Search for content in message boards

Mawer/Moore family.

Mawer/Moore family.

Posted: 14 Jun 2003 4:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mawer/Moore/Mawyer/Mower/Moir
John Arnold Mawer wasborn in Wainfleet All Saints, Lincolnshire about 1803 to George Maewr and Maria Abraham. He was Babtised at Wainfleet All Saints on 16 Feb 1806. John was tried in Lincoln in the borough of Boston on 30 March 1818 and sentenced to transportation for 7 years for stealing 4 fish and 4 sandbugs valued at 10 pence. Now there is considerable family in New Zealand, Australia and USA.Does any one have any information on this family prior to his coming out to Australia? He must of had brothers and sisters, Aunts/Uncles and cousins etc.

Re: Mawer/Moore family.

john mawer (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2003 11:37AM GMT
hi margaret i have some information on maria abraham
baptised at friskey 11 oct 1786 daughter of john and
mary abraham .
friskey is next village to wainfleet,
also i have found descendants of james jessop moore and
isabella findlay the rellie in america you said
james family retained the name moore and are not
known as mawer james moved his family from moolands
to barrington back of ulverstone tas there his sons alex,
ted. and mac ran a sawmill,
also john braham mawer who went to new zealand
your john braham was his second name abraham and
a error i also found a audrey elliot in the family,
all the best john,

Posted: 28 Aug 2007 11:28AM GMT
I am researching our family history and have the complete Tassie side from John Arnold Mawer (or Moore) as he was known down under. John married Maria Jessop on the 18th Feb 1833 and had 12 children and the sixth child James Jessop Moore married Isabella Findlay at Port Sorell on the 25/7/1866 and went on to have 8 children one who was my grandfather Malcolm Samuel Moore. By the way, Maria Jessop (born 15/11/1818) was the illegitimate daughter of James Jessop (a convict) and Elizabeth Lee who did not marry until 20/1/1819. I would like to build up some more data on John Arnold and his parents as not much is known about him however down under he became a successful farmer/property owner and one time public house owner until it was closed due to lack of patronage and a visit by notorious bush rangers Rogers, Riley & Reynolds who tied up the house servants and stole two watches , liquor, food and blankets etc. Hope to hear from other researchers/distant relatives.

Posted: 2 May 2008 10:35PM GMT
Surnames: jessop,robinson,riley
Looking for information on Mary Ann Jessop who had a daughter Mary Ann Robinson to John Robinson who was a sailor.
Mary Ann Robinson was born Narrawong Vic abt 1840.
Do you know whether your Maria was known as Mary Ann as I have come across other researchers who have Ann Jessop born to James Jessop and Elizabeth Riley about the same time as your Maria

Posted: 4 May 2008 10:20AM GMT
Below is the history on the Jessop duaghters from my ancestors and I presume that Ann regretably is not the one you are looking for.
James Jessop married Elizabeth lee the daughter of John & Catherine (nee Riley) at Georgetown Tas on 20th January 1819. a daughter Maria was born 15th Novemaber 1818 and she married John Arnold Moore (Mawer) on the 18th February 1833.
Other daughters of James and Elizabeth were Elizabeth born 1819 in Launceston (married 1848 in Hobart to Thomas Dazelay); Ann born 1821 (married ???to George Buckingham; Sophia born 1823 in Launceston (married 1840 in Launceston to John Brain).

Posted: 8 May 2008 6:07AM GMT
Ann born 1821 married Thomas Jackson (convict)
Reply is interested in her branch of James Jessop and Elizabeth Lee

Posted: 8 May 2008 6:08AM GMT
Ann born 1821 married Thomas Jackson (convict)
Reply if interested in her branch of James Jessop and Elizabeth Lee

Posted: 8 May 2008 12:19PM GMT
Sandra,
I am presuming from your posting that the record that I have been given of Ann marrying one George Buckingham (with no date recorded)is perhaps incorrect.I am interested if you have other information on this.
Thanks,
Ted
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions