Search for content in message boards

DNA Results: Comparing my matches with my mother's

DNA Results: Comparing my matches with my mother's

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 9:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am administering my mother's DNA results in addition to my own. My mother has 100% French ancestry (on paper). There have been several matches showing on both of our lists, where there are no French names in their ancestry.

Now I have a match that is not showing up on her list. Up until now, I would have put that name on my father's side, which is 50% English colonial and 50% Irish. However this match has six names in common with my mother's paper tree and one almost certain match in the 18th century.

I understand the NPE factor. Am I wrong in thinking that 100% of my matches from her DNA should also show up on her list? She would obviously have at least 50% more that don't show up on mine, and that is the case.

Thank you,
Kathy Cronin

Re: DNA Results: Comparing my matches with my mother's

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 10:03PM GMT
I came here with a similar scenario...
I'm administering my father's DNA

But what I want to know is... Does ancestry.com have a way to search and exclude from one DNA result to another?

For example My father and I share the Same DNA, my father & mother do not. I'm not able to obtain a DNA sample from my mother.

I would like to exclude my fathers results from mine. This would then point me to be able to concentrate on my mothers side of my tree. And also be able to point my research to my fathers side for match's in common.

Thanks,
John

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 5:36PM GMT
The not-in-common cousin may show up later on your mother's match list. Ancestry has had a slew of new people being tested with all the holiday giving so the results are probably in the pipeline.

It is my understanding that with autosomal testing, the only way to sort out the father and mother portion is by testing one or both and comparing the raw data.

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 6:40PM GMT
Unless I'm wrong my assumption was that I would eliminate match's that are in common with myself and my father. This would then point to my mothers side correct?

How can be gain access to the raw data?

John

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 6:49PM GMT
At this time, we have no search capabilities of any kind and do not have access to our raw data.

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 9:48PM GMT
There is no easy way to compare matches.

I created a database using Bento (cost $50!) and manually copied and pasted all matches (99% to Low) for myself and my Mom. I also enter all new matches including very low ones. This has been a great help. I can now search my database before analyzing a match. If it also matches Mom, I know to look on her side. If not, it's my dad's side. In a few instances, we both match but my match is stronger. This tells me it's a match for both sides.

You could do the same thing in another database like Access or in Excel. With Excel, I'm always fearful that I'll accidentally disassociate data by not highlighting all columns.

I can't wait until ancestry has improved search capabilities. In the meantime, my makeshift database has been a godsend.

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 10:09PM GMT
I am impressed, joyecho. Wow! How many matches do you have and how long did this take? I have tried similar things but could never keep up with new matches, so I gave up.

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 10:54PM GMT
When I started I had 425 matches for myself (Low to 99%) and 605 for Mom (also Low to 99%). It took me less than a day to cut and paste them all. Of course I had many duplicates so the actual number of initial entries was less than the sum of both our matches.

Whenever I get new matches, it takes me anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour to enter them depending on how many new matches show up. (I do enter all new matches including the very low ones.) I now have 2091 entries in my database based on my initial entries and ones entered since I created the database. If you keep up with entering, it isn't too difficult a task. (I'm also entering matches for my Dad's sister.)

My email is joyecho@aol.com. If you want to email me, I can show you a screenshot of my very basic database.

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 12:54AM GMT
I just sent you an email, joyecho. Thanks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions