Search for content in message boards

Rodgers and Hill

Rodgers and Hill

Posted: 27 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Dec 2002 3:50AM GMT
Surnames: Rodgers, Rogers, Hill
Halifax Co., Benjamin Kerr Rogers (abt 1772-1810)married Nancy Hill, daugther of James and Sarah Hill. Son Nathaniel Kerr Rodgers in VA Militia in War of 1812 (mentioned as substitute in Rickman Pension Application quoted under Halifax 1812 Military page). Rodgers/Rogers family may have lived in Clover Depot area. Benjamin moved to Maury Co., TN, Cooper Co. and Texas Co. MO. Died about 1850.
Searching for Rodgers and Hill ancestors.

Rodgers,Axten

Daniel Raiche (View posts)
Posted: 17 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Rodgers, titmass, axten, cookson, haynes, gwin
I am looking for any information on Clara May Axten married to Harry Rodgers in shepshead ,L,England.
Any information would be helpful. Thanks you
Daniel Raiche

Re: Rodgers and Hill

Posted: 5 Jul 2008 9:00PM GMT
Surnames: Rodgers
I am looking for sibling of Nathaniel as well. Did Benjamin have another son named Robert Wooding Rodgers?

Thanks!

Posted: 6 Jul 2008 3:10AM GMT
Surnames: Rodgers, Montgomery, Champ
I have in my files only one Robert Wooding Rodgers, b abt 1830, d 1884, son of Nathaniel Kerr Rodgers and Elizabeth Champ, married to Frances Montgomery.

(The "Yard Sale Papers" mentioned in the notes below refer to a genealogical file, said to have been among a number of items stolen, which appeared years later in a yard sale and were sent to me. I sent them on to a closer descendant.)

From my notes:

"According to the Yard Sale papers, "Nathaniel Rodgers and Elizabeth Champ of Houston, Texas Co., MO, had a son Robert Wooding Rodgers". According to daughter Frances Genevieve Rodgers's application for membership in the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Robert Wooding Rodgers entered the service of the (Confederate) State of Missouri, June 1861, and was commissioned as a Colonel.

In his obituary, he left a wife and ten children. We have so far only Frances Genevieve Rodgers as a child of this person, but the 1922 Texarkana (TX/AR)Chamber of Commerce Membership Roster includes an R.W. Rodgers, a Miss Frances G. Rodgers (lady above cited, I would imagine) and an A.N. Rodgers."

The R.W. Rodgers listed in the Texarkana roster could be a Jr., or a more distant descendant.

Regards,

Robert Jadwin Ballantyne

Posted: 6 Jul 2008 4:24PM GMT
Thank you so much for the quick response. My confusion (and hope actually) is that there is something to the date "1798" listed below as a birth for another Robert Wooding Rodgers. I found the reference in Ancestry somewhere and tried to email the author(s) but all email bounced. You will see what I mean:

Sources:

1. Title: The Nathaniel Kerr Rodgers "Yard Sale Papers"
Author: Frances Genevieve Rodgers
Note: In 1999, Dianne Nalesnik (dnalesnick@erols.com) obtained some old papers relating to Nathaniel Kerr Rodgers and wife Elizabeth Champ, resident of Texas Co., MO. at a yard sale. They had been prepared many years ago by a descendant, Frances Genevieve Rodgers, in support of her applications to hereditary societies, the Daughters of the War of 1812 and the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The first application was based on Nathaniel's service and the second on that of his son, Robert Wooding Rodgers, b. 1798. It is very clear that this is the family of Elizabeth Rodgers, mother of Sarah Henry Rodgers, b. 1839, Cooper Co., MO. I obtained the information in the papers from the present holder, Clarke Rodgers, hcrjr@erols.com, May 10, 1999.
Repository:
Media: Electronic
2. Title: IGI AFN:1CBT-47W
3. Title: IGI AFN:1CB7-3Z9
4. Title: WFT CD#229, Marriage Index, KY, NC,TN,VA,WV, 1728-1850
Page: Section V, Ch. 47
Text: Benjamin Rogers-Nancy Hill July 6, 1789

Posted: 7 Jul 2008 4:11AM GMT
Surnames: Rodgers, Hill, Champ, Jadwin
I can tell from the rather incredible story about the yard sale papers that the 1999 post you included in your message has to have been from me. At the time, I was in India and the all-volunteer RootsWeb and the private enterprise Ancestry have since merged, sort of.

My old tags with these outfits, along with Genealogy.com and Family Tree Maker, today confuse me beyond belief. I have corrected some of them but it is a task that requires going back into old passwords I have not fixed all of the broken links.

Anyhow, here I am, now back in Virginia and surprised to still be alive.

I was incorrect in the date of birth of Robert Wooding Rodgers, (really I have it as 1830) getting it mixed up with Nathaniel Kerr Rodgers' who was born, per my files, in 1797.

In those yard sale papers, Frances Rodgers was making application for Daughters of the War of 1812 based on Nathaniel Rodgers' service and in the United Daughters of the Confederacy, based on Robert Wooding Rodgers' service. Seen in that light, the years of birth fall into line.

My ancestor, Sarah Henry Rodgers, b. 1839, was a sister to Robert Wooding Rogers.

I do not have any info re an earlier Robert Wooding Rodgers but there was a Robert Wooding who figured in the earlier history of the Rodgers-Hill families. All I have on that is a fragment:

"...entry of 1761 in Halifax Co., VA Court Orders, 1755-1758, appointing Robert Wooding guardian of orphans of James Hill. Data from Marilyn Lowe, Sept. 2, 1999."

Best regards,

Bob Ballantyne aka JadwinB

Posted: 22 May 2012 9:28PM GMT
Edited: 23 May 2012 4:23AM GMT
Surnames: Rodgers, Copp
I'm researching the following:

Andre Copp and Debora Rodgers were the parents of Mary Copp born in Halifax around 1796-1798 or so.

Would appreciate any information whatsoever.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic