Search for content in message boards

Is Faust a Jewish name?

Is Faust a Jewish name?

Posted: 23 Jul 2007 6:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Faust
Hello
How do I prove that a name/ancestory is of the Jewish roots? It doesn't matter to me in which it turns.
My mother-in-law says she is but has no proof.
I would like to put this claim to rest. She assumes cause it sounds Jewish it is. I don't know exactly where the Faust orginated from but they were in Berks, Dauphin & Northumberland counties in Pa in the 1700's till now. Most of all the Faust were buried in Methodist and Lutheran cemetaries.
I thought that most Jewish people that came to America came for the freedom to practice their religion? Were their alot of converts to Christianity?
My mother-in-law was raised in a Christian faith with no Jewish roots to be told of.
Where do I search to prove this claim?
Kim

Re: Is Faust a Jewish name?

Posted: 24 Jul 2007 8:40PM GMT
to me faust is not a jewish name at all. dr faust or faustus who sold his soul to the devil?famous story.
so if that is the only reasn she thinks she is jewish forget it. any specal traditional rituals she remembers or stories ? any other names?traditionalists go by the matrilinear line for jewish descent.
she could al;ways have a malae relative test their dna for a more definitive answer (37 + markers for high resolution results) hope this answers it

Posted: 24 Jul 2007 9:23PM GMT
That the family was in PA that far back indicates it is not a Jewish name. It was probably German / Dutch, which often sound similar to later period Jewish names.

This is also indicated by being Lutheren, that being the main Protestant religion in the northern section of the Germanies of the time.

While there have alwasy been a small number of conversions, that doesn't prove anything for a specific family.

DNA testing, as mentioned by the other poster, is probably the easiest.

Otherwise, I suspect you'd have to find an adult baptism record prior to marriage into the family line. That will be tough I'd think.

A slim option would be habits and rituals that are done, often with no idea why, but are of Jewish origin and not Christian. For example, lighting two candles every Friday night. Or never eating milk and meat, two sets of dishes, or never eating pork.

Posted: 8 Sep 2011 1:18AM GMT
Surnames: FAUST
My mother's maiden name is FAUST and we are Jewish. Her father was Jewish. Faust (as another poster mentioned) is German or Austrian in origin, and is both a Jewish and Non-Jewish name.

Posted: 21 Sep 2011 1:11PM GMT
The Nazi period has made us forget that there was a prior time when Jews were well integrated in Germany. There was also a significant amount of marriage between the faiths. Not to beat their drum in any way, this caused the Nazis a great deal of trouble in deciding who was Jewish. Names "got around".

Posted: 8 Oct 2011 9:23AM GMT
My ancestors are also from a FAUST family and I was always told that they were from Jewish descend coming from Germany.I have family pictures and old paintings, no doubt they were Jews.
Birgit

Posted: 1 Aug 2013 11:42PM GMT
My husband is a Faust, and none of his family is Jewish. They all came from Koenigsburg, Germany. Their religion was Lutheran. My good friend is also married to a Faust (not from my husbands line) and he & his family are not Jewish either.

Posted: 1 Oct 2013 11:03PM GMT
"Faust" is actually the German word for "fist", as in "Panzerfaust" or "tank fist" (bazooka).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic