Search for content in message boards

Somerton of Portugal Cove

Somerton of Portugal Cove

Posted: 26 Jan 2002 10:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Feb 2002 6:31AM GMT
Surnames: Somerton/Summerton
I'm not actually researching the Somerton family but in case anyone is interested and is missing a line. My step father is descended from the Somerton's of Portugal Cove. His grandfather (I think) left Portugal Cove in the late 1800's and resettled in Montreal Quebec. In Montreal the surname got changed to Summerton where there are still some of the family living. My step grandfather's name was Nelson Summerton and I believe his father was either Nelson or Edward(not sure). If anyone is interested I can look into this.

Terry Piercey
tpiercey@rogers.com

Re: Somerton of Portugal Cove

Joanne (View posts)
Posted: 24 Mar 2002 11:18PM GMT
Hello,
I'm not looking for Somerton's but looking for Parsons of Montreal.Can you find out for me anything on them that you can.My grandfather was Ralph and his father was William.Ralph was born in Montreal.Let me know asap.Thank you in advance.

Joanne

Joanne (View posts)
Posted: 24 Mar 2002 11:20PM GMT
Surnames: Parsons
Hello,
I'm not looking for Somerton's but looking for Parsons of Montreal.Can you find out for me anything on them that you can.My grandfather was Ralph and his father was William.Ralph was born in Montreal.Let me know asap.Thank you in advance.

Joanne

Joanne (View posts)
Posted: 24 Mar 2002 11:25PM GMT
Surnames: Barnes/Mansfield
Hello,
I'm looking for information on the Barnes Family from Topsail.If anyone has anything please let me know.I'm also looking for informtion on George Charles Mansfield from New Melbourne.I thank you in advance.

Joanne (View posts)
Posted: 24 Mar 2002 11:28PM GMT
Surnames: Barnes/Mansfield
Hello,
I'm looking for information on the Barnes Family from Topsail.If anyone has anything please let me know.I'm also looking for informtion on George Charles Mansfield from New Melbourne.I thank you in advance.

joanne.rogers@shaw.ca

Parsons Of Montreal

Posted: 25 Mar 2002 2:48AM GMT
Edited: 2 Jun 2002 4:23AM GMT
Joanne,

I am a Parsons from Montreal. I have a cousin Ralph who was born in Montreal but moved away either to New Brunswick or Nova Scotia when I was still a teenager. I believe he had two daughters. But his father was Harold Andrew Russell Parsons. The name he went by was Russell. Ralph's Mother's name was Iris and I think her maiden name was Cartwright. My father's name is William Henry Garnett Parsons. He goes by the name Garnett. THey were all born in Montreal.

Ralph has one brother. His name is George. Our Grandparents were Tobias Parsons, born on the Gooseberry Islands, Bonavista Bay, Newfoundland and Isabella Fowler, born in England. Tobias' parents were Henry Parsons and Charlotte Wells , Gooseberry Islands.

Maureen Stapleton (nee Parsons)
Wellandport, Ontario

Posted: 26 Mar 2002 12:07AM GMT
Edited: 28 May 2002 3:05PM GMT
hi there, my name is joyce king. i was a somerton i have brother name clarence. i had a uncle nat, my dad name was jake somerton, but i did know him until i was 21 years old.i know that the somertons are related to us but i just don`t know them . some are from Bell Island. I wonder if you would know of any them. I want to thank you .from joyce.

Posted: 10 Aug 2002 10:12PM GMT
Hi. My mother is also from Portugal Cove. Her Brother Hubert Loveridge married a Florrie(Florence) Somerton from Portugal Cove. Mom's sister, Mary Elizabeth (Betty) married a Fred Somerton, from Portugal Cove. Fred and Florie are brother and sister. Florrie is still living, but Fred passed away about a year or so ago. Don't know to much more re Somerton's. I am searching the LOVERIDGE name from Portugal Cove or Pouch Cove NF. Just a little insight on The Somerton's of Portugal Cove for you.

Posted: 12 Jun 2004 6:20PM GMT
I'm interested if you get this message. One of my relatives married a Summerton and I want to figure out which one! I found a probate for a gg grand uncle who listed a Jeanette Hallett, Phippsburg, Maine as his neice. I found that she was a Summerton by birth and figure her mother was either a Sabine or possibly Mary Ann Perry, sister or half sister to this uncle. From the 1880 census:
1880 Sagadahoc, Phippsburg, Maine

McKay Thomas 51 Ire, Ire, Ire
Mary A. 52 PEI, PEI, PEI
Annie 26 ME, Ire, Ire
John W. 20 ME, Ire, Ire
Katherine 10/12 ME, IRe, Ire
George T. Summerton 12 ME, St. Johns, England

1880 Bath Ward 9 Maine

Sommerton Thomas 36 Nova Scotia, NS, NS
Charles T. 12 ME, NS, NS
Jennie 5 ME, NS, NS

Phippsburg is in Bath so I suspect a relationship, possibly twins. Thomas' wife had died by then.

Posted: 1 Aug 2005 8:41AM GMT
Going way back, I have Elizabeth Somerton who married John Squires in 1801. I have no proof, but believe that she was the daughter or grand-daughter of the Thomas Somerton who founded the Portugal Cove settlement. In my family, the name came down to us as "Summington", and I understand that another line of this family moved to Montreal as "Summerton". I would be interested in putting together a descendant tree for Thomas Somerton. I have this on him:

Portugal Cove Parish History (Ed. Ruth Bugden, Helena Churchill, Heather Greeley & Karen Meulenkamp, 1990, Jesperson Press Ltd.,): "Thomas Somers or Somerton, aged 85 was interred by Rev. Oswald Howell on August 6, 1837. Thomas was an Englishman, a zealous churchman, a lay reader licensed by the Bishop of Nova Scotia and the ancestor of all the Portugal Cove, Newfoundland, Somertons. The 1794-5 census is claimed to list only T. Somerton with 3 sons and 3 daughters. Total population of the Cove was 200, 165 Protestants and 35 Roman Catholics."
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions