Search for content in message boards

AncestryDNA results question

AncestryDNA results question

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 2:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
I just got my results and can see a map, a pie chart and lists of names and public trees with maybe similar... well, similar what? Similar DNA? SImilar original locations?

Anyway, all the pins in the map are there because I previously added a location to an ancestor. For example, there's a pin in Poland for a 2nd great grandfather. But I added that BEFORE I took the DNA test. What on that map, or in any result, is DNA rather than location-matching from my pre-DNA tree?

Re: AncestryDNA results question

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 2:37PM GMT
It is ALL location-matching from your pre-DNA tree.

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 2:55PM GMT
So whats DNA about the DNA page then?

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 3:10PM GMT
Edited: 4 Feb 2013 3:11PM GMT
Your matches. They share some DNA with you and probably share one or more ancestors with you. The list of shared surnames are just names that appear in both of your trees. They may or may not serve as hints to the line or lines from which the shared DNA comes.

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 3:16PM GMT
OK, thanks. I thought that there's be a map or a page with DNA "areas" by themselves (like on that TV show sometimes mentioned around here). I didn't know it only related to other Ancestry profiles...

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 3:25PM GMT
The pie chart does indicate the ethnicity categories into which Ancestry has classified you and these are also based on DNA, but a completely different kind of analysis from that used for the matching. The ethnicity categories have not been useful to me in trying to determine possible ancestors that my matches and I share.

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 8:20PM GMT
These are the steps I take. Others may have better suggestions:

First, I look at each public tree. I click on each of the common names. If the person or people are from the same general area and the same time frame, I look closer. (For example, a lot of my ancestors immigrated to New England in the 1600s to 1700s. I don't pay attention to the same surnames who are from Virginia. Those are probably not my family.) If they are from the same town or village, but I don't see exact matches, I look at both our charts to see if they go back to a common ancestor a few generations back. I also look at our chart's list of siblings on the chance one of us just didn't find the parents.

Then I glance through all the surnames in case there is a slightly different spelling to look at. I certainly don't remember every name on my chart, but I do remember most back 5 or 6 generations.

If I see the surname of one of my many "brick wall" grandparents, I copy all the names on their chart (mostly still in the same region) and paste it into a text file. I watch that list and when I start seeing a patters - the same surname family repeating over and over - I focus on that family to find their lost son or daughter. That's where a paper trail comes in. DNA shows me a MRCA (most recent common ancestor) but it is up to me to connect that person to my ancestor through the descendents.

I don't pay attention to the Ethnicity Report because it represents ancient migration and is not often relevant to recent genealogy.

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 7:42PM GMT
Keeping the names aside in a text file sounds like a good idea.

Also: I just added "Hungary" as a birth country to a couple profiles in my tree. They do not show up as Pins in the map... is that map set on the date it was made (never updates)?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions