Search for content in message boards

George A. Blake

George A. Blake

Posted: 7 Oct 2003 11:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Blake
Does anyone there in know of a George Blake who died in Bernalillo County in 1925 leaving a widow, Juanita, and an adopted daughter named Anna? I am particularly interested in any sons he may have had. Would appreciate any info or clues you may have.
Maria

Re: George A. Blake

Posted: 14 Aug 2004 7:26PM GMT
Edited: 15 Aug 2004 6:54PM GMT
I know this George A. Blake he was the half brother of my great great Grandmother Refufio Acosta de Branch, I am looking for his family can you help me?

Max

Posted: 17 Aug 2004 1:21AM GMT
According to census records, George A. Blake was b. in NM in the 1850's. His father was b. in Pennsylvania and his mother in Old Mexico. I believe that he was the son of Gen. George Alexander Hamilton Blake of Pa. who fought in the Mexican War and who was stationed in NM in the 1850's. If you will give me time to look at my notes on him, I will send the exact dates. That about all I have on him, because I could not find out if he had any sons. My grandfather was named George Blake and he had a brother named Alec, which is why I thought that George A. might have been their father.

Max Martinez (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 2004 2:02AM GMT
Well this George A. Blake was the son of Maria Augstina Carena of Chihuahua Mexico. I was told his father's name was Charles Blake but I have never seen any proof of this. I know he was born in New Mexico I think Santa fe in 1855 he is 4 years in the 1860 census with his mother although she is listed as 70 years? and they mispelled his name as Black. but I'm pretty sure this his him. My grandfather had told me of his grandmothers half brother George Blake. I have a very old photo of his mother Maria Augstina Carena taken around 1840 she was from a very well off family and was first married to a man by the name of Apolonio Acosta, my great greatgrandmother's father.

Posted: 17 Aug 2004 2:26AM GMT
I just found a Refugio Acosta listed in the 1860 census of Santa Fe, NM. She is listed as b. in Mexico in 1843. There is also a Francisca Acosta b. Mexico 1845. They were pupils at the Female Academy in Santa Fe. Try googling "Female Academy" and "Santa Fe, NM" to see if there is anything on the web about that institution. If not, try the NM Historical Society. It is highly unlikely that there are stilll records,but you might find out a little about what sort of education young ladies received back then. Have you ever tried the Acosta family message boards or the Chihuahua boards?

Geri Knoebel (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 2004 4:16PM GMT
I live in the South Valley on Blake Road. Was the road named after George A. Blake?

Posted: 17 Aug 2004 11:19PM GMT
I don't know where South Valley is. George A. Blake lived in Bernalillo County when he listed himself as retired. He was a census taker in 1920. If I can find those notes, I will verify that he was listed earlier as a miner. However, I found another Blake in AZ who listed himself as a miner, and he owned several mines. So, Geo. A. may have owned a mine in the vicinity of Blake Road. Do you know whether there were mines in that area in the late 1800's? It is also possible that he and his family lived on that road when it was relatively uninhabited, and the post office named the road for them.That used to be done in rural areas because most residents knew where certain families lived and thus would give directions by naming the families that lived on that road.

Posted: 18 Aug 2004 2:33AM GMT
I just went to the Acosta message board and found a message dated 30 Oct 1999 that might be of help to us.
Maria Acosta, my paternal ggrandmother, married Alejandro Branch, Taos NM 1861, father Apolonio Acosta, Mother Agustina Careno, born Chihuahua, Mexico, family also Blake. Maria taught for the Sisters of Loretto." sent in by Micaheal Branch.
Let me know what you discover, and I shall return the favor.

Posted: 20 Nov 2009 6:13PM GMT
On Familysearch I found death certificate info for George A. Blake. He died in 1927 and his wife was listed as Juanita, which I had already found on the census. His parents are listed as George Blake from Pennsylvania and Mariquita Acosta. I keep wondering if Major George A. H. Blake, later Brig. General, may have been his father. Blake was born in Pennsylvania and he was stationed in NM in mid- 1850's.

Posted: 11 Oct 2011 5:41AM GMT
According to George A. Blake's (b. Oct. 29, 1855 in Santa Fe)obituary in the Albuquerque Morning Journal Feb. 12. 1925, his father was Capt. H.A. Blake. It should have read "Major George A. H. Blake". Ancestry.com has recently posted some records of U.S Army from 1800's to early 1900's. In 1855-1856 Blake was a major stationed in N.M.
The obituary goes on to say that his mother was Mariquita Acosta of Santa Fe, and she died when George was just a few months old. That explains the difficulty in finding him on 1860 census. He was living with 70 year old grandmother (?) or great-aunt(?). I believe that he was the same George Blake who was listed at boarding school in Denver, CO in 1970.
George A. was the census enumerator for his precinct in 1920. His penmanship was beautiful, and his spelling shows that he was literate. Many census takers could not spell the names of states and made some amusing errors.
George A.'s father was a Brig. Gen. when he retired from U.S. Army. He died in his home town,, Philadelphia, PA.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions