Search for content in message boards

Finding Information on service during Korean War

Finding Information on service during Korean War

Posted: 27 Jun 2012 12:45AM GMT
Classification: Military
Surnames: Belden
I am trying to get my father's (Wayne Willaim BELDEN [1931-1993]) military record from NARA. I received a letter stating, due to the 1973 fire, they are going to need more information. The problem I have is the family has limited information (his parents and siblings are deceased) of his time in the military. I know he was a forward observer for a field artillery unit who trained out of Fort Sill, Oklahoma. And that he served during most of the time of the war.

I am at a loss. Can anyone suggest somewhere I might be able to go to get more information so that I can provide NARA with it?

Re: Finding Information on service during Korean War

Posted: 29 Jun 2012 12:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Get us his unit and time of service if you have documents with that info. I assume you have his DD-214, that will be key in basics.

If his records were among those damaged or lost there are unit diaries and other documents that can help. But, we need his unit.

Posted: 29 Jun 2012 4:00PM GMT
You can try the funeral home/cemetery that handled his arrangements to see if they have a copy of his discharge on file. Another avenue would be the local tax office or town clerk where he lived, many veterans files a copy of thier discharge for safekeeping and tax benefit purposes. He has a Veterans Affairs Death File, you can contact them to see if they have his information.

Here's his service number- 482465290

and his dates of service: 06 Nov 1952- 03 Nov 1954

Posted: 30 Jun 2012 12:44AM GMT
His dates of service: 06 Nov 1952- 03 Nov 1954

His DD-214 shows as his most significant duty assignment as Btry C 1 FA OBSR APO 358-1. I hope that will help.

Posted: 1 Jul 2012 1:32AM GMT
He may have been with the First Field Artillery Observation BN but it could have been his casual duty prior to discharge.

Use the DD-214 and fill out Form 180 to obtain his records. You may get some info, worth the shot in spite of the Fire of 1973.

Posted: 2 Jul 2012 6:23AM GMT
Thanks for the information. I do know he spent his time during the war as a forward observer.

Posted: 25 Aug 2012 1:30PM GMT
The fire destroyed warehouse after warehouse of files unless you were Naval its my understanding all files were lost.

Posted: 25 Aug 2012 4:22PM GMT
The fire was in one warehouse and quite a few records were destroyed. They can usually rebuild a basic file from records kept elsewhere, but it does take a while. The staff do manage to do a pretty good job.

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 2:13PM GMT
Thank you I did not know that.

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 9:36PM GMT
They had millions of records out on loan to the VA and other agencies at the time of the fire. Also they have several different types of records (payroll, unit and morning reports, military travel orders and transfers, etc) they can go through to reconstruct a service record.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic