Search for content in message boards

Family Tree - HA!

Family Tree - HA!

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 3:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
We got a new tree match for a 4th to 6th cousin; of course I opened it to look. To my annoyance, every single person on that "public" tree (45 individuals) was marked as Private with the exception of 5 people at the very top of the tree, about 7 generations past, and they had only last names and no dates or locations! WHY would someone post a tree like that? How does he expect anyone to find a link to his family? Or is this just a new wrinkle in the "Oh, my family is so special that I keep it private so I can just look at your data" crowd?
Come to think of it, why would I even want to claim this stingy person as my cousin?

Re: Family Tree - HA!

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 4:10AM GMT
That would imply the people are living, or assumed to be living.

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 11:23AM GMT
I have 3 matches like that with public trees that range over 10000 people big. I sent a meaasge to the first 2 I found just in case it was some sort of Ancestry bug that caused it but I got no response from either person.

I tossed the trees into the trash with the knowledge that the majority of the uber trees that I've checked out were 3/4 BS with their direct links to Adam & Eve or every Royal ever born or some equally unlikely "ancestor".

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 6:42PM GMT
The people in the tree wouldn't be still alive unless the family has discovered the secret of immortality, since the listings went back five or six generations. I suspect the owner may have realized that most of us don't even open private trees, and he thought this would be a clever way to get us to look at the very few names he did list.

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 7:52PM GMT
Or, maybe they just uploaded a screwed up GEDCOM.

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 10:06PM GMT
You are much kinder than me! Yes, it may be that he just didn't enter his tree correctly, or some other explanation. I guess I'm venting my frustration at the DNA matches that lead nowhere but still have to be opened and checked; wish there was just a quick way to delete them from the list.

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 11:44PM GMT
When ancestry switched over to the current private setting many trees contained settings that were shown incorrectly. I have screenshots from that time period and from later dates of examples. I continue to see similiar situations in trees. There are threads on this. The owner may not be aware of the situation so you may want to try contacting them. In some cases the tree owners are no longer active and they may not ever fix the problem, although that shouldn't be the case if they have recently done the DNA testing. I saw this happen in my own tree and made screenshots of it. It particularly happens when a source is used to add someone to a tree and that source has a broad range of dates. Previous threads on this also mentioned that the deceased button did not always work on the first attempt and had to be double checked.

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 2:56AM GMT
While there is a good chance it is another "Mommy never taught me to share" person who posted a stripped down family tree, it is also possible that the person only had dates of birth and no dates of death so the person shows up as living. Did you try looking at the "View full tree" option? I have done that and seen most of those "living" folks as well as the rest of the tree. It is a pain to look through but at least you can look and see if there potential links.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions