Ancestry

Search for content in message boards

Moses Porter Family of Steuben County, New York

Moses Porter Family of Steuben County, New York

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 4:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Porter, Sackett, Finch, Brink
The Moses Porter (1785?-1847) family appears in the Steuben County census lists for 1830 and 1840. Moses died in Cohocton on 10 April 1847. He and his wife, Elizabeth, had at least eleven children. They are Bethany (Sackett), Ruth (Finch), George, Henry, Rachel, Moses, John, Phillip, Electa (Brink), James R., and Isaac. I have quite a bit of info on this family---looking for more.
Greg

Re: Moses Porter Family of Steuben County, New York

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 4:23PM GMT
that confirms what i had thought for years , electa was not henry porters daughter thanks

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 2:08AM GMT
Surnames: Porter
Thanks I am looking for more info the Moses and Elizabeth

Posted: 22 Aug 2015 2:27AM GMT
Moses Porter was a grandfather in my tree. Where was he born and who were his parents? Do you have any information on his wife?

Thanks in advance
Valorie Martin

Posted: 15 Sep 2015 3:59PM GMT
Edited: 15 Sep 2015 4:06PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Brink, Denny, Adams, Thomas, Thurben, Thurber
Hello Valorie,
I wish I knew more about Moses Porter. I know he was a resident of Cohocton Township, Steuben County, New York from sometime before 1825 until after 1835. He is in the census records for 1825, 1835, and 1840. I have that he died 10 April 1847 in Cohocton. He did leave a will that was probated in Steuben County. In 1861, his daughter, Bethany, married her second husband in Wisconsin, and she referred to her father as “Moses Porter, Esq.” on her marriage registration, which might indicate that Moses was a lawyer. In the History of the Settlement of Steuben County, New York by Guy McMasters, copyright 1853, there is this passage in Chapter VII which may refer to Moses:
“Judge Porter died in 1847. He was for many years one of the most prominent citizens of the town (Prattsburg), and was a man of liberal education, of much literary taste, and an efficient and conscientious magistrate.” The annalist of the town continues, ``He probably filled more offices of trust among this people than any other man of his day. Our early town records show that all the most responsible offices within our bounds have from time to time been filled by him.”
I have Moses Porter’s birth year at 1785, but I have not found anything to verify that date. His daughter Electa Ann (Porter) Brink’s 1880 and 1900 census listings indicate that both her parents were born in New York. His son Phillip’s 1900 census record indicates that his father was born in Ireland and his mother was born in New York.
His wife was named Elizabeth. According to census records, she was born in New York in about 1790.
In June of 1850, Elizabeth Porter, age 60, was living with her son Isaac, age 14, in Cohocton, Steuben County, New York. Also living with them is Ruth Denny, age 85. The census indicates that all three household members were born in New York. There is an internet family tree that lists Elizabeth's maiden name as Denny. Ruth Denny could be her mother, or an aunt. There are also a published family trees on Ancestry.com that suggest that her maiden name was Adams, but none of them show proof that her name was Adams.

In the 1865 New York census is a listing in Naples, Ontario County for Elizabeth Porter, age 77, born in Dutchess County, New York, and living with her daughter Philecy (Felicity?) Thomas, age 54, and Philecy’s child, Lucy Thurben, age 26. The entry for Philecy indicates that she was married twice, and had 9 children. The entry for Elizabeth indicates that she was married once, is widowed, and had 14 children. If this is Elizabeth, wife of Moses Porter, Philecy would be their twelfth known child. I cannot find corroboration in other census records for Philecy marrying a Thurben, having a child, Lucy, and then marrying a Thomas. The surname “Thurben” could be “Thurber”. In the 1840 census, living next to the Moses Porter family is the L. P. Thurber family, with adults aged 20 to 29 years. This is likely Philecy and her family.

Greg
per page

Find a board about a specific topic