Search for content in message boards

Institution of Mercy orphanage

Institution of Mercy orphanage

Posted: 20 Dec 2009 3:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Can anyone tell me where these records are located? Any advice is most appreciated. Thank you, Margaret in NJ

Re: Institution of Mercy orphanage

Posted: 20 Dec 2009 10:49PM GMT
Hi Margaret,

This one is really tough to pin down. The Sisters of Mercy opened the original Institution of Mercy on Houston St. in about 1849. The building was sold, along with its adjoining convent for the sisters, in 1885 and the Institution was moved to 81st and Madison. It appears that they opened a "branch" in Tarrytown about 1900. I assume this is the one you are referring to.

The history gets a little murky. The NY site appears to have closed around 1945. The Tarrytown site was sold and there is an indication that it was moved moved in 1962 to Mount Mercy in Dobbs Ferry. Here the trail runs cold for anything actually called the Institution of Mercy. A NY Times story about the move lists the following on the property:
- the order's new provincial house
- Mercy College
- Our Lady of Victory Academy
- a motherhouse with convent, infirmary, novitiate and juniorate

I think there are 2 avenues to pursue. One is through the community of the Sisters of Mercy. Their organization is in constant flux, but I think this is a reliable address:
Sisters of Mercy
Mid-Atlantic Community, New York
150 Ridge Road
Hartsdale, NY 10530

The other, less likely to be successful, is through Mercy College:
Name:
Christine Baker
Director of Public Relations and Marketing
Mercy College
555 Broadway
Dobbs Ferry, NY 10522

Posted: 21 Dec 2009 1:28AM GMT
Surnames: Spielmann, Spillman, Spellman
Bob: This advice is most appreciated. I will pursue both avenues. Having had success with the Dominican Sisters in Sparkill for the St. Agnes Home records, and the Franciscan Sisters in Peekskill for the St. Joseph's Home records, I am upbeat that maybe something will come of your recommendations.
Thank you, Margaret in NJ

Posted: 10 Apr 2011 5:30PM GMT
Surnames: Lawrence
I am just starting a family search for my Mother-in-law who lived at Institution of Mercy orphanage as a young child (DOB 12/26/23)until she was 18. She had an older and younger sister that she didn't see again as the orphanage kept the children separated by age and did not keep siblings together. Did you have any luck locating any records for the orphanage?

Posted: 11 Jun 2011 11:34PM GMT
Folks, I had a number of ancestors who were at the Institution of Mercy in Tarrytown. Has anyone been able to track down where the records from the institution may be? Thank you.

Bill

Posted: 12 Jun 2011 8:14PM GMT
Surnames: Institute of Mercy
Bill: I have the contact info that I was successful with last year. Will find and post for you. Margaret in NJ

Posted: 1 Jul 2011 7:52PM GMT
That would be wonderful--thank you so much!

Posted: 6 Jul 2011 6:54PM GMT
All requests for info on anyone who was at the Institute of Mercy must be directed to:

Virginia Tierney, Program Director
Catholic Guardian Society & Home Bureau
1011 First Ave.
NY, NY 10022

You need to document why you need the information.

Posted: 6 Jul 2011 6:55PM GMT
All requests for info on anyone who was at the Institute of Mercy must be directed to:

Virginia Tierney, Program Director
Catholic Guardian Society & Home Bureau
1011 First Ave.
NY, NY 10022

You need to document why you need the information.

Posted: 29 Aug 2011 4:47AM GMT
Thank you so very much for this--do you or others have a sense of what kind of information they have available? Many thanks. Bill
per page

Find a board about a specific topic