Search for content in message boards

Question: I am not on my DNA match's list...

Question: I am not on my DNA match's list...

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 6:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
In my AncestryDNA results, I have 6 potential matches which "have a hint." In corresponding with one of my matches, I do NOT appear anywhere in HER list of potential matches (and she checked ALL 67 pages of her potential matches!) We have waited through several weeks of AncestryDNA updates and she remains in my list of potential matches but I have never showed up in hers. How should we interpret this? Does this make it more likely that this potential match is a "false positive?" Given that AncestryDNA says this is a low probability 5th-8th cousins match I'm inclined to think so. Has anyone else experienced this?

(If this has been discussed on the board previously, I would appreciate a pointer. I've looked but could not find where it had been mentioned previously.)

Re: Question: I am not on my DNA match's list...

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 7:35PM GMT
Does she have the "slider" set so that low and very low probability matches show?

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 7:39PM GMT
Edited: 2 Feb 2013 7:41PM GMT
Yes, she does, i.e. have the slider all the way to the right so very low probability matches show. She went through 67 pages of potential matches looking for my name and I'm not there. And I really ought to show up in her "Has a Hint" list as our trees have enough (I would think) individuals in common for the software to pick it up but I'm not there when filtered for Has a Hint either.

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 7:46PM GMT
Unless her tree is private, you should be able to see who the suggested common ancestor is, regardless of whether you show in her list of matches. I have several matches where a shared common ancestor is in the first 10 generations of each tree, but that doesn't display the "hint" until the match is opened, so the fact she doesn't have a "hint" displayed doesn't surprise me... but if she shows as a match for you, you should show as a match for her.

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 8:24PM GMT
This seems very strange to me and I have never known of it happening before. It's possible that the match is on her list and she missed it going through so many matches. We now have a way to locate a match without going through all of them: Open your match and send her a message from the link on that page. A hyperlink will be embedded at the end of the message and she should be able to click on it and see the match. Hope this works!

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 8:25PM GMT
Decided to give Ancestry Help Line a call on this one. They had several useful things to say that I thought I would share here: 1) They indicated that they are very behind in updating everyone's match reports. They have had significant response to the test offering so lots of results to post for everyone. Yay! 2) If after the reporting has caught up, I still do not appear in her DNA results then it does indeed raise the probability that the report of her on my list is a false positive.

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 8:41PM GMT
Thanks for this pointer, I'm definitely giving it a try.

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 8:53PM GMT
Great news about all the new matches coming! In a post in early January, smsitton predicted that the sale in December would result in a flood of them around Feb 2nd. :)

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 11:13PM GMT
Yes! And I am being flooded by new matches. But I was a little fearful that many would be no tree/tiny tree folks, just joining for the DNA test Actually, so far, there are a good number of robust trees in the 60-75 I seem to be getting each week now. Seems about the same ratios as before between private, tiny/no tree and robust size/documented trees. Looks like the new users are a mix of "just joined ancestry.com" and old-timers with big trees.

OP post re talking to ancestry.com folks about the catching up with the matches was very helpful...we can theorize about what is causing glitches in this barely a year old program, but it is helpful to get this information from conversations. Still lots of matches that should have green hint buttons and don't, but welcome the increase in users etc. Thanks for posting the information.

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 11:55PM GMT
Edited: 2 Feb 2013 11:55PM GMT
Yep. I have received about the same number of new matches as you have in the past week, smsitton, and I agree about the quality. :) From peggyannchowning's conversation with an Ancestry rep, it sounds as if the real deluge is yet to come!!!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions