Search for content in message boards

Cottuli de Cothi

Cottuli de Cothi

Nancy Campbell (View posts)
Posted: 19 Aug 2004 11:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Has anyone heard of the last name Cottuli de Cothi? It some how morphed to Cottuli and then Cotterly when it came to the states. Then you for any leads.

Re: Cottuli de Cothi

Posted: 12 Oct 2004 10:04PM GMT
Edited: 12 Oct 2004 10:21PM GMT
Surnames: Cottuli de Cothi
Dear Nancy,
In reply to your query, yes there are Cottuli de Cothis out here!
We know that some still live in Southern Ireland where my grandfather was born and there are some in the U.K. like me. We believe that one or more emmigrated to the U.S. and ditto to Australia. Are you a long lost relative? Would love to hear what you know, if anything, about the old family tree.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Marguerite Cottuli de Cothi (you see some of us still use the whole original name!)

Posted: 27 Dec 2005 8:51PM GMT
My mothers maiden name was Cottuly. Her fathers name was Cotterly. I believe he was from England originally and changed his name upon arrival in the states.
I have info on several Cottuly / Cotterly descendents if you are interested.

Posted: 22 Jan 2009 3:45AM GMT
Hi again! Heres what I have on my line of Cottulis who immigrated to the US.

1. ALBERT EDWARD COTTULI/COTTULY
Born: 03 Feb 1869 in Bethnal Green, London
Father: Frederick Thomas Cottuli De Cothi
Mother: Hannah Cockley (b.1837 Essex, England d.21 Sep 1934 Mass, USA)
Immigrated: about 1880 to Massachusetts (as per 1900, Suffolk, Mass. census & 1920 Providence, RI, census)
Marriage: Kate Lane (ca. 1897 in US)
Naturalized: about 1913
Death: 01 Sep 1938 in Los Angeles, California, USA
Notes: Lived in Massachusetts and Rhode Island before relocating to California between 1920 and 1930. He was also a Baker throughout his lifetime.

2. FREDERICK THOMAS COTTULI DE COTHI
Born: ca. 1828 in Brighton, Sussex, England
Father: Charles Felix Jasint Cottuli De Cothi (Baron)
Mother: Marrianne Cottuli De Cothi (b. ca 1791 Norfolk, England d.1879 London)
Marriage: Hannah Cockley in 1862
Death: Sep 1892 in London, England

3. Charles Felix Jasint Cottuli De Cothi
Born: ca. 1789 Ireland (possibly Spain)
Father: Unkown
Mother: Unkown
Occupation: Teacher of Language (1841 England Census, also have a list of teachers in the Liverpool area in 1853 showing a "Cottuli, Charles" being a teacher of French, German and Italian language and living on Duke Street (?).)
Death: Jun 1867 in London

Would love to find any info on the actual birth place of Charles Felix Jasint Cottuli De Cothi and/or his parents. He and his wife is also listed several times as Baron and Baroness or Burness in England Census'. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 22 Jan 2009 5:36AM GMT
Surnames: Cottuli de Cothi, Cotterly, Lane
Thank you for responding. You have motivated me to return to "the hunt"!
A few years ago a British friend was kind enough to spend hours looking through records and was able to order copies of a few of the birth records.
Albert and Kate Lane, were my GGrandparents. According to military papers when their son, Edward, my Grandfather, joined the Army he was a Cottuli. Not sure exactly when but, by the time they all moved to CA they're name became Cotterly.
I was told Charles Felix (an impoverished baron) and family were from Spain/Basque and at some point they moved to Ireland. Perhaps about the time of the famine they with at least their son Frederick went to England.
Their son Albert stayed in Ireland. One of Albert's sons, Ferdinand, moved to England (Bristol)later when he had young children.
I do not have a subscription to any data bases so my ability to retrieve information is limited.

Posted: 22 Jan 2009 6:32AM GMT
Albert and Kate were my GGrandParents also. My GrandFather was Arthur Albert Cottuly, Edwards brother.

I do have a subscription and have found a tremendous amount of info over the last month on the Cottuly/Cottuli/Cotterly and De Cothi's.

I'd be happy to share any and all of the info I have. Please contact me directly if interested. I'd like to hear more from "the family".

Posted: 22 Jan 2009 6:37AM GMT
Edited: 26 Jan 2009 7:04PM GMT
Surnames: Cottuli de Cothi
Fantastic. I loved "Uncle Art" and his cigar. How is Dorothy Anderson related to you?

Posted: 22 Jan 2009 6:48AM GMT
Edited: 26 Jan 2009 7:04PM GMT
Surnames: Claycomb, Anderson
I never knew my GrandFather as he and my GrandMother (Esther Eviline Claycomb) divorced before I was born.

My Mother (still living) did not know much about the family so everything I know I've found through research.

I don't have a Dorthy Anderson in my tree yet so I'm not sure how we are related.

Posted: 22 Jan 2009 6:56AM GMT
Edited: 26 Jan 2009 7:09PM GMT
I forgot about the divorce. My mother, Doris, would be Art's neice. Dorothy would be another neice. I believe Art's sister Gertrude is her mother.
I have a little info about Kate Lane and copies of birth registry in England for them.
I'd love to trade family information with you.

Posted: 22 Jan 2009 7:06AM GMT
You can contact me directly at:

rldearmond@hughes.net

I look forward to hearing from you and sharing notes.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions