Search for content in message boards

Help -- marriage bond 1837

Help -- marriage bond 1837

Jim Dillard (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 2006 2:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Fowlkes, Armes, Williams, Knight, Watson, Fore, Harper, Verser, Flippen
I have recently found that my great great grandfather is Austin S. Fowlkes. I have recenved information that he was married in Prince Edward County to Martha Ann Armes in 1837 (exact date not given).
I find no listing of that marriage in publications however I feel confident it is correct.
Can anyone give me some direction to help locate that marriage bond. I hope it will have information about Austin's parents.
There are many Austin Fowlkes so this is important and will make that last connection I have been looking for. Any help or direction is certainly appreciated.

Re: Help -- marriage bond 1837

Susan Armes (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2006 2:09AM GMT
I would also be interested in this marriage record. My ancestor James Armes married Martha Hines in Prince Edward Co, and your Martha may be his sister.

Jim Dillard (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2006 11:09AM GMT
Hi Susan, -looks like I must make a trip to the courthouse there as soon as possible. I will keep you in mind when I am there and forward what I find to you also. I REALLY want to unravel this delima of too many Austin Fowlkes. I am only beginning with the Armes because of that.

Posted: 10 Feb 2006 4:50AM GMT
Edited: 17 Aug 2006 3:24AM GMT
There is an Auston S. Fowlkes listed in the 1840 census for Nottoway County pg268 with no township listed.
This is from the Virginia 1840 Census Index by Jackson and Teeples published by AIS Inc.

Posted: 20 May 2008 6:24PM GMT
Surnames: Fowlkes, Harper, Jennings, Bruce, Penick, Pulliam Holiday, Milward, Mallory, Forrest, Billups, Long, Cheesman, English, Verser, Draper, Armes
There are a number of Austin Fowlkes. I recently located the marriage bond for this one so thought I would eleminate this one for others.

Austin S.(Sterling) Fowlkes b. aft. 1810 in Nottoway County; a son of John Sterling Fowlkes and Elizabeth Jennings married 11-20-1837 in Prince Edward County, VA to Martha Ann Frances Armes b. abt. 1816 in Prince Edward County and died after 1880 at Manchester, Richmond, VA at the home of her son Patrick Henry Fowlkes and Mary Elizabeth Harper Fowlkes. She is a daughter of William Armes and Mary W. Forrest.
They may have had only one son: Patrick Henry Fowlkes.

I have considerable documentation on this family if this is of interest to anyone doing research.

Posted: 20 May 2008 7:57PM GMT
I am interrested in the Armes you have plus the Forrest connection. Particularly Richard Arms of Pr Ed Co who bought land near Rice in 1819. And the Forrest connection to Fosters. Plus the Penick and Billup connection to these surnames. Pat

Posted: 21 May 2008 12:48AM GMT
Surnames: Jennings, Fowlkes, Jeffress, Hines of Nottoway County, VA
I have a JOHN HALL FOWLKES M. 1797 ELIZABETH DICKER(N)SON JENNINGS from Nottoway County. They have to be among the same family lines. Do you have ANYTHING on her parents? I have a copy of the family bible that gives some info on the FOWLKES AND JENNINGS. Strangely enough,"a" Patty Hines worked for Wm. H. Jeffress of Nottoway, and it is the old Jeffress bible that all the information is in. Somehow they will fit together. I have a copy of the FOWLKES books in the event that you don't and would like for me to look something up for you.

Sallie Hurt

Posted: 21 May 2008 12:49AM GMT
Surnames: Jennings, Fowlkes, Jeffress, Hines of Nottoway County, VA
I have a JOHN HALL FOWLKES M. 1797 ELIZABETH DICKER(N)SON JENNINGS from Nottoway County. They have to be among the same family lines. Do you have ANYTHING on her parents? I have a copy of the family bible that gives some info on the FOWLKES AND JENNINGS. Strangely enough,"a" Patty Hines worked for Wm. H. Jeffress of Nottoway, and it is the old Jeffress bible that all the information is in. Somehow they will fit together. I have a copy of the FOWLKES books in the event that you don't and would like for me to look something up for you.

Sallie Hurt

Posted: 21 May 2008 3:06PM GMT
Do you show any McGehee or Baldwin, Smith, Pillow names in those records?

Posted: 22 May 2008 1:14AM GMT
Sorry, I don't have a single name that you need.

Sallie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions