Search for content in message boards

Henderson Roll

Henderson Roll

Posted: 16 Apr 2010 1:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello I am searching to find the Henderson Roll on line. Could anyone look up Eades or Eads ?
THanks

Re: Henderson Roll

Posted: 16 Apr 2010 6:56PM GMT
Cindy

The Henderson Roll is a listing/census of around 16,000 Cherokee Citizens, residing in the Cherokee Nation (East) prior to their removal west under the terms of the Treaty of New Echota.

If your ancestors were residing outside of the Cherokee Nation at this time, they would not be considered Cherokee Citizens, and they would not be included in Cherokee Records.
Especially as the Cherokee Nation never had any Tribal lands in Kentucky.

Kathy Roberts
VA

Posted: 17 Apr 2010 4:13AM GMT
Thanks for your response. I understand that my ggrandmother was born in KY as was her father, however, either his mother or father or both were from Tennessee, per census records. Would that make a difference?

Posted: 17 Apr 2010 7:22PM GMT
Cindy

No, their place of birth would not make any difference. They were citizens of the United States, not Citizens of the Cherokee Nation.

It's possible you may have an ancestor who was Scottish or German, but when they left that country to live elsewhere, they gave up their Scottish or German citizenship and became a Citizen of the country they moved to.
The counrty they left would not maintain any further records of them, but they would still retain Scottish or German ancestry.

That's how it works with Cherokee/American Indian People.

Unforunately, there has been a lot of inaccurate, erroneous and misleading information posted on the internet.
Especially, regarding American Indian People.

I forgot to include in my initial reply that the Henderson Roll was taken in 1835.

Kathy Roberts
VA

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions