Search for content in message boards

Chief White Cloud

Chief White Cloud

Posted: 27 Dec 2011 8:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WhiteCloud, Pauff, Poff
Looking for information on Chief White Cloud.
Known facts: He had a daughter named Firestar who was disowned when she married a white man named Henry Pauff (or Poff)

Re: Chief White Cloud

Posted: 28 Dec 2011 9:32AM GMT
kenna_marie

The Cherokee have never had a chief by the name of White Cloud, but the name does appear in other Tribes/Nations.
If you have any additional information on Henry Pauff (Poff), such as where he lived, and when that might help narrow things down.
What was the name of his wife ?

Kathy Roberts
VA

Posted: 28 Dec 2011 12:58PM GMT
Kathy,
Thank You for your reply. Henry Pauff(Poff) was born about 1830. The only name we have for his wife is Firestar. They had a daughter Rebekah (or Rebecca) Ellen Pauff born: 28 AUG 1858 in Blue Springs, Gage, Nebraska and died 25 AUG 1901 in Alex, Grady, Oklahoma.
I have been suspecting lately that Chief White Cloud might have been an Objibwe chief, from MN.
Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Kenna Clayton

Posted: 28 Dec 2011 12:59PM GMT
Kathy,
Thank You for your reply. Henry Pauff(Poff) was born about 1830. The only name we have for his wife is Firestar. They had a daughter Rebekah (or Rebecca) Ellen Pauff born: 28 AUG 1858 in Blue Springs, Gage, Nebraska and died 25 AUG 1901 in Alex, Grady, Oklahoma.
I have been suspecting lately that Chief White Cloud might have been an Objibwe chief, from MN.
Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Kenna Clayton

Posted: 29 Dec 2011 12:16PM GMT
Kenna

Wabanquot (translated to White Cloud) was an Ojibwe chief. He was born about 1830 in Minnesota, and pretty much spent his entire life there. Given his date of birth, I think it unlikely he was the grand father of Rebecca POFF. In 1900, she gives her date of birth as August 1858.

However, I did find some additional information on the POFF and allied families, who resided in Montgomery County VA prior to migrating to Cooke County TX.
If you're interested, I can post it to the relevant surname board.

Kathy Roberts
VA

Posted: 29 Dec 2011 1:16PM GMT
Surnames: Poff
Thanks Kathy for your reply. I believe I have the information on the Poff family.
It may seem unlikely, but I am fairly certain it is true. Just have to find the missing link between MN and OK.

Posted: 30 Dec 2011 12:48PM GMT
Kenna

Wabanquot/Chief White Cloud - Ojibwe
He was born about 1830 in MN and died there in 1898.
His life is well documented.
Was it possible for someone born in 1830 to have a grand daughter born in 1858 ?
Perhaps you can provide some documentation on this.

Kathy Roberts
VA

Posted: 30 Dec 2011 1:08PM GMT
Surnames: White Cloud
Thanks Kathy. Research is being done to see if it is possible that Chief White Cloud was from the Ioway tribe.

Posted: 30 Dec 2011 10:14PM GMT
Kenna

Well, I guess you're just gonna run down every guy named "Chief White Cloud"............till you run out of options.

If, at any time, you would like accurate, documented, factual information on your ancestors, then let me know.
In the meantime, I won't waste my time.

Kathy Roberts
VA

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 3:33PM GMT
It was supernatural how I received your inquiry. I mentioned something loving about my great great grandfather, Chief White Cloud and how he was a man of God (Yahuah). Then at the next instant my husband Jose said to look at your query. We are not affiliated with ancestry.com, but joined (free for now)to answer your question. Chief White Cloud did not register with the government. and that is why he is not on the books. He did not register because he did not trust the government. Secondly, his daughter's name was Feather, not Firestar. She married a Poff, I believe. She had a daughter Osie Oma Luckett, who was raised on an indian reservation. I am confused as to how Feather married Poff, but her daughter's maiden name is Luckett--I am missing something. In our family tree, we do have White Cloud, daughter Feather and somehow Poff is in our family tree. Write me at simpatia2recycle@gmail.com and I will tell you more.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic