Search for content in message boards

My G-Grandmother--Elizabeth "Bettie" Lewis Jordan Lady

My G-Grandmother--Elizabeth "Bettie" Lewis Jordan Lady

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 11:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lewis Jordan Lady
Hello,

I am doing family history research. I have heard a pretty gruesome tale in family discussions of my great grandmother Elizabeth "Betty" Lewis Jordan Lady (1890-1938) having been killed by her second husband, Charles Fain Lady (1892-1938) with a [hammer, frying pan, sledge hammer, or hatchet]. He then killed himself with a gun. This apparently took place in May of 1938, in San Bernadino or Redlands, California. The couple had two young daughters at the time, Carolyn and Marguerite, ages about 10 and 8.

My father says that he and his mother had visited his grandmother and her husband about 3 months before this happened and my father tells me that they lived in a "one-room shack." He says that his mother was so frightened by her mother's husband, and his very violent temper, that they cut their visit short and left the very next morning.

Crazy, huh?

I would love to put some real documentation to this story. Would there be anyone who might help me search for some documentation of this incident? Possibly newspaper articles or obituaries? I am trying to find where my great grandmother might be buried, and the details, from the newspaper's standpoint of this story. I imagine that burial would have taken place in a cemetery "for the poor." I doubt there was much money available for burial expenses.

Thank you so much for any help you might give me. Valerie

Re: My G-Grandmother--Elizabeth "Bettie" Lewis Jordan Lady

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 9:55PM GMT
I found an article about the murder in the Riverside Daily Press. It was a crowbar. BTW, she had left him and filed for divorce.

I'd be happy to send you a pdf of the article. Send me a message with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

Marta

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 10:10PM GMT
Thank you, Marta!! I would love for you to send it to me.

My email is

a_branch_of_four_roses@yahoo.com

Thank you so much!! I have just recently seen the article but for some reason, it was sent to me in a format that I cannot upload to ancestry. Valerie

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 4:08PM GMT
Hi There
My grandmother Polly Jane was Elizabeth Lewis Lady's sister.
I just found this post and was very excited. I have done research for 20 years now on my family, and alway wondered what happen to Elizabeths daughters.
Would love to hear from you and trade stories.
My email is hayesh38@comcast.net.
Helen Hayes
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions