canton province- toi shan county

canton province- toi shan county

Posted: 9 Aug 2005 8:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Aug 2006 11:00PM GMT
Surnames: lee shung hew
looking for family of- LEE SHUNG HEW
born at canotn province, toi shan county
immigrated to Canada, don't know when. but he was in this town 1920's. He is buried in this cemetery and we are trying to find info on people buried here.

Re: canton province- toi shan county

Al Chinn (View posts)
Posted: 3 Oct 2005 8:39PM GMT
What is the name of the town(s) in "this town", "this cemetery and "people buried here"?

Posted: 4 Oct 2005 4:14AM GMT
the town is Canwood, Saskatchewan. the cemetery is called the Canwood South Cemetery. One of the men buried here has a chinese headstone made by his friend and business partner. A local lady that lives here is Chinese and a friend of mine. I asked her to read the writing on the headstone as is it in Chinese, this is how I got the mans name and where he was from in China.
She told me his name was Lee Shung Hew. From Canton province, Toi Shan county.
There is no headstone for the other man. I do not know his full name, just Keong. This man made the headstone for Lee but there was no one to make one for Mr. Keong.
They both ran a cafe in Canwood for many years, I did find a year that Lee Hew came here, it was July 1926.
Lee passed away January 1936, I do not have an age for him, but people that remeber them say both men were about the same age. Mr. Keong passed away January 1937 and his age was listed as 61 years.

Al Chinn (View posts)
Posted: 5 Oct 2005 12:03AM GMT
Possible to post a jpg image of Lee's gravestone?

Posted: 5 Oct 2005 1:51AM GMT
yes I have two pictures. Can I send them to your e-mail address, as I can't seem to get the attachment to work on this message

Al Chinn (View posts)
Posted: 5 Oct 2005 3:57PM GMT
Yes, please do.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions