Search for content in message boards

Central European Vs. Scandinavian?

Central European Vs. Scandinavian?

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 3:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
As with a lot of people I am confused by the DNA results.

It seems that a lot of people feel over represented by the Scandinavian group. Myself on the other hand feel grossly under represented by the Scandinavian group.

I show 0% Scandinavian and more than 60% Central European. I understand the Central European since I have a lot of confirmed German ancestors yet my maternal Grandmother is 100% Norwegian? Does anybody have any thoughts as to why I show no Scandinavian in my genetic results?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Central European Vs. Scandinavian?

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 4:42PM GMT
I'm in the same place as you on this. My paternal grandmother was born in Norway and all of her ancestors going back to beginning of 1700 were from rural parts of Norway.

My ethnicity shows 7% Scandinavian, so I registered more than you. But I still wonder why it is not higher.

I also have 59% Central European and 30% British Isles, so I figure that some of the Norwegians are of mixed ancestry with either the BI or the German. But it must have been a long time ago.

Barbara

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 7:15PM GMT
I think it is safe to count some of the BI as being wrong and more likely Scandinavian. I had one match whose surname list looked like a Norwegian telephone directory yet whose ethinicity was shown as 100%BI.

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 10:41PM GMT
Hello Barbara, Your ethnicity sounds very similar to mine. I have about the same mix of British Isles as yourself. I realize there was a lot of movement of peoples in early history, such as German tribes moving into Scandinavia and the British Isles as well as Scandinavians also moving both into Central Europe and the British Isles. I wish Ancestry gave a broader discussion as to what groups of people carried which DNA and not just simply a geographic location. I guess when you get back far enough the lines get pretty obscured. Thanks for the reply.

Robert

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 10:45PM GMT
Thank you, It is just a little confusion to now exactly what these identified ethnic groups really mean and which groups of people belong in each. Regardless I still know where a lot of my family came from in at least more recent history.

Robert

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 11:28PM GMT
Hi Robert,
For many of us with European ancestry, the ethnicity labels from Ancestry's autosomal test don't appear to be very accurate or helpful as far as our known ancestry in the past few hundred years. If you read through some of the other threads, you'll see that even some parents and children have very different ethnicity results! I have decided to ignore my own ethnicity categories.
The MATCHES are a different story. Those with public-and-populated trees can be very helpful and they are what is great about Ancestry's autosomal test!
Lou

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 1:00AM GMT
Thanks Lou,I agrree with you. The way the DNA results link you in with other member trees can be a really big benefit for research purposes. Perhaps in time the DNA results will be narrowed down in such a way that is more useful. Somehow I thought it would help in answering more questions on my ancestral hertitage but instead generated much more. Oh well it is still very fascinating. Thanks.

Robert
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions