Search for content in message boards

Hoskins Family - NY - Quebec - Michigan

Hoskins Family - NY - Quebec - Michigan

Posted: 17 Jul 2003 12:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Dec 2005 12:14PM GMT
I am descended from Roswell Hoskins, who apparently was born in New York, spent some time in Quebec before coming to Michigan, where he died in 1883. His wife was Calista Craig, daughter of Thomas Craig and Harriet Church Craig. They emigrated from Canada to Michigan between 1853 and 1857. I'd like to discover who Roswell's parents were. I have some information but would like to have it verified. Would be happy to share my limited information. Susan

Re: Hoskins Family - NY - Quebec - Michigan

Linda Cooksey (View posts)
Posted: 29 May 2004 12:25PM GMT
Surnames: HOSKINS, RUSSELL, RODGERS, DYER
I have a Zachins HOSKINS age 83 b. NY with wife Bevana age 79 b. NY enumerated on the 1880 census of Wright Twp. Ottowa Co., MI with 3 grandchildren: a male Russell a Penny Rodgers and a Zacheus DYER age 18 b. MI No parents are listed with this little group. My interest lies in Gson Zacheus DYER who m. Mina C. PRATT of my Pratt lines. Mina Pratt was b. in St. Lawrence Co., NY near the Canadian border. Perhaps a connection? Linda

Posted: 29 May 2004 1:05PM GMT
Edited: 3 Dec 2005 12:14PM GMT
None of your names appear in my research. I will, however, keep your name and information on file should I come across a connection. Thanks for responding to my post! Susan

Posted: 3 Jan 2006 7:57AM GMT
Surnames: Hoskins
Have you found the father of Roswell? I am looking for info on Ira Hoskins likely born in NY about 1800 whose father was
probably Roswell. Maybe your Roswell and my Ira are
brothers. Ira lived in Ohio from 1810 census and I believe his
father Roswell died there in about 1820. Does this fit with
your info?

Posted: 3 Jan 2006 8:04AM GMT
Sory, Ira was first found in 1820 census in Ohio

Susan (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2006 2:14PM GMT
Surnames: Hoskins
Thanks for responding to my post. No, I have not found the parents of Roswell, but the information I do have leads me to believe they were never in Ohio. I believe Roswell went from New York to Quebec and then to Michigan, where he died. I will keep your name and e-mail address on file in case I come across a connection, though. I wish you well in your research. Susan

kathy lampe (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jan 2006 5:43AM GMT
Thanks, I am just wondering if your Roswell may have been my Ira's brother and he moved to Canada while the rest of the
family moved to Ohio. Kathy

Posted: 7 Dec 2006 6:59PM GMT
Surnames: Hoskins, Craig, Gillett, Spaulding, Savage, Lewis, Ward
We are decended from Roswell and have extensive documentation on the family. Joab Hoskins (son of Timothy & Rhoda GILLETT) and Lydia Spaulding in Shefford,Quebec had three daughters and three sons. Birentha m John SAVAGE the only one to remaine in Quebec. Eliza m Ezekiel LEWIS, Roxana m John WARD,John m Lucy LEWIS, Ephriam m Leonora LEWIS & Roswell m Calista CRAIG. Those that left along with Pere, Joab's brother and family, moved to Ohio. Pere stayed in Ohio. Roxana moved to Missouri and then to TX, The three brothers moved to Michigan, Genesee Co. & Saginaw Co. They were on the county line so they were just a mile apart. Barbara

Posted: 20 Jan 2007 8:36PM GMT
Surnames: Hoskins Lewis Savage Spaulding
Hello Barbara,

I live in Shefford and can assure you that Eliza Hoskins and husband Ezekiel Collins Lewis II lived and are buried in North Shefford, Quebec, Canada.

Joab Hoskins wife, Lydia Spaulding remarried to Ezekiel Lewis Sr. ( Ezekiel Collins Lewis' father) in 1820 in Shefford and had a daughter named Adaline Lewis born Feb. 24, 1821 in Shefford and married Elias Pratt Savage (John Edward Savage's brother who married Birentha Hoskins)

Adaline Lewis and Elias Pratt Savage moved to Ohio about the same time as Peter Hoskins and his family, They later moved to Missouri.

Joab Hoskins must have died between 1818 and 1820 in Shefford twp, Shefford Co.

Do you have info on Joab & Lydia's grandchildren and great-grandchildren and so on.... I have some on the Lewis branch.

Regars,
Roch

Posted: 11 Sep 2012 8:11PM GMT
Surnames: Hoskins Haskins Family - Quebec - Michigan
I have info on the Theron Hoskins/Haskins line [Joab-John-Theron]including the two brothers that were lost in the Civil War
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions