Search for content in message boards

Search for ancestors

Search for ancestors

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 8 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Vandermaar
My grandfather came to the U.S. from Groningen in the late 1800's, I think 1880's, with his parents at the age of 3. His name was John Vandermaar. They ended up in Chicago. I am interested to know if we have any relatives still in Holland. Please direct me where to begin to look and what information I would need. Thank you

Searching for emigrants

Posted: 9 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jul 2006 9:20PM GMT
Surnames: Maar, van der Maar
Dear Carol,

Prof. Swierenga has collected information about dutch households in the US in the late 1800's. This has been published in a series of books, available in large libraries in the US. This would give you an idea of the time of arrival, possibly the town of origin.

You ancestor would have been known as Jan or Johannes van der Maar (found under "M" -not V!- in dutch alphabetical lists). If you cannot find a town of origin you could look for the marriage of his parents (if you know their names) in the province of Groningen.

If you do have the town of origin (either through that marriage record or using another source), you can look them up in the population register of that city, then you'll probably find the date of emigration too.

I also remember that some books were published about the (van) de(r) Maar family, by Dr. E. de Maar, who died last year.

If you have more specific questions, you're welcome to e-mail me privately.

Cheers,

Lars Roobol
http://www.oprit.rug.nl/proobol

Voorouder

J. Blydenburgh (View posts)
Posted: 17 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: BLIJDENBURGH
Augustyne Blijdenburgh was al in 1650 in Nieuw Amsterdam
(New York) Geen idee waar hij vandaan kwam

Re: Search for ancestors

Posted: 2 Dec 2009 12:52AM GMT
Hi Carol,
I misplaced your phone number. I'm Ricky Harris, daughter-in-law of your Grandmother's sister Florence. Please contact me with your phone number again so I can get working on the Bengtsson/Peterson family.
My niece, Carol is also working on this family.

Ricky Harris
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions