Search for content in message boards

Johnston's of County Tyrone

Johnston's of County Tyrone

Posted: 13 Oct 2009 5:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Johnston, Hamilton
I am searching from information concerning Robert Johnston, b. abt 1799, and his wife Ann Marie Hamilton, b. abt 1800. They had six children: Thomas, Mary Ann (b. 27 OCT 1826 in County Tyrone), Eliza Jane (b. 1832), Hamilton (b. 1834), Catherine (b. 1842) and Jennie (b. 17 Sep 1847). All of the family except Thomas came to the United States beginning with Mary Ann in 1847 and ending with Hamilton in 1872. An obituary listed Thomas' last known location as Canada but I have no other positive data about him. There is a 1851 England census for a Thomas Johnston from Aughnacloy, Tyrone, Ireland but I have don't know if this is him.

If anybody can provide me with a direction to start looking I would appreciate it.

Re: Johnston's of County Tyrone

Posted: 14 Oct 2009 1:43PM GMT
Surnames: Rankin, Johnston, Faulkner, Little, Warnock
I don't know if it's the same Johnston family or not, but my G. G. Grandfather, William Rankin, married Elizabeth Johnston and lived in Maloon, Cookstown, County Tyrone. I am assuming that the Johnston family lived there in that area.

While I have been able to go back to the early 1800's with my Rankin family, I have not pursued the Johnston line at all.

I would welcome any connections between our families if you find any.

Thank you,

June

Posted: 16 Oct 2009 4:57AM GMT
I am also looking for Johnstons in Tyrone. My gg grandmother was Sarah Johnston who married William Kee. One of their daughters was Arabella Kee born 1843 Stewartstown Co Tyrone. Arabella 21 with her sister Sarah 17 arrived in Geelong Australia in 1864.

Sarah had a sister Arabella Johnston born in ?Glenough Tyrone (I cannot locate a Glenough. Clonoe is in the vicinity of Stewartstown) in 1834. Her father was a John Johnston.

I have not been able to find any record of a birth or christening of Sarah Johnston. IGI has a Sarah Johnston c 1823 Newtown Hamilton Armagh and a marriage in 1841 in the Diocese of Armagh Ulster Province to William Kee. IGI also has a death of Sarah Kee in the Registration District of Dungannon in 1907 age 89 born around 1818. My feeling is that they are not the same Sarah Johnston's but am not sure.

Griffiths has Johnston (and Johnsons) in Castle Farm Stewartstown. The Religious Census of Ireland for the Parish of Dungannon 1766 has a John Johnston (Protestant).

I have a copy of a photo of "Brackaville House" Co Tyrone 1902 of John and Hugh Johnston, brothers of Sarah Johnston. Griffiths has a John Kee at Brackaville. I have not been able to establish if they owned the property or maybe worked there.

Posted: 16 Jun 2011 2:53PM GMT
Hi

I am curious about your mention of a John Johnston in Brackaville. My grandmother, Violet Johnston, was born around that area to a John Johnston and Kate McAteer in 1913 and lived at Roughan, which is just up the road. I recognised the name Brackaville from the little information that we hold on her.

Have you made any progress with the Johnstons in that area since you posted this message?

Regards
Oona

Posted: 1 Aug 2011 1:21AM GMT
I am still trying to make the connection but feel very sure that I will. I am about to write to a lady who lives in Roughan Way who may be able to assist me with any knowledge of Brackaville Johnstons.

Since my original post I have established that my Johnstons were at Derrytresk from at least the 1850's to around 1911 so it is all within the general area.

Do you have any ancestral information on your John Johnston? It would be of great help if I could obtain anything you have.

Regards

Sue

Posted: 1 Aug 2011 9:53AM GMT
Hi Sue

I'm afraid I have never really been able to find much information about this side of my family, it has been a source of much frustration over the years! My grandmother was orphaned at a very young age and raised by her elder brother and sister. The story goes that her parents were catholic and protestant who married, she was brought up as a catholic. She always said her maiden name was Johnson, but on some records I have found since it was down as Johnston.

I have been to the record offices in Belfast and Dublin and found my grandmother's birth record and her mother's death record but not much else. I also found what looks like the family on the 1911 in Curraghanall, Deerpark, Co. Fermanagh. However, I know that they definitely lived in a house near Roughan as my mum visited it when she was a child!

Most of the living descendants from this branch of the family live in New Zealand. I am visiting them at Christmas, I will try to quiz them to see if I can extract any more information.

In the meantime, if you find anything, please let me know,

Regards,
Oona

Posted: 1 Aug 2011 10:49AM GMT
Hi Oona

Thank you for your reply. I have identified my Johnston's as being in the Dernagh/Derrytresk area from 1818/1819 with a baptism in Stewartstown 1st Presbyterian Church, then on subsequent documents ie Griffiths, Marriage Cert etc. I have not been able to locate any earlier details for John Johnston who married a Belle Rainey. This couple were the parents of the above baptism in 1818/1819.

I gather you may be from Northern Ireland. I am from Australia and will visiting Northern Ireland next year. Good luck with your search in New Zealand.

If you also find anything you think appropriate, please also let me know.

Regards

Sue

Posted: 6 Aug 2011 7:06AM GMT
Surnames: Johnston, Donnelly
I also have a Johnston lineage from Tyrone and am having trouble finding more information.

I am not sure if there is a connection. My g-g-grandfather Alexander Johnstons married Mary Anne Donnelly in Dungannon, Tyrone in 1862. His father's name was Archibald. Her parents were Neil Donnelly and Mary Rocks. Their only child Francis was born in Glasgow in 1863.

If any readers of this thread have come across any connections to these names, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 13 Jan 2012 7:02PM GMT
Hi. The Thomas Johnston in the 1851 census in my 3X Great grandfather. born abt 1825. Married Eliza. He had 4 siblings.... Anne, Margaret,Martha and Robert. All settled in the US except Thomas.

Hope this helps

Posted: 16 Jan 2012 2:22AM GMT
Do you know the names of the parents of your Thomas. Mine is Robert and Ann Marie (Hamilton) Johnston. My Thomas was living in Canada according to one of his sister's obit.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions