Search for content in message boards

Looking for George Porter, Early 1800s, Lansingburgh, NY

Looking for George Porter, Early 1800s, Lansingburgh, NY

Posted: 8 Jul 2012 3:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Porter, Smith and Mc Mullen
I am writing in hopes you can help me find some information about my third great grandparents, George and Anna Porter.

I used old family records, information received from Ancestry.com, Oakwood Cemetery and the Troy Public Library's research team to bring me to this point. Here is what I know:

George B. Porter
- born - 31 Jan 1800 (location unknown) (according to family handwritten records)
- marriage to Anna Annie Smith before 1835 (according to the NY Town Clerk's Register for Men Who Served in the Civil War 1861-1865)
- death - 8 Sep 1837 Pittstown, Rensselaer, NY (according to the Troy Budget Newspaper) - died of consumption (TB)

Anna Anne Smith
- born - 1799 New York/Vermont (according to Censuses)
- marriage to George B Porter before 1835 (according to the NY Town Clerk's Register for Men Who Served in the Civil War 1861-1865)
- residence - 1850 Lansingburgh, NY and 1860 Rensselaer County, NY (Censuses)
- residence - 520 Congress Street. Lansingburgh, Rensselaer, NY (U.S. City Directories)
- residence - Troy, NY (U.S. City Directories)
- death - date and place unknown

George and Anna had six children:

George - 1825 - ? (alive in 1864)
Susannah - 1828 - 1853
Joseph S - 1832 - 1860
Ann - 1834 - ? (alive in 1850) - don't know if she ever married
Ishmael G - 1836-1880 - fought in the Civil War
Ellen - 1838 - ? (alive in 1860) - don't know if she ever married

All six children lived in Lansingburgh their entire lives as I know it. Ishmael is the only child who married (Anna Mc Mullen) and spent his entire life in Lansingburgh as well.

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. Also, please let me know of any other resources I could try to grow this branch of my family tree.

Re: Looking for George Porter, Early 1800s, Lansingburgh, NY

Posted: 13 Jul 2012 4:01PM GMT
Don't know if this is the same family or not, but My grgrandfather Albert Porter had a brother George and they lived in Troy, NY where all the children were born. They then moved to Rochester then to Winona, MN. I don't have any info on George after the 79-80 City Directory of Winona where it lists George L Porter living at 146 Johnson where his father Edward also lived. If this is the same family you are seeking please contact me. pjsjmj@gmail.com

Posted: 24 Jul 2012 12:03AM GMT
Surnames: Porter
Thanks for the possible connection with your George Porter. My George stayed in the Lansingburgh, NY area and died in 1837 so it isn't the same family. But appreciate you letting me know there initially was another George Porter in the Troy, NY area. Best of luck to you in your family research!

Posted: 21 Jun 2013 10:32PM GMT
Surnames: Smith Porter
I have been trying to find the parents of my great great grandparents, Ishmael G Smith and Fanny Porter, for over 10 years, and I think there may be a connection to your great great grand parents.

Ishmael was born ca 1806 in New York, Fanny 1808 also in New York. They married at the Methodist Church of Lansingburgh, NY in 1829.

In the 1880 census, Ishmael reported that his parents were born in Vermont.

In 1829 Ishmael bought a town lot in Lansingburgh from a George B Porter
In 1833 he sold property to George B Porter.

Ca 1854 they moved to Grundy Co., IL
Ca 1875 they moved again to Cloud Co., KS where they both died.

Duane Funk

Posted: 24 Jun 2013 12:36AM GMT
Surnames: Porter
Hi Duane -

Thanks so much for writing me about a possible connection between our great great grandparents. This is the first clue I have gotten about these ancestors and I am thrilled to think there were other family members......you just made my day!!!

Where did you find these property records with Ishmael buying and selling property to George Porter? Do you have information on Fanny's family (ie: brothers, sisters and parents) and if indeed that was her true legal name.

I would love to discuss this information and find out what you know about the Porters in the 1800s and before. Please e-mail me at bz01@lehigh.edu to discuss further.

Best,
Barbara Zehner
per page

Find a board about a specific topic