Search for content in message boards

Looking for the parents or Florence(Flower) Chaney

Looking for the parents or Florence(Flower) Chaney

Posted: 29 Aug 2012 9:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Sep 2012 6:49PM GMT
Surnames: Chaney, Henderson, Lemons
My great great grandmother's name is Florence/Flower Chaney or Henderson and she was born in 1858 probably in Louisiana. I am not sure what her maiden name really is. On her marriage record with her and her husband Wesley Lemons her maiden name was Chaney

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQP7-PZX

but on the 1880 census Racahel Henderson who I believe is her sister was on the record. Henderson may be her married name but who knows right now. At the time Florence was living in Dewitt, Arkansas county, Arkansas and Florence was also listed as mulatto on the census as well as all of her kids (one child of hers wasn't listed and her name was Malissa).

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&a...

Florence remarried twice, one of her husbands names were Ephraim Johns and another was Henry Cartwright. I would love to find more records on her and perhaps a death certificate and I would love to find out who her parents are. I am wondering if she has any American Indian ancestry and or Louisiana Creole ancestry. Thank you for your time.

Re: Looking for the parents or Florence(Flower) Chaney

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 12:36AM GMT
Have you tried to follow Raichel back? My thoughts are that Raichel could be a half sister to Flower, hence the change of surnames also Raichel is listed as black instead of mulatto. Or she could be married. Sometimes following siblings can lead us to our answers, it just takes a longer route. Also interesting to me is the spelling of Raichel, is this how she spelled her name or is the census takers spelling of the name, might be a clue on how to track her.

Rene'
board administrator

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 3:01PM GMT
Ya she could of been married or a half sibling but I cannot find any records on her. I also find her name being spelled Raichel pretty interesting, I have feeling that it was just a spelling error. My biggest problem is that I cannot find people in the census. I can find Florence 1900, 1910, and 1920 but I cannot find her before 1880 and before and those records should hold vital info. I cannot find any records of her husband Wesley besides the 1880 census and I cannot find much records on some of her children. I cannot find any records of "Raichel" either. I feel like I've been searching for a long time and either I am looking in the wrong places or they just weren't there.

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 8:06PM GMT
Census search is hard and tiresome especially for common names. Have you used different census indexes? The reason I ask is because sometimes people only use one source such as ancestry, and it could be something as simple as a spelling to keep you off track, but the spelling might be different on another index such as Heritage Quest. Sometimes going through all parishes line by line may help. Do you know where she is buried?

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 8:54PM GMT
I barely use Heritage Quest but I will start to use that more and I sometimes use FamilySearch.org and I will start to use it more. And no, I don't know where she died or her husband or any of her children. Yes I have a feeling that spelling may be an issue.

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 1:22PM GMT
In the 1870 East Feliciana, LA There is listed a Florence Chaney age 10:

Household 95
Nancy Chaney 34
Emily Chaney 15
Maggie Chaney 12
Florence Chaney 10
Sallie Chaney 8
Benadab Chaney 9/12

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 3:25PM GMT
I've seen that before and I saw that somebody else was saved to that tree. Unfortunately she isn't mine. It seems like my family is a mystery.

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 7:55PM GMT
Just an fyi, just because someone else has something saved to their tree does not mean that their research is right. Always, double check and triple check sources. They've got to be somewhere. Problem is that she was born shortly before Civil War, so the possibility of being a slave is high. But, many slave records are better than records for others.

Go back to where you last left off, I think you said this was a 2 great grandmother? If so go back to great grandmother or if only 1 great go back to grandmother, look for her and siblings in all census indexes. Many times family stuck together or followed each other. Look at all indexes not just census, such as burials in all parishes and in any other state. Tedious I know, but you might just find them that way.

Rene'

Posted: 5 Sep 2012 6:20PM GMT
Have you written for copies of the actual marriage certificates? An index won't generally list parents, but the marriage certificate often does.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions