Sharon Howard Marconi (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jul 2006 7:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: O'NEIL, HOWARD, CUMMINGS, COCHRANE, SYME
My GGGGrandfather, James O'Neil, was born in Ireland and was a coal
miner in Scotland in the early to mid 1800s. I would very much appreciate
if anyone could tell me where the Scottish coal mining operations were
located to help me narrow my search for James and his daughter
Margaret, born in 1827 in Ireland. Thanks much.

Re: O'NEIL ancestors

Posted: 20 Apr 2010 2:52AM GMT
James O'Neil, My ggggrandfather went to Dalry, Ayrshire to work in the coal mines. My GGgrandfather is his son John. I am in contact with Margaret's GGgranddaughter.

Posted: 20 Apr 2010 7:35PM GMT
Surnames: O'Neil, Howard, Barr, Cochran, Craig
Margaret O'Neil, born in 1827 in County Down, is my GGGrandmother and daughter of James O'Neil. Margaret died in 1885 in Dalry, Ayr, Scotland. My
GGGGrandfather James had a son named John born in 1828. Do we have a connection?

Posted: 21 Apr 2010 12:12AM GMT
Yes. John is Margaret's brother. What is your email address? I know a GGgranddaughter of Margaret. She lives in Orem Utah. She is into geneaology and ancestry and would love to hear from you. When you send it, I will pass your email on to her.

Mark

Posted: 21 Apr 2010 1:25PM GMT
Mark, I am thrilled to have possibly made a connection to this ancestor. I have tried unsuccessfully for years, even going so far as to visit Grey Abbey, Down. My e-address is SLMarconi@prodigy.net. Thanks for facilitating this connection! I will look forward to hearing from Margaret's GGranddaughter.

Sharon

Posted: 18 Dec 2012 8:22PM GMT
Margaret O'Neil died 21 January 1885, married Dalry 7 June 1850 to James Howard born @ 1823 Ireland. She had four siblings, James born @ 1821 Ireland, John born@ 1828 Ireland, William born @ 1832 Dalry, Elizabeth born @ 1840 Dalry. All of the childrens dates are from the 1841 Dalry census.
I also have a John O'Neil in the 1851 Dalry census age 22 married to Agnes aged 23 staying at 34 new Street Dalry. I have copies of both plus marriage cert.James & margaret 1850. who were my GGgrandparents on my mum's side
If this looks right contact me at g.oberst@hotmail.co.uk
I'll be happy to share info & copies of documentation

Posted: 18 Dec 2012 8:50PM GMT
Hi Mark, Just posted a reply on Ancestry.co.uk if you could check the details for a match. there is a Margaret born 14 August 1866 and a John born 26 August 1862, two of the nine siblings to my Ggrandmother Martha Howard born 14 October 1864. All children of James Howard & Margaret O'Neil

Hope this helps, lots of additional info if it matches.

George

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 11:06PM GMT
Yes it is the family. Margaret O'Neil Howard is the sister of mu GGgrandfather John. I have heard from two other descendants of Margaret. Sharon Marconi and Sandra Ramos.
Thanks
Mark

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 1:35PM GMT
Hi Mark, good to hear from you & of the family connection.I contacted Sharon Marconi & sent her a load of original documents relating to the Howard family. She was having 'e' mail problems & I haven't received confirmation that she received them.I live in Ardrossan, which is about five miles from Dalry, where John O'Neil was born. Do you have any original documents for John? If not I may be able to access them through local records. My 'e' mail address is g.oberst@hotmail.co.uk
Look forward to hearing from you,

Regards,

George.

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 9:29PM GMT
George,
Which John O'Neil are you referring to? John, Margarets younger brother is my gggrandfather and he was born in Grey Abbey, North Ireland. My wife and are planning a trip to Ireland and Scotland in 2014 and I would like to meet you and see where the ancestors are buried; my email address is mwoneil@beyondbb.com

Mark.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions