Search for content in message boards

Tom HAWKS, b. 1858 TN

Tom HAWKS, b. 1858 TN

Posted: 17 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Jan 2002 8:19PM GMT
Surnames: Hawks, Still, HAWKES
I am seeking information on my great grandfather Tom Hawks who was born in 1858 in Tenn. His father was W. H. Hawkes (notice different spellings from family bible.) He married Amanda Still. Her father was G. W. Still. Any information on the Still's or Hawks' I would appreciate.

Elizabeth (STILL) LARGANT

Peg (View posts)
Posted: 23 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: STILL, LARGANT, MINTER, WATSON, LYDA, BRYANT, MORGAN

Margee,

I also have a STILL connection, through Elizabeth STILL who married James LARGANT in Rutherford Co, NC in the early 1800's. Their daughter/granddaughter, my great-great-grandmother, Sarah Elizabeth LARGIN married Samuel Allison WATSON and they removed to Weakley Co, TN after the Civil War. (We've found Sarah Elizabeth and her sister listed in James LARGENT's household in 1850, but still haven't determined whether they were his children, or belonged to one of the 11 children listed in James' will in 1858.)

Anyway, our Elizabeth STILL is supposed to be the daughter of Bozias STILL and Mary LYDA, who had about 13 other children. One of those was Andrew STILL, b. 1803, who married Sally BRYANT. The only child listed for these two in information I received from another researcher is George Washington STILL who married Jane Elizabeth MORGAN. Is there any chance this might be your G.W. STILL?

I have a lot more info on this line, if you think it might be a connection for you. I'd also reccomend you check out the link below. It will take you to a site called "Still Searching." The URL is: http://www.isd.net/dcurtis1/
It's just loaded with info on STILLs from all over.

Interestingly enough, I also have a step-connection with a MINTER family who were in Jefferson Co, KY before moving to Madison Co, IL. I assume MINTER is your married name... but wonder if you know anything about your MINTERs...?

Hoping to hear from you soon,

Peg

Still family

Posted: 24 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Still
Dear Peg,

I definitely think the G. W. Still you mentioned is my great, great grandfather. He was born in 1821 in Tenn. and died in 1903. He was married to a Jane ?. She was born in 1828 in Tenn. I would really appreciate any information you can give me. Do your records show there was any Indian in their family. My dad always said someone in his family was Indian.

The Minter's came from mainly Boone Co., Ky. I have information going back to a John Emerson Minter born in 1850 who married Elizabeth Hampton. If you would like more information just let me know.

Looking forward to hearing from you! Margee

G.W. STILL, b. 1821 TN

Posted: 24 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Still, MINTER, HAMPTON
Dear Peg,

I definitely think this George Washington Still is my great, great grandfather. According to my family record he was born in 1821 in Tenn. and died in 1903. He was married to a Jane, born in 1828 and died in 1898. Would appreciate any information you can give me.

As for the Minter's they came mainly from Boone Co., Ky. We have traced back to a John Emerson Minter who married Elizabeth Hampton. He was born Oct. 13, 1850. I can trace down to the present if any of this information would fit. I really appreciate the Weakley Co. Web queries for linking us up. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Margee

HAWKES Family of Ralston, TN

Posted: 6 Jul 2001 9:24PM GMT
Surnames: HAWKES
hello, i'm Larry Sigmon and i knew of some Hawkes that lived down the road from my grandparent's in Rolston,Tenn. Rolston is just outside of Martin,Tenn. they lived on Rolston RD. if i can help you any further please let me know. lrrsigm@aol.com

Re: HAWKES Family of Ralston, TN

Posted: 21 Jan 2002 3:37PM GMT
Edited: 29 Feb 2004 7:35PM GMT
Surnames: Hawks, Hawkes
Hi Larry,
Sorry I have been so long getting back to your message. Do you know the first names of the Hawks that lived near your grandparents? The names Bible Hill and Parsons, Tn. were the names of places that my dad talked about most. I'm sure other family members were scattered. Would be interested in hearing more from you. Thanks, Margee

Randall HAWKS

robert hawks (View posts)
Posted: 27 May 2005 6:19PM GMT
Surnames: HAWKS
my great great great grandfather was randall hawks, weakley co tn. have loads of information on this hawks clan originally fron va and nc. my address is 307 colt ln franklin tn 37069, my phone is 615-582-1637.

Wm. HAWKS, b. c1808

Loretta Insco (View posts)
Posted: 28 May 2005 4:19AM GMT
Surnames: HAWKS
I am descended from William H. Hawks born about 1808-1810. He had a brother and a son named Randall, the brother born about 1807 and the son about 1840. I would love to have more information on this family. William H. and wife, Susan, apparently had nine children according to the census records for 1850 through 1870. The first five children were born in NC. They appear to have migrated to Weakley County between 1841 and 1844. Can you share any details from NC? Do you know who William H. Hawks' parents were or Susan's maiden name?

Thanks,
Loretta Insco

Re: Wm. HAWKS

robert hawks (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2005 11:11PM GMT
Surnames: HAWKS, PORCH, WESTBROOKS, OGBURN
hi loretta, so good to hear from you! unfortunately i have little info on who william hawks parents were. as you probably know william had two brothers, randall hawks and george washington hawks. as i stated randall and lucinda lourana hawks are my great great great grandparents. robert h. and virginia porch hawks are my great great grandparents, randall was born in mecklenburg co. virginia on may 10, 1807 died may 10,1852 in weakley co. tenn. lourana was born april 15, 1806 died may 8, 1881. they were married on dec. 24, 1827 in caswell co., n.c. i think that randall, g.w., and williams parents were joseph hawks and phoebe westbrooks. they were married on may 13, 1799 in mecklenburg co. va. surety was thomas westbrooks and the minister was charles ogburn. there is no definitive proof that they are the parents but the time frame fits. i know that there was westbrooks family members in weakley co. tn in mid 1800s. we have a cousin in tomball, tx. (near houston), rick hawks who has also done extensive research through the mormon church, but even their best efforts have not been able to find out for sure who the parents in question were. we may never know but i have a strong feeling that there is someone in va. n.c. area who can solve this puzzle. i recently found out about some hawks who live in that area that may shed some light on this but havent had time to contact them. there is a kazillion hawks in the area of mecklenburg co. va. and caswell and person co.s, nc. also quite a few in the fancy gap, va. area. there was a hawks family reunion there in early 90's. rick hawks attended but i was not into research of family then and did not know about it. we have another cousin in northern ca. who is a descendant of randall but his big question is the same concerning parents in question. i have lots of info weaklwy co. hawks and weakley co. in general, having been born in dyer co. in 1953 and spent much time as a child on hawks family original homestead in wesleys chapel area (near palmersville) in weakley co. the land at that time belonged to my grandparents, casey and queenie hawks. do you have any info on where william h, randall, or g.w. hawks are buried? there are many hawks buried in wesleys chapel cemetary, but not them. i know there is a hawks cemetary nesr palmersville but as yet have not been to it. rick hawks email is rhawks@hawkslawfirm.com. he would love to hear from you. my email at home is taulbeev@bellsouth.net, phone no. 615-582-1637, 307 colt ln., franklin, tn. 37069. again it is great to hear from you! please fell free to contact me at any time. your cuz, robert hawks

Re: Tom HAWKS, b. 1858 TN

Posted: 23 Jul 2010 9:41PM GMT
Surnames: Hawkes
Hi Margee,

I am descended from William H. Hawkes of Henderson, Tennessee - the same family.

Have much information on the family and would like to share with you.

Please email me at: CathyFamilyRoots@aol.com.

Cathy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic