Search for content in message boards

Jeremiah Thrift in Gloucester, VA

Jeremiah Thrift

Posted: 1 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 10:35AM GMT
Surnames: Burton, Brooking, Sears, Booker
This is something I have speculated on for quite a while! I cannot tell you much about the Thrift line, but Jeremiah Thrift's daughter, Lettie, who married Jeremiah, Jr., married 2nd Matthew Hibble prior to 1850. I just thought this after seeing the marriage record for Wm. J. J. Thrift who listed his mother as Lettie Thrift and then after Matthew Hibble's death in 1854, she appeared living with Wm. Thrift as Lettie Hibble on the 1860 census. I thought that that they were the same person, but had no proof. Matthew and Lettie Hibble had about 6 children. Their son, Michael married my grgrandmother, Rosa Booker, Dec. 23, 1856. Thanks for the post!!!

Melanie Stevens Mattson (View posts)
Surnames: Thrift, Purcell
According to a genealogy source: Margaret Purcell married Jeremiah Thrift and lived in Gloucester, VA. Their daughter, Lettie, also married Jeremiah Thrift. Their son was William J.J. Thrift.
Can anyone explain this family line?
Sincerely,
Melanie

Surnames: Thrift, Purcell
According to a genealogy source: Margaret Purcell married Jeremiah Thrift. Their daughter, Lettie, also married Jeremiah Thrift. Their son was William J.J. Thrift.
Can anyone explain this family line?

Sincerely,
Melanie

Thrift and Purcell families in Gloucester,VA

Posted: 2 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Purcell, Thrift, Flemmming, Braithwaite, Minty, Redman, Dutton
Thanks to Sylvia Rowe and info from Anne Ritchie's book on the Purcell family, we have some real data on the Thrift family in Gloucester County, Virginia!

David Purcell (b. @ 1660 in the British Isles) came to the colony @ 1680, married (1681 Old Rappahannock Co., Va) Belinda Braithwaite, dau. of John and Frances Sherlock Braithwaite (pronounced "Brevit")

Their son, John Purcell, (b. 1-29-1684; d. 1-13-1752Richmond Co.) married Sarah (unknown).

Their son, John Purcell, (b. 1-22-1723Richmond Co.; Will proved 12-1-1800 Richmond Co.)married (< 4-27-1745)Margaret Minty (b. 6-22-1728,dau. of Edward and Margaret Flemming Minty.

Their son,Edward Minty Purcell,(b. < 1-30-1755;d. <1783) married Letty Redman, daughter of Joseph Redman).

Their daughter, Margaret M. Purcell, married Jeremiah Thrift. (Yes, we have documentation!) Their daughter, *Lettie R. Thrift, married Jeremiah Thrift. This couple were the parents of William J.J. Thrift.
(*This is the "Lettie" that married 2nd Mathew Hibble)
Don't you just love it when this data comes together!
I will send you hard copies of Wills, etc..

Melanie

Jeremiah Thrift

Posted: 2 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Burton, Brooking, Booker, Sears
I seemed to have confused myself with my earlier post along with every one else who read it, but I was not trying to imply that Lettie Thrift may have possibly married her brother if the two Jeremiah's were father and son. Wm J. Thrift appears to have been married twice. The first record lists his parents as Jeremiah and Mary A. Thrift. The second record lists him as son of Jeremiah and Letty Thrift. Are there any records to show that Lettie is the daughter of Jeremiah & Mary A. Purcell Thrift? Lettie could be a second wife. You did not give any dates on Jeremiah and Mary A. so I am only going on assumption. Also, if this is the same Letty that later married Matthew Hibble, on the 1850 census there is a Mary A. Purcell, age 12, living with them. According to the book, "Marriages of Gloucester Co.", a Mary Ann Purcell, age 15, married Robert H. Dutton, Oct. 4, 1854. She was the daughter of Joseph and Eliza Thrift Purcell.

Lettie Hibble

Deborah Hibble Blake (View posts)
Posted: 8 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Hibble, Thrift
Do you have any information on the parents of Mathew Hibble?
Thank you

Mathew Hibble

Deborah Hibble Blake (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Hibble, Thrift
I do not know the birthdate for Mathew Hibble, born in Gloucester County. I have seen a Mathew Hibble listed in the War of 1812 muster rolls index, but haven't checked it out, yet. It doesn't seem plausible that he would die in 1853 at age 47 and also serve in the War of 1812.
Posted: 9 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Burton, Booker, Brooking, Dutton, Nuttall, Sears
Deborah: Would you have a birth date for Matthew Hibble? He is listed as 47 at time of death in 1854, but on the 1850 census he is listed as 48. Also curious as to how the Matthew French Hibble, b. 1790, ties into this line. This Matthew was the son of John and Mary French Hibble, m. 1789 according to the Christ Church (Middlesex Co.) Register.
Matthew and Letty Hibble's son, Michael Cary, married my grgrandmother, Rosa Booker in 1856.

Matthew Hibble

Posted: 16 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Burton, Booker, Brooking, Dutton, Sears
Cy: I copied the deaths for my family lines starting in 1853 that are in the State Library. Matt. Hibble is the only one I have for 1854, then I pick up again in 1855 & so on. I will have to check the records again to see if I copied the wrong year. Thanks for questioning this so I can double check the date.

Matthew Hibble

Posted: 16 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jul 2001 6:03PM GMT
Surnames: Hibble
It is highly probable that the Matthew Hibble who died in 1854 is the same Matthew shown on the 1850 Census, the War of 1812 soldier, and the son of the 1789 Middlesex marriage. Census ages were often approximations given by the woman of the house, who seldom knew her husband's age. Most of Gloucester's War of 1812 soldiers were called out "when British ships were seen on the Bay." They served for a few days at a time, and many of them were 14 to 17 years old, including my ancestor James T. Fleming. I am curious as to the source of Matthew's death information, since Gloucester official death records do not exist for 1854.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions