Search for content in message boards

Unknown Gorsline

Unknown Gorsline

Posted: 9 Oct 2001 11:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gorsline
I'm looking for an Unknown Gorsline who lived in Vernon Co., Wisconsin. He married Maria J. Southwick, daughter of Milton Southwick and Juliette Lamb. Maria and Unknown Gorsline had three children: Lloyd (b. 1884), Roy (b. 1882) and Dora (b. 1886). I'm pretty sure that Maria died shortly after Dora was born. Her father, Milton Southwick mentioned all three children in his will in 1889, and indicated that they still lived in Vernon Co., Wisconsin. Any help on the mystery would sure be appreciated!

Re: Unknown Gorsline

Posted: 10 Oct 2001 3:01PM GMT
This may be of some help. From the Vernon Co Marriage index. Asher Gorsline married 5 May 1881 Mira Southwick. Asher remarried to an Ewing on 19 Jun 1890. The complete record which I do not have might confirm if this is Maria. The dates match well with your information.

Jerry

Janet Fleming (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 2001 5:51PM GMT
Thanks so much! I's so surprised that you spotted my query so quickly. This is the best lead I've had. I'll check it out and let you know if it's a match. The dates do all work well with my data. Thanks again.

Posted: 23 Oct 2001 5:43PM GMT
Edited: 29 Sep 2005 12:19AM GMT
Also doing the Gorsline family. Asher Gorsline married Nina Southwick. They are both buried at Liberty Pole Cemetery near Viroqua. Nina died in 1888 as per her tombstone. Feb. 12 to be exact.

Janet Fleming (View posts)
Posted: 23 Oct 2001 5:55PM GMT
Thanks so much for sending the information. The date of death that you provided would seem to be consistent with other data I have on the Southwick I'm researching. Family records list her as Marie or Maria Southwick. Her last child, Dora Gorsline, was born in 1886. Maria's three children are all mentioned in the Will of her father which was written in 1889, when he died, but there was no mention of her husband. It was obvious that Maria was dead by then though. According to my mother, the family never mentioned her, and didn't seem to have much to do with the one son, Lloyd who moved to Oregon where two of Maria's brothers were living. Thanks again!

Posted: 25 Oct 2001 10:16AM GMT
I'm another Gorsline and I live in WI. Will be happy to assist.

Viroqua is several hours from where I live, but I do get there about 1 - 2 times annually. Have access to statewide 1850 / 1860 census.

There was another post c 1988 on the Vernon Co site re: Sylvester Gorsline, s/o Sylvester Gorsline Sr.

My g grandfather had a brother named Sylvester.

It is possible this Gorsline was son or brother to Sylvester, who was known to be in Vernon Co?

Since you just discovered the name of your Gorsline, I doubt you have information further back on that line. If it does connect to the line that I descend from, I will be happy to share info. Have line traced back to Europe 1500's, and still working on that.

Gorsline is not that common a Surname, and if your Gorsline is connected to Sylvester, I strongly suspect a connection.

Melanie Gorsline Rice

Posted: 25 Oct 2001 10:20AM GMT
Surnames: Gorsline / Gosselin
Hi. I am a Gorsline in WI. Will be happy to help. I have access to the statewide 1850/1860 census. I live several hours from Vernon County, but I do get there at least once a year.

I just found another post on Vernon Co site from 1998 re: Sylvester Gorsline, s/o Sylvester Gorsline Sr. Neither name is common, and I strongly suspect a connection, as my g grandfather, James Thomas Gorsline had a brother named Sylvester.

Could Sylvester be brother or father to your Gorsline in Vernon Co?

Since you just discovered his name, I doubt you have further info on the family. If your line does connect, I have the line back to 1500's and am still working on that. Will be happy to share info, and am interested in your line.

Melanie Gorsline Rice
Volunteer Rock Co, WI site

Posted: 25 Oct 2001 10:23AM GMT
Irma,

I am another Gorsline in WI. I don't know if there is a connection or not, but I just saw a post re: Sylvester Gorsline from 1998 on this board.

Could Sylvester Gorsline be brother or father to Asher?

I have a Sylvester Gorsline who was brother to my g grandfather, James Thomas Gorsline.

Have more info on the family if you think there may be a connection.

Are you in WI also?

Melanie Gorsline Rice

Posted: 25 Oct 2001 10:23AM GMT
Surnames: Gorsline
Irma,

I am another Gorsline in WI. I don't know if there is a connection or not, but I just saw a post re: Sylvester Gorsline from 1998 on this board.

Could Sylvester Gorsline be brother or father to Asher?

I have a Sylvester Gorsline who was brother to my g grandfather, James Thomas Gorsline.

Have more info on the family if you think there may be a connection.

Are you in WI also?

Melanie Gorsline Rice

Posted: 25 Oct 2001 4:34PM GMT
I haven't been able to confirm that Asher Gorsline married the Maria Southwick that I am looking for. The data people have provided me with is great, and points me in a direction anyway. A lot of the information on Asher Gorsline sure fits in terms of time frame.

The only Gorsline information I have at this time is on the three children of Maria and Unknown Gorsline:
Lloyd Gorsline b. Dec. 6, 1884 Vernon Co., WI; d. January 25, 1954 Polk Co., OR. He married a woman called Alethia.
Roy Gorsline b. Sept. 7, 1882 Vernon Co., WI; d. Nov. 1968 Bismark, Burleigh Co., ND.
Dora Gorsline b. 1886 Vernon Co., WI.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions