Search for content in message boards

GEORGE GIFFORD born 1843.

GEORGE GIFFORD born 1843.

Posted: 4 May 2007 4:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GIFFORD
I am looking for a lookup of the 1851 census for a John Gifford and his wife Jemima Prior Gifford. They were married in 1842 and their first child was George born in 1843. I have the film number for George as H0107/1758 folio 435a. I think George had a brother who was Richard who was a year younger than himself. Any information on this George Gifford would be greatly appreciated. I have been searching for this person for at least 5 years now and I have been unable to find any information to link him to who he listed as his parents on the 1870 marriage record here in the USA.

Re: GEORGE GIFFORD born 1843.

Posted: 4 May 2007 7:15AM GMT
There's no George Gifford listed under that reference - the Gifford family on HO107/1764 folio 435A is:
High St, Hardwick, Cambs
John Gifford head marr 35 farmer & publican 27 acres b Comberton Cambs
Jemima Gifford wife 35 b Swavesey Cambs
Richard John Gifford son 8 b Hardwick
Jane Jemima Gifford dau 4 b Hardwick
Caroline Elizabeth Gifford dau 2 b Hardwick
Ann Moule servant 16 General servant b Hardwick

Whilst Hardwick parish register has been extracted onto the IGI their only child who appears as a baptism is Marianne on 1 Jan 1854. They did however register the births of their children as checking http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl I can see the births of Richard in the Sept 1843 quarter in Caxton registration district, which includes Hardwick, then Jane Jemima in Sept 1846, and Caroline in Dec 1848

There's really no time for George to have been born to these parents in 1843 with Richard having been born somewhere between July and September in the same year, and his absence from the census makes me doubt if you have the right family.

FreeBMD shows a George Gifford born in the March quarter 1841 at St Ives and another in 1843, also in the September quarter, in Ely.

The only one I can see in 1851 is George age 7, son of John and Elizabeth living in Littleport Cambs, which is in Ely registration district, so seems to be the 1843 birth.

What evidence do you have that this John and Jemima had a son George in 1843?

Regards

David

Posted: 16 Jun 2007 3:36AM GMT
Surnames: Gifford
David, I have a copy of George's marriage record and he names John and Jemima Gifford as his parents. Actually I am thinking that George is really Richard and changed his christian name after immigrating to NY.

Posted: 16 Jun 2007 6:09AM GMT
I think it will be difficult to prove that Richard John in 1851 and 1861 in Cambridgeshire is the same person as George who married in the USA.

Have you traced him in any US census? Have you found details of when he emigrated and under what name? If you can show that he emigrated as Richard and then appears subsequently as George then it would add weight to your theory.

Regards

David

Posted: 17 Jun 2007 2:18PM GMT
David, please e-mail me privately at witty4802@aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions