Search for content in message boards

Shaw Family with Cherokee Heritage

Shaw Family with Cherokee Heritage

Posted: 13 Apr 2009 4:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Apr 2009 12:51PM GMT
Surnames: SHAW, MAUPIN, McFARLAND
Still looking for anyone who might be from the same Shaw line as me. I had Ancestry/Ethnicity test (actually 2 DNA tests) which resulted in my having more Native American than I first was told. Results were that I am just under 1/4th Native American. Was told that Cherokee comes from my grandfather, HENRY SHAW, son of JOHN A SHAW and MARTHA McFARLAND. It appears that my grandmother,EDNA CLARA MAUPIN wife of HENRY SHAW, also had Native American, possibly Chickasaw. She was born out-of-wedlock (we know nothing of her real father). My SHAW family ended up in Missouri around 1870. Hitting brickwalls!
Would like to hear from anyone who could be from the same line as us! My email address is memaw2008@comcast.net

Re: Shaw Family with Cherokee Heritage

Posted: 28 Mar 2010 1:04AM GMT
Surnames: Shaw
My grandfather was Lewis M Shaw born in Alabama (his parents were also born in Alabama) and I was told the we were of Cherokee Heritage, this is all I know.

Posted: 5 Apr 2010 8:34PM GMT
Edited: 5 Apr 2010 11:16PM GMT
Surnames: Shaw
do you know if this shaw ever went to tennessee or had a william shaw as a son of john..I am thinking this is my line also but do not know for sure.
thanks
cristy

Posted: 6 Apr 2010 3:16AM GMT
Edited: 6 Apr 2010 2:08PM GMT
Surnames: Shaw, Staggs, McCorkle
My gr-gr-gr grandfather was William B. Shaw born in 1801 in South Carolina and he married Jinnat ("Jane") McCorkle, also born on South Carolina. My gr-gr-gr grandfather could have gone into Tennessee with his parents as a child. I don't know for sure who his father was, have read in the 1880 Parke Co., IN Atlas that his father was William Shaw...but this info could have be incorrect. My Cherokee heritage comes from my gr-g-grandfather's wife's side and her name was Mahala Staggs. According to the Park Co., IN census, my gr-gr-gr grandfather (Mahala's father) was born in Tennessee! I have had my DNA tested twice, one was a Ancestry Ethnicity DNA test and I'm just under 1/4th Native American. My dad was told that our heritage was Cherokee....others from our line were told the same. I have other tribes in my heritage as well. My dad's mom was illegitimate so we don't know who her father was...part of my Native American has to come from her since my dad only thought that he was 1/8th Cherokee. My mom had some Native American, but not sure which tribe, either. My grandfather, Henry Shaw refused to register on the Dawes and he was born in 1883 (that's what my dad and his sisters told us). All I have hit are brickwalls. The Staggs in that line (all except for one person said that they do not know of Cherokee in their line). So, not much help there. It's so frustrating to not be able to find out anything, that's why I, and two of my cousins have resorted to DNA testing. We have letters on the Native American in our line...my aunts searched for years. The last letter that I have is from 1969! You can email me at memaw2008@comcast.net
I would love to hear from you!
With the DNA testing my family has matched to many Cherokee and Chickasaw lines.

Posted: 7 Jan 2011 3:27AM GMT
Yes we have cheroke blood in our Shaw line. But it came down in the Sherman line. One of them married a Hicks said to be cheroke.
Viola.

Posted: 1 Apr 2011 6:25AM GMT
Edited: 7 Dec 2011 9:31PM GMT
Surnames: Callahan Mowdy
I too am tracking down a Shaw who is supposed to be Cherokee. Our family has been told that Ruth Esther Shaw was half Cherokee. Her name is also appearing as Rutha and possibly Ruthie. Ruth was born March 1880 in Texas and she married Edward Franklin Callahan around 1897. Her parents were born in Mississippi. Edward Callahan was born in Missouri.
The Texas 1880 census indicates that these are her parents and siblings:
Father: John Danslar Shaw born about 1839 in Mississippi
Mother: Mary Jane (Mowdy) Shaw born about 1847 in Alabama
Sister: Mary A. Shaw born about 1875 in Texas
Brother: J. D. Shaw born about 1877
Sister: Francis Shaw born about 1879
Have any of her extended family or descendants registered on the Dawes List or received recognition of Cherokee ancestry?
We believe that Mary Jane Mowdy was Cherokee. I have contacted other descendants of this family and they too have heard that Mary Jane was Native American.

Posted: 10 Jul 2011 6:28PM GMT
Surnames: Shaw, Worley, Goodwin, Moore, Sweeney, Grayham
Our Shaw's Cherokee heritage is said to be thru Solomon Shaw B:1834 in Ashe co. N.C.. He married Mariah Ellen Worley, daughter of Edmond Spencer Worley, and Martha Patsy Moore. Mariah is said to be Cherokee.
Solomon and Mariah had 10 children, one was Rosa Etta Shaw, she married into the Goodwin family, and my husbands mother was born to them. Another one of their daughters was Amanda Ellen Shaw, she married John Henry Glass, son of Lucius Monroe and Catherine Glass. All confusing, I find no physical proof, only family say so.

Posted: 24 Jul 2011 1:15AM GMT
Take a look at my family tree. I know that my 4th great grandfather, Leonard Shaw married a Cherokee Lady...sometime around 1791....

They had many children, but I do not know all their names; and I can not find a viable source with his siblings. If his siblings went towards Missouri, then you and I could be related.

Posted: 25 Jul 2011 11:47PM GMT
What part of MO. did they end up in??? I have Shaw's all over the area near St.Charles...

Posted: 26 Jul 2011 2:25AM GMT
They ended up in Montgomery Co., MO. Do you have Cherokee descent?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic