Search for content in message boards

Mahars in Newfoundland, Canada

Mahars in Newfoundland, Canada

Posted: 21 Nov 2001 2:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Aug 2005 12:16AM GMT
I am looking for some infornation on the Mahar family. Specifically I wanted some info on any Mahars that came to Newfoundland, Canada. My grandfather told me that there was a family of several Mahar brothers that came across to North America, some stayed and settled here in Canada, with others went to the USA. My great grandfather was Christopher Mahar, of Bird Cove Newfoundland. I know that there are variation of the spelling Mahar( as my family uses), and Maher. If anyone has any clues as to where the brothers went or any general info, please contact me.

Re: Mahars in Newfoundland, Canada

Posted: 4 Nov 2002 3:41AM GMT
I ahve a James Maher(meagher) who settled in Holyrood ,newfoundland, born in 1804 and died in 1894( i believe his wife's name was Bridget Brennan
gerard

Posted: 2 Nov 2004 12:13AM GMT
Surnames: mahar
my husbands grandmother was Mary Agnes Mahar and was born in June 1878 ...she lived in Port Saunders with her husband William H Caines....I can find no other listing for her other than the 1921 and 1945 St Barbe census. It states her as being born in Port aux Choix, but can not place her family there...the only Mahar's would be too young to be her parents

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 11:51AM GMT
Surnames: Maher, furlong, Walsh
My Grandfather was James Joseph Maher born 1876 and lived in St Johns. I've been tryig to trace my ancestors through a canadian contact. She thinks my gt grandfather was John Maher married to Mary Ann Furlong and his father was William Maher married to Catherine Walsh. All who lived in St Johns. I'd love to know when the family came to Nfld. There seem to be a lot of Mahers in Cork in Ireland and I wondered if that's where we originated from.

Posted: 15 Apr 2007 11:01PM GMT
Surnames: MAHER, LINEGAR, BUTLER, JACKMAN
My husband's family are Maher(s) of Newfoundland. We too are trying to sort out which family they are connected to...and when and who was the first from Ireland... Our first known in Newfoundland was William born in July 1869 who married Bridget Jackman born Abt. 01 Oct 1864 in Brigus. These Mahers later settled in Massachusetts...any help would be greatly appreciated...

Posted: 16 Apr 2007 1:42PM GMT
Not sure if this helps but my records show a William Maher born on 21st July 1869 to James Maher and Anne Butler. The sponsors for the baptism were Henry Brown and Eliza Leiden. To my knowledge you are not directly related to me but, strangely, my grandparents were James Joseph Maher (St Johns) and Mary Monica Jackman (Renews) so we must be related somewhere along the line! I found the Newfoundland's Grand Banks genealogy site very helpful. If you have more details, I might have more info for you as I was given a long sheet of baptisms registered for Mahers and Jackmans from 1805 - 1896. Good luck! If you find out anything related to my line, I would be very grateful if you could let me know.

Posted: 16 Apr 2007 5:46PM GMT
thanks so much... do you know where I could get a copy of the record...we had written to the vital records and no birth record was available...or dates on the parents? I thought I'd come across this info but then wasn't sure however that dob fits...
many thanks... will look at you info for any help I might be able to provide... have a great day :)

Posted: 17 Apr 2007 9:14AM GMT
The record I sent was from the Basilica of St John The Baptist Roman Catholic Church, St Johns. There was a fire that swept through St Johns way back when which destroyed lots of records. The Basilica, being built of stone, didn't burn and so is a good source of baptismal records. I would send the list I was given by a St Johns genealogist if you would like it but this site won't accept my Word file. If you go on the Grand Banks site you can look up gravestone info, get details of baptisms and even some excerpts from local papers. You can search the whole site if you go to the bottom of the Home Page to the search field there. I found a Will for Bridget Maher but couldn't tie it in with any info I know about my family, but she might be your Bridget (Jackman). You could also go to The Rooms website and ask them to do a search in their Archives but I think they charge. Hope you have some success!

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 3:03AM GMT
On our last trip to NFLD, we discovered James' parents... Richard Maher and Catherine Kelly. That is as far back as we could go at this point. Still no direction connection with Ireland as yet.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions