Wood Family of Hempstead, LI, New York

Posted: 4 Oct 2004 8:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wood
Hi, I'm looking for anyone doing research on the Wood family that originated in Hempstead, Queens County, Long Island, New York. I can get back to my Wood line to John Wood of 1774. I've got tons of info. on the Wood's that lived in that area and am working to make as many connections between them as I can.
I've got some educated guesses as to who John Wood's father was, but nothing proved yet.

-Janet Wood

Re: Wood Family of Hempstead, LI, New York

Posted: 12 Oct 2004 2:12PM GMT
My grandfather was James Ballingall Wood from Fife, Elizabeth Irvine Ross , Aberdeen. Moved to Hempstead ,NY,(Nassau County) not Queens,(but I do not know if it was Quenns county at that time, but there is still a Queens county). They moved there in 1923 from Scotland.If this is part of your info please feel free to email me. Maybe cousin ...........Kathy

Posted: 12 Oct 2004 2:44PM GMT
Edited: 11 Mar 2005 8:10PM GMT
HI, no your Wood is not related. My Wood's settled in Queens Co. (which is now Nassau County) back in the 1600's. They immigrated from England.
Good luck with your search.

Frank Coston (View posts)
Posted: 25 Nov 2004 3:32PM GMT
I have traced my Wood relations back to Long Island. Could you bring me up todate, as we may be related. Jcdrank35@aol.com

Posted: 16 Dec 2004 4:34PM GMT
Edited: 17 Jan 2005 6:04PM GMT
Surnames: WOOD, WEEKS, AVERY
Hi, I have a Samuel Wood Born 1722 England & his Wife Rebecca Weeks Born 1737 England, They Lived in Rockway,Long Island,NY.

They had a son Daniel Born 1766 England & his Wife Sarah Avery Born 1764 England, they also lived in Rockway for a time.

email me @ home at doow124141@msn.com
Thanking you in advance, Bill Wood

Posted: 17 Dec 2004 2:02PM GMT
Frank, If you give me some names of the Wood's that you've traced back to Long Island, I'll be better able to tell you if we connect. Otherwise it is too cumbersome to list all the one's I've come across for my family.

Thanks, Janet

Posted: 17 Dec 2004 2:07PM GMT
Bill, I don't think that Daniel Wood will connect with my Wood's. The last ancestor I can trace is John Wood who was born in 1774 and I'm betting that he was born on Long Island of either the Jeramiah Wood clan (one of the original families to the Hempstead area in the 1600's) or the John "mariner" Wood family who were original settlers to RI and some of them came down to LI Hempstead area in the 1600's. The 1700's is where I'm currently stuck and it is a real tough time period to make connection - no vital statistics kept (church records appear to be gone).
I beleive if I can get back one or two more generations I will be home free - as both the Wood clans I've mentioned are well researched (but mostly just into the mid to late 1700's).

-janet

George T. Wallace (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jan 2005 3:37PM GMT
Edited: 30 Apr 2009 12:51PM GMT
Surnames: Wood, Mount, Limond
Hi Janet,
I have a MARY EMMA WOOD listed in a Kings County 1906 probated will of MARY JANE MOUNT. MARY EMMA is connected to the WALLACE, MOUNT and LIMOND FAMILY OF NYC. If you can help I will appreciate it very much. I will be glad to share any info. that interests you. Thank you. George T. Wallace GWal398146@aol.com

Posted: 23 Jan 2005 8:33PM GMT
Surnames: Wood, Cole, Sprague, Gidney, Woodworth
Is this family related to the Jonathan & Hannah Wood who were in Huntington & Jamaica, then moved to Wilton Connecticut?

The pedigree of Wood in the Phoenix Whitney pages at this site -
http://www.whitneygen.org/archives/extracts/phoenix/p0101-01...

That source shows there were several sons who could be the father of your John Wood of 1774.

I'm descended from the son of Jonathan & Hannah - Jonathan b.1691 - his son David married Dorothy Cole - their son Nathaniel married Zilpah Sprague - their son James married Phebe Gidney & Theodora Woodworth - the son of his first marriage was my 3xgreat grandfather James Kilbourne Wood.

Posted: 6 Feb 2005 3:40PM GMT
Hi Bill, Janet again, I was just looking over some resources and I find in my material that Samuel Wood and Rebecca Weekes were married in Oldbridge N.J. in 1752. They lived at Hick's Neck in Hempstead South (Long Island) and had 7 children: Samuel, Epenetus, Elsie, Miles, Martin, Stephen, and David. No Daniel.
I get this information from Matthew Yavner Wood's book, "Early Wood Families on Long Island" - 1978. He surmizes that Samuel Wood may have been a son of Jeremiah Wood. He states that the Seversmith Manuscripts have a good record for all of Samuel's children.
I certainly is confusing trying to figure out all the Wood men from the Long Island area!
Just when you think you might have the right connection, something else comes to light to dismiss it!
I'm still searching....
per page

Find a board about a specific topic