Search for content in message boards

Edwards/Holloway Marriage 1860

Edwards/Holloway Marriage 1860

Posted: 7 Jan 2010 3:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Edwards, Holloway, Vannoy
Does anyone know of a marriage bond between a Holloway maybe Daniel, more likely Hardin and Susan Elizabeth Edwards? It could be in Alleghany/Ashe or Wilkes Counties, NC. They produced either one child Emily Edie Holloway or a son Eddie and a daughter Emly b ca 1863 and 1864.

Susan Elizabeth's parents are Richard "Dickie" and Edie Barton Edwards. The child is with her in her home with new husband Daniel Vannoy in 1870 census in Traphill, Wilkes County, NC; but is listed as male Eddie. In 1880 Emly Holloway is in the home of Susan Elizabeth's parents Richard and Eady Edwards in Cherry Lane, Alleghany, NC. I can't find anymore about this child (or these children) after this date. Susan Elizabeth Edwards and Daniel Vannoy later had several daughters together, one of whom was named Edie Frances Vannoy, but she is definitely not the child from Ms Edwards Holloway Vannoy's first marriage.

Alleghany Cty Heritage books say Ms Edwards was married to a Daniel Holloway who died in Civil War. I can't find a Daniel Holloway that died in the Civil War, but Hardin Holloway did. Hardin is listed as unmarried in all references I can find, but I wonder if they might have married just as he went off to war?

I have fairly complete info on Susan Elizabeth Edwards and Daniel Vannoy, their ancestry and progeny,as they are my g grandparents. I just would love to know more about her first marriage and the child or 2 children it produced.

Re: Edwards/Holloway Marriage 1860

Posted: 7 Jan 2010 7:49PM GMT
Surnames: Edwards, Vannoy, Holloway
I looked at everything I had but could not come up with a marriage for Susan to a Holloway. I had a hard time locating anything on Daniel and Susan Vannoy. I found them in the 1900 census but not in the 1880 census for the whole country. I think also the male/female item was a census taker error in selecting male or female on the sound of the name. I think it is logical to assume the name Edie is short for Edith, Susan's mothers name. I have not worked on the Edwards for some time and will probably not get to them until later this year. You can contact me at lokearnsATmarktwain.net Replace at with @

Leon

Posted: 7 Jan 2010 10:30PM GMT
Thanks for looking. I have not found them in 1880 either, but having visited their cabin just outside Stone Mtn State Park a few years ago(torn down now), I can imagine they were missed. {lived on Gristeltail Road) Daniel used to tell my dad he wished they'd stop messing with the county line. I think they did not move, but the county line did. Susan Elizabeth may also be shown as Betty or Betsy.

Posted: 22 Jul 2010 4:31PM GMT
Look for Daniel and family in Traphill, Wilkes Cty in 1880 dwelling 290 family 293 under the name Vennoy. Edie Barton m to Richard Edwards was actually usually spelled Eady. Still can't find anything on Eady Edie or Emly Holloway after the 1880 census where she reside with Richard and Eady Edwards. Daniel and Susan Elizabeth (Betty) Vannoy had by then named another daughter Edie. Dad remembered them as he spent many nights with them when he was young.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions