Search for content in message boards

African American & White Canton GA Family Info And Stories

African American & White Canton GA Family Info And Stories

Posted: 8 May 2002 1:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bates, Bishop, Delaney,Emmerson, Greene, Keith, Lay
Hello. I am looking for any information either genealogical or anecdotal on the following people, surnames and stories mentioned below. Looking for any possible family links of the same surnames as I have more family in my database. Most are African American but some are also White. The big mystery is that my 90 year old aunt, now deceased, said that there was a portrait of a white man in their home and they were told that was their ggrandfather. She couldn't recall which side of the family and the portrait is long lost. I am also very interested in anyone with information on slaveowners with slaves of the family names I am looking into. Not for retribution nor reparation, just for genealogy. I have many photos of my ancestors to compare with anyone thinks their may be a connection. All listed were in Canton GA, Mullins District.

BATES- I believe that Mathias Bates,born 1803 in SC but found in Canton GA census, may have been the slave owner of my ancestors. James Bates 1819 to about 1910 and his wife Sarah Unknown 1826 to 1915 or so. There children are Paul, Alberry, Lewis,Harriet, Savilla,Sallie, Amanda and twin boys Park and Parker.

BISHOP- William Bishop was the White neighbor of my ggrandfather, William Lay. He had a big farm next to William Lay and they were good friends, and apparently bootleggers together. Really interested here in any family stories that match the ones I have.

DELANEY-Minnie Delaney 1888-1942 married my ggrandfather William Lay in 1913, his second wife. I have no idea who her parents were. But it has been said that the child she had before she married William may have been fathered by a Native American. This is only a story, no proof.

EMMERSON- The story goes Clara Emmerson and Minnie Bell Emmerson, were Minnie Delaney's neices. The Emmersons are the ones who put Minnie and William together. No other info on the Emmersons other than they were very light skin with long hair and I do have a photo of the two girls at a pre-teen age.

GREENE- I was told that a Mr Greene, White,married one of the daughters of Mr Bishop. There is a couple Arthur and Dovie Greene in the 1910 census living in between Mr Bishop and my ggrandfather. It is my understanding that they and my ggrandfather lived next to each other, all as friends, with no racial problems. After ggrandfather died, his land was sold to the Greene family. There was a church, and a cemetery on the land besides his home.

KEITH- I have many Keiths married into the family, but I see that there were many White Keiths in Canton, and I will assume, also slave owners. I would like to speak to any White Keiths that have info on slave holdings and slave names or stories. Also there is an Uncle Jim Keith 1851-? married to Savilla (Aunt Babe) Unknown 1855-?. Jim Keith was also known as "Smut Jim". He was the first "colored" man to own a car in Canton and he got his name and photo in the newspaper. He won it at a county fair and I have a photo of him in the car, but not the newspaper. I can't date cars but I am sure some else can. I will say it makes me think of a Model T.

LAY- William Lay 1870-1934 was my ggrandfather. No parental info. Not sure if he was born in GA. Seemed to be prosperous for a "colored" man, given the times. He built a church and a cemetry on his land. As a bootlegger he had to have be well known in the area. Siblings may have been Agnes and Callie. He had a nephew Andy Lay 1872-?, very fair, son of an unknown white man. Andy was a traveling preacher, singer, musican and cook. He had one son by a unknown female, named Golden, who died as a teen. He then married Nancy Unknown, no children. Andy died in Marrietta GA, Cobb Co.

Thanks for reading my rather long post.
Beverly

Re: African American & White Canton GA Family Info And Stories

Posted: 22 Nov 2007 1:37PM GMT
Surnames: Keith, Moore, Weems, Kellogg
Hello, I am researching some Keiths from Cherokee county as well. Are any of these Keiths in your family line?

Name Birth date Birth place
Keith, Annie Bell
Keith, Beatrice
Keith, Burton Buster? 1909 Cherokee County GA
Keith, Clarence E. March 22, 1922 Canton, Cherokee County Ga
Keith, Daisy July 1891
Keith, Dave Sept 1886
Keith, Gladys
Keith, Grace
Keith, J.P. (James P.?) March 13, 1913 Cherokee County Ga
Keith, Jacob 1845 GA
Keith, James Lee
Keith, James P. May 1862
Keith, Janie L.
Keith, Lela, Lula M.
Keith, Lucile 1914
Keith, Massie July 1891
Keith, Ruth
Keith, Tony B. Aug 1890
Keith, Walter

Posted: 9 Jan 2008 9:01AM GMT
Surnames: Lay, Bates, Keith, Howard, Rodgers,
My grandmother's Aunt, Savilla Bates born 1855, married Jim Keith, born around 1851 and that is one way they are related to me, but not by blood. I have some photos. I have about 12 of the names you have, none of the dates, and would be more than happy to exchange GEDCOM Files.
Beverly

Posted: 9 Jan 2008 11:46AM GMT
Sounds like the correct family because I have a Savilla Bates (March 1864 - Aug 19, 1937) that married a James (Jim) P. Keith Aug 15, 1880 in Cherokee County. Please email me at Kpurplerose_2000@yahoo.com and I can send you a GED file.

Posted: 11 May 2011 2:49PM GMT
Surnames: BATES, BOWEN
Hi Beverly: I'm trying to trace Alberry Bates's daughter Sarah (or Sallie) Bates who married Bob Bowen in Cherokee Co., GA on October 6, 1888. I would like to share info. Could you contact me at mccghn191@att.net? Thank you, Janice
per page

Find a board about a specific topic