Search for content in message boards

Grazulis Family - Harrisburg

Grazulis Family - Harrisburg

Posted: 10 Apr 2009 1:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GRAZULIS, KINNEY, REYNOLDS
Does anyone have information on the Grazulis family that lived in Harrisburg?

Machael "Mike" (d. 1940) and wife Agnes (d. 1933)
children
John who drowned in Fla. 1947 and buried at Sunset, wife's name Doxie and daughter Mrs. Edward Kinney.
Andrew died 1979 and buried at Sunset
William died 1960 and buried at Sunset

Obit for John listed a Mrs. Beulah Reynolds as a sister, is this the same Beulah Reynolds that died in 1996 and is buried at Sunset (Obituary from the Evansville paper did not list parents names).

Re: Grazulis Family - Harrisburg

Posted: 29 Nov 2011 10:35PM GMT
The 1930 Census shows, Andrew, Mike (Jr. ?) and William still living at home with a sister Julia... My father is still alive and knew the Grazulis family when he lived in Harrisburg and has a cousin Buelah May Hedger Glass who's father was a Grazulis not a Hedger. Buelah's mom married Hedger and Buelah took her step dads name.

Posted: 29 Nov 2011 11:06PM GMT
The 1920 census shows that the girls listed as Julia in 1930 as Nellie. Yet another puzzle yet to be solved.

Ask your dad if he recalls anything about the Grazulis family being involved in any bootlegging activity?

Also does he know Beulah's mother's first name?

Posted: 29 Nov 2011 11:48PM GMT
Dad says her name was Nellie and was best friends with Buelah. Buelah's mother was Pansy Mae Taylor, daughter of Mary Gurley and Thomas Taylor. Pansy Married Hubert Hedger.
My grandfather told my dad that Nellie and Buelah are sisters....

Dad said there is a good chance they were involved in Bootlegging as a lot of folks were. The Grazulis family lived on the corner as you came into town next door to grandpa's grocery store/ gas station.

Posted: 30 Nov 2011 12:10AM GMT
Also when Bueluh was diagnosed with Lou Gehrigs disease it was assumed it came from her dad'd (Grazulis) side of the family since it was not anywhere else in the Taylor/Gurley/Hedger family's.

Posted: 30 Nov 2011 2:31PM GMT
I guess that means that Beulah is a half sister. Nellie's mother Agnes died in 1933 and her father in 1940 which would place Beulah's birth sometime between 1930 and 1940. Hopefuly the 1940 census due out next year will shed more light on this family.

Posted: 30 Nov 2011 3:52PM GMT
Yes they are half sisters and Bueluh was born in December of 1929. I'm not having any luck finding Pansy or Buelah on the 1930 census. I found Hubert Hedger living with a sister in law and states that he is married on the same census.

Also I'm curious what connection you have to this family ???
Do you know when the 1940 Census will be released?

Lynda

Posted: 30 Nov 2011 11:41PM GMT
The 1940 census is supposed to be released in April of next year.

Beulah is the aunt of wife (Nellie Ruth Grazulis -- John William's daughter) of third cousin (Edward Kinney).

Posted: 1 Mar 2012 9:39PM GMT
My mother (Nellie Ruth Grey) was an only child. Her father William Grey (he shortened it from Grazulis). His father also was William but retained the Grazulis name. I found a letter from my grandfather to my grandmother with a return address of 8 Shaw Street in Harrisburg, IL dated 12/27/1937 so he apparently moved from Scranton, PA but I wouldn't know when. I tried searching the Ellis Island site and found a lot of Grazulis names but none for William. It's a real mystery. Feel free to email me directly - it might be easier and perhaps we can solve this mystery - We may be cousins!!

Posted: 1 Mar 2012 11:01PM GMT
Would you leave your email address. Who did Nellie marry after Ed Kinney and when?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic