Search for content in message boards

Elizabeth, d/o Nathaniel & Susanna BAKER: bn 1827 Eastry/Sandwich

Elizabeth, d/o Nathaniel & Susanna BAKER: bn 1827 Eastry/Sandwich

Posted: 11 Feb 2005 11:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Feb 2005 6:33PM GMT
Surnames: Baker
I am looking for information on Elizabeth Baker, christened April 8, 1827 at St. Mary's, Eastry, Sandwich. Her parents were Nathaniel and Susanna. This is all the information I havve on them. Help please, if you can. Thank you.

Nathaniel BAKER: bn 1805 Eythorne, marr 1826 Margate

john kavanagh (View posts)
Posted: 12 Feb 2005 10:53AM GMT
Edited: 12 Feb 2005 6:35PM GMT
Surnames: Baker, Twyman
hi....i have found a nathaniel baker marrying 5 june 1826 at st johns church margate which is only a short distance from sandwhich. also there are other twymans being married at the same time as elizabeth who could be siblings.

also a nathaniel baker baptized 15 sep 1805 son of thomas & sarah baker in the village of eythorne which is near by to sandwich i believe.
did elizabeth baker marry locally?/

regards....john kavanagh

Nathaniel BAKER marr Susanna TWYMAN

john kavanagh (View posts)
Posted: 12 Feb 2005 10:55AM GMT
Edited: 12 Feb 2005 6:35PM GMT
Surnames: Baker, Thomson, Twyman
sorry i forgot to mention that nathaniel married a susan thomson twyman.sorry for the mistake!!

Research Difficulties re: BAKER & TWYMAN

Yvonne (View posts)
Posted: 12 Feb 2005 5:13PM GMT
Edited: 12 Feb 2005 6:37PM GMT
Surnames: Baker, Twyman
Hi John: Thanks for the response.The Nathaniel Baker and Susanna Twyman married June 5, 1826 at St John's are my people.The problem I'm having is with their children. The IGI seems to have the names entered backwards. This is what I've managed to find at St. John's. They have to be the same individual:
1. Nathaniel Baker Twyman christened June 11, 1826
Mother: SarahAnn Twyman
Father: ?
2. Nathaniel Baker Twyman christened June 11, 1826
Father: Twyman
Mother: SusanneAnn

Then we jump to St. Mary's, Eastry, Sandwich:
1. Elizabeth Baker christened April 8, 1827
Father: Nathaniel Baker
Mother: Susanna ?

I have had no luck finding any records for St. Mary's. If I could find Elizabeth's christening record it might answer some questions for me about her parentage. Is is possible that they switched chuches? I don't know if she married locally or not. She may have had 3 children, although I don't know why they would be listed as Bakers.
1. Elizabeth Baker born 1850 Eastry
2. Ann Baker born 1852 born Eastry
3. John Baker born 1852 or 1853. Eastry

Sorry to bore you with all this but I really need help. If you can be of any assistance I will be most grateful.
Yvonne

About Parish Records of St. Mary's Eastry

Posted: 12 Feb 2005 6:54PM GMT
Hello Yvonne -- you mentioned having "no luck finding any records for St. Mary's" (Eastry).

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you meant here but these records do exist, and in a variety of places and sources. For example, in England, the Bishop's Transcripts (BTs) -- a contemporary copy of the PRs -- are at the Canterbury Cathedral Library with copies at the Kent Archives Office, the Kent FHS and the Society of Genealogists in London.

However, if you're not in England, both the PRs and the BTs can be searched on microfilm at any FHC, if you have one near you.

The LDS website at http://www.familysearch.org lists -- in the Family History Library Catalog (FHLC) under Place Search -- the following records for Eastry during the time period you're interested in:

Bishop's transcripts, 1564-1898
Parish registers for Eastry, 1559-1951
Parish registers, 1559-1986

The microfilms for records of St. John Thanet (Margate) can similarly be found in the FHLC.

The confusion over surnames in the IGI is not surprising. The IGI, while invaluable in many ways, is notorious for errors, omissions, gaps and all manner of incorrect info. Therefore, not a source to rely on completely. Much better to go to the original documents.

Hope this is helpful. Regards, Andrea (admin for Kent Board)

Re: About Parish Records of St. Mary's Eastry

Yvonne (View posts)
Posted: 12 Feb 2005 10:12PM GMT
Hi Andrea: Thanks for all the information. It is very helpful I did check the LDS catalog and found two entries:

1. BT - Church of England-Parish Church of Eastry, Kent
2. PR - Church of England-St. Mary's Church(Sandwich Kent)

The IGI lists Eliz. Baker being christened 1827 at St. Mary's, Eastry, Sandwich. Which would you suggest I order? Are there two different St. Mary's, one in Eastry and one in Sandwich. Sorry for so many questions. I am in the U.S.and just a tad confused.

Thanks again, Yvonne

Re: Research Difficulties re: BAKER & TWYMAN

Posted: 31 Jan 2010 4:10AM GMT
hi guys, nathaniel edward baker twyman an nathaniel twyman , im sure there the same family, my pop is john austin twyman an hes dad is nathaniel twyman he came from margate kent, to australia about 1913, nats sister is sarah ann twyman married charles richard hodson, nathaniel edward baker twyman snr died 1949,theres about 3 or 4 gearations of nathaniels. goes back to 1805,1825 or 6, 1855, 1885 witch is mt great popi hope this help, i need help with all this as well. it does my head in some times. jodi

Re: Research Difficulties re: BAKER & TWYMAN

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 3:20PM GMT
Edited: 8 Feb 2013 3:22PM GMT
Surnames: HODSON
re Twyman family Sarah Ann Twyman was my grandmother her husband was Charles Richard Hodson my dads dad what help do want.regards Brian Hodson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic