Search for content in message boards

Looking for John Alfred Fullington Mural Artist

Looking for John Alfred Fullington Mural Artist

Posted: 18 Nov 2010 4:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Fullerton, John A
I am looking for the family information on John Alfred Fullington who was a mural artist that painted on the walls of churches in many states in the US between 1940 and 1960. He was married to a Mary J. as listed in the 1910 census in Goliad, Texas; However he was born in Joplin, Missouri. His father was John William Fullerton and mother was Martha Elizabeth Cagle, all from Pineville, Missouri. Not sure what happened to Mary J. but he then married Sarah Gladys Turnham in June 28, 1946. They divorced and then remarried Lenna Lila Climefelter I believe around 1951. He died in 1963 in Vero Beach, Florida and his obituary states he had two daughters from Franklin, PA. I am trying to locate more details and his daughters, I don't have their names. Some of paintings included the Akron Baptist Temple and the Canton Baptist Temple. Magazine articles were published about the Akron Temple in Life and Colliers. Anyone knowing anything about this man or if you have a church that has one of these paintings signed "Fullerton", please let me now.

Re: Looking for John Alfred Fullington Mural Artist

Posted: 5 Sep 2011 3:50AM GMT
Surnames: samosl
I know of John Fullerton. I purchased one of Lila's Fullerton's paintings from the estate of Rev & Mrs Arthur M. Estes of Jacksonville, Florida. In the 60's Mr. Fullerton came to Jacksonville after falling on hard times.
He knew my pastor, Rev Estes from Bible school as I remember the story. He painted a beautiful mural in our baptistry in order to pay for his room and board while staying in one of the churhes unoccupied houses. I remember he stored all of his painting supplies in the back of his station wagon. He also gave one of Lila's paintings to Mrs. Estes as a thank you. That is the one I purchased. It was not long after he left Jacksonville he was hit by a car crossing the street in Vero Beach, FL. The mural he painted is in the old Auditoriu of Victory Baptist Church. It has a wall built in front of it now, but the last time I checked it was still there and in good shape. Victory Baptist Church is on Lem Turner Road, Jacksonville, FL. Do you know how many murals Mr. Fullerton painted in churches?
I hope this little information helps.

Re: Looking for John Alfred Fullington Mural Artist

Posted: 5 Sep 2011 1:11PM GMT
Dear jmobeeman, Thank you so much for responding to my inquiry. Yes I just keep putting the pieces of his life together just like a puzzle. He was in our area in 1949 painting murals in alot of our local churches. According to a newspaper article that was shared in an interview with Lila, he did about 600 paintings all over the US. I've confirmed paintings in Pa, Ohio, Michigan, Alabama and now Florida. I did find his obituary of his death in Vero Beach. He was born in Missouri, married and moved to Texas. Then left that wife and his adopted son and is next found in Alabama where he married again. They divorced and he came to PA and met Lila in Franklin, PA. He led quite an interesting life, living on the road, singing and painting as he went. I have been told his paintings were his testimony and his way of trying to make up for his early years of bad living. Would you be able to send me a picture of your painting? Also, does anyone have a picture of the painting he did in the churches in Florida? If you could email those pictures, I would greatly appreciate it. After I've exhausted all my resources, I hope to put all this information together with as many pictures as I can find, in a book to preserve his art. As the churches age and are closed, destroyed or remodeled, his work is being lost. Again, thank you for responding. My email address is llbarna@windstream.net. If you could, please email the picture to that address. Thank you again.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions