Search for content in message boards

William Holmes/Homes, Chilmark

William Holmes

June Malonson (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Holmes
I also have an ancestor named William Holmes. The family goes by the name of Blount. He was supposed to be on the Guerriere during the War of 1812 and jumped ship somewhere between Boston and Nantucket.
It is said he was hidden in a wood pile by the people of Nantucket when the British came looking for him. He married Eliza. Hammond in 1814 in Pawtucket, RI.

He took his mother's maiden name of Blount and henceforth was called Willian Holmes Blount. It is believed his mother was Ann Blount of England. He was baptized in Sepul Church, London. @ 1790. I have a researcher in England looking for information on the crew of the Guerriere as we write.

Eliza and William are buried in Bourne, MA

I am very interested in any information you have. Even if you do not believe my William and yours to be the same. I am not sure this story is true and I would like to compare stories.

June Malonson
Zypher3954@aol.com

William Holmes/Homes, Chilmark

Linde Lunney (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
I'm researching the career of rev. William Holmes or Homes, who was minister in Chilmark, Martha's Vineyard, Dukes county, Massachusetts until his death in 1746. I'm writing a short biography of him for the forthcoming Dictionary of Irish Biography. Does anyone know anything about his family background in Ireland? I know he was born in Donaghmore, co.Donegal, but I need parents' names.

Rev and William Holmes.

Ed Cooper (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Holmes or Homes
Linde and June,

Though not related, I am interested in the Holmes family/ies because several of Rev. Holmes' children married into clans of mine. I did not respond earlier as I needed to tie together more of my Holmes and Homes entries.

Linde,

I presume you are speaking of The Rev. William Homes/Holmes who left behind an awesome journal regarding his parishioners. Correct? If so, I have some information beyond Banks' which I'd be glad to send you directly. That and some pet theories of my own regarding "Robert" of Donachmore, Ireland, his supposed father. There is one particularilly poignant entry in his diary where he describes the death of his grandson which all by itself makes the Reverand worthy of study

June,

Your William interests me too. I have a William Holmes m. Elizabeth (?) who may fit the bill and if so, I'd like to add your information. This couple is mentioned in Mayflower Increasings, but I have been unable to add anything beyond Roser's comments (Increasings 80). Their son Josiah married Hannah Samson 20 Mar 1665/6 at Duxbury. Might this be the William you speak of?

I also have four other William Holmes who have no further information beyond their names.

The Holmes/Homes families generally descend from a Hume/s (pronounced Home/s) who was the chief architect of William the Conqueror's successful invasion of England culminating in the Battle of Hastings and the Magna Carta. He must have been quite a talker as there is a record of someone else saying "he talked all the way [from Scotland] to London." I have a good deal of information on this family as an American descendant married my father's sister and I inherited property through her.

The progenitor was made the Lord High Chancellor of Scotland under William and the family has been actively involved in politics since that time, there was a Prime Minister by that name in the 1950s/1960s, and the philosopher, David Hume, is also from this family. One of his descendants originated the idea of organizing the underground railroad for escaped slaves during our Civil War and wrote a book--The Abolutionists about the struggle. I have an ancient cardboard-backed picture of Hume Castle at Berwickshire, Scotland.

Contact me directly if you're interested in this information and please let me know if you are referring to the William who married Katherine Craighead.

Holmes in Chilmark

Linde Lunney (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Hello; I don't think the William Holmes I am interested in is likely to be the same as your ancestor; there is a big difference in the dates; my man died in the 1740s in Martha's Vineyard, Ma; he had sons, but I don't know what happened to his family after the next generation. Thank you for responding anyhow; perhaps you shouldn't disbelieve your tradtional tale; it sounds quite plausible to me!

Rev. Wm. Homes

charles (View posts)
Posted: 3 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: HOMES, CRAIGHEAD
do you have any information on John, son of Rev. William HOMES. I wonder if he ever married or had any children.

thanks, Charles

John Homes, son William

Ed Cooper (View posts)
Posted: 4 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Homes, Craighead
Apparently Rev. William Homes' son John did not marry. He died at age 32 and Dr. Banks shows no wife or family. It appears that Robert was the only son with descendants; however four of the six daughters had children.
(1) 1 John HOMES, #3457

Birth: bef 30 Jul 1700, Straban, Tyrone, Ireland (bapt)
Death: 14 Oct 1732, Chilmark, Dukes, MA, age: 32
Father: Rev. William HOMES/HOLMES, #319 (1663-1746)
Mother: Katherine CRAIGHEAD, #320 (~1678-?)

Research: 1 (3:211) #14
1. ref 17 Banks, Charles Edward (M.D.). History of Martha's Vineyard, Dukes County, Massachusetts. Edgartown, MA: Dukes Hist.Soc., 1966. (3 vols).
Posted: 24 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2001 6:05PM GMT
Surnames: HOMES
Ed:
To your knowledge,did Rev. William HOMES' nieces and nephews through his brother John ever migrate to the U.S.?

thanks, Charles

Mary (Franklin) HOMES

Posted: 19 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2001 6:05PM GMT
Surnames: HOMES, FRANKLIN, AYLESWORTH
Mary (Franklin) HOMES, sister to Benjamin FRANKLIN and widow of Capt. Robert HOMES of Chilmark, reportedly died at Chilmark, ca 1730. She was married also to Arthur AYLESWORTH of Bristol. Mary was a daughter-in-law of Rev. William HOMES of Chilmark.

Is Mary buried at Chilmark and did she possibly leave a will?

thanks, Charles

Nancy Ellen Craig the artist

Steve Craig (View posts)
Posted: 22 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Craig
Looking for information on Nancy Ellen Craig of Cape Cod. Reportedly an artist.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions