Search for content in message boards

William BOYD died 1916 Somme

William BOYD died 1916 Somme

Margaret McEwen Bendickson (View posts)
Posted: 20 Nov 2004 10:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BOYD, WATTERS, MCKAVANAGH, FRANCY
William Boyd, brother to my grandmother, Sarah BOYD MCEWEN (b. 1882), was married and had two sons and one daughter, Margaret, when he was killed in WW1.
His parents were William James BOYD and Margaret Ann WATTERS, grandparents William BOYD and Agnes MCKAVANA/MCKAVANAGH - all of Belfast.
William's OTHER siblings were Emma FRANCY, John BOYD, Agnes.
There is an entry for the death of a William BOYD on the Commonwealth War Commission website which lists him as the son of William Boyd, husband of M.A. BULL (formerly BOYD) of 41 James St. Belfast. This William was born in Belfast and was a member of the 15th Battalion of the Royal Irish Rifles - service no. 12215.
I am wondering if these are the same person.
Thank you for your time,
Margaret Bendickson

Re: William BOYD died 1916 Somme

Posted: 29 Nov 2004 3:52AM GMT
Edited: 1 Oct 2006 11:11PM GMT
Margaret,
I looked William Boyd up, and the War Graves Commission gave his age as 28. No 12215, died 02-09-1916
He had a grave ref.

There was another Wm James Boyd R.I.R., 15th Batt. No 12214, died 1-7-1916. He is on Theipval Memorial.
I suppose this is the same person.

You could try ordering a birth certificate for William Boyd,
father William, born circa 1888, but I suppose the surname and given names are fairly common.

If you are near a Mormon Family Hiistory Centre, you could look up the Irish birth indexes, and if there are more than one possible births, you can order photocopies from Dublin, this would be cheaper than paying for searches and official copies.

I think if you order an official copy, the fee covers a three year search in Dublin, or each Belfast GRO search covers five years.

Dublin Photocopies are 1euro 90, if you have the volume and page number, and a lot less than an official certificate.

Belfast does not do photocopies, and certificates are now £10 each, including search.

All the details are on the following Web Sites.
www.groireland.ie (Dublin)
www.groni.gov.uk (Belfast)

Dublin takes credit card orders on line. You can download application forms from both sites I think.
Margaret

Posted: 29 Nov 2004 3:54AM GMT
Edited: 1 Oct 2006 11:11PM GMT
Sorry Margaret I must be getting careless in my old age. Both dates should be July.
Margaret

Margaret McEwen Bendickson (View posts)
Posted: 13 Dec 2004 1:52AM GMT
Surnames: Boyd Bull
Thanks for your reply. I have gone through the Indexes at the FHC but since the years involved have not been microfilmed I had not thought to order any certificates. The name is very common but you are right regarding the low cost so it might just be would be worth a try.

I still hope that one of William's descendants can be found and will contact me.
Thanks again for your advice.
Margaret

wendy thompson (View posts)
Posted: 1 May 2006 5:52AM GMT
Hi there....

I noticed your post re: Boyd...I have an Annie Agnes Boyd who married into our Close family 25 Dec 1895 at Belmont Presbyterian church. Unfortunately I do not have her father's name as of yet ...as I have not ordered the marriage entry. However, find it interesting that she named one of her daughters, "Agnes Haggan Close"...none of these names are familiar with our family line...does this ring any bells for you?

All the Best
Wendy

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 11:47AM GMT
This is my great grandfather and we are researching his life and death. My mother was born in Belfast but we all live in Manchester uk. Reply if you want more information.

Posted: 4 Oct 2014 10:09PM GMT
Surnames: BOYD,WATTERS, LENNOX, BROWN, McEWEN
Late reply. My uncle Jim McEWEN let me know (circa 1980) that his mother, Sarah BOYD, had a brother William who was killed in WW 1. He said that he had at least 3 children, one of them being Margaret.
I believe that this William was born 9 March 1887 to Wm. James Boyd and Margaret WATTERS. Margaret Ann Boyd died 13 Feb. 1890 at age 31. In 1901 Wm. James lives with his 14 year old William and 12 year old Emma.
I believe Wm. James remarried 26 Dec. 1902 and that his bride was Caroline LENNOX who had a son Robert. William and Caroline had a son Hugh born about 1904.
I have a marriage for young William (12215 15th Battalion RIR) to Mary BROWN 07/10 1906. I also have a birth for Maggie Boyd born to them 04/08 1907. William's father, Wm. James is a ship carpenter. (My great grandfather.) Hope to hear from you. margb@connect.ab.ca
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic