Search for content in message boards

Looking for Info on one 'Emily Tuala-Togaloa' (?)

Looking for Info on one 'Emily Tuala-Togaloa' (?)

Posted: 15 Aug 2008 12:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
A Samoan lady who went to Fiji and married a Fijian chief from the chiefly village of Somosomo in Taveuni, Fiji, circa 1920. All we have from anecdotal evidence was that she was (perhaps) part-German and that she came from Savaii. She was known in Fiji as 'Emily Tuala (or Tualua)Togaloa. We are guessing that her maiden name was probably Emily Tuala-Togaloa. Not being experts in Samoan naming conventions (we are from Fiji) we are not sure how the name would/should hang together in Samoan.

Emily had two sons who are considered senior chiefs in their own right who are now deceased but passed very little information onto their offspring. Nothing more was ever heard of Emily and we are keen to find out more. There are several chiefs in Fiji with Samoan blood connexions (just as there are many with Tongan connexions).

Any leads or information appreciated.

Vinaka

Re: Looking for Info on one 'Emily Tuala-Togaloa' (?)

Posted: 16 Aug 2008 9:05PM GMT
Surnames: Tagaloa, Togaloa, Tuala, Tualua
Talofa/Hello delano046:

"We are guessing that her maiden name was probably Emily Tuala-Togaloa."

W-h-y-? are you guessing? I need to know whether you know of a surname or not. What I'm hearing is you have heard of the surname "Tuala-Togaloa" and maybe do not know if it is two surnames hyphenated and they may have been or maybe one is her maiden name. Or because of lack of Samoan name conventions you don't know what to make of a surname that may not be associated with Emily/Emelia at all.

(Remind me to ask you re Fijian name conventions when I get back to the FIJI board - grin.)

Can you share her marriage surname? Her children's names? Her spouse's name?

I have looked under TUALA, TOGALOA (not TAGALOA?), and TUALUA. Checking for an Emily, Emelia, Em, Ema, Eme, or even Emma, nothing under any of the surnames previously listed.

Either the spelling is off, not the correct birth name, or maybe... Amelia?

I'm trying to cut this hunt down, so can you give me her spouse's name? That might help to get to Emily/Emelia faster.

Fa'afetai/Thanks!

--Manaia

Re: 'Emily Tuala-Togaloa' (?)

Posted: 16 Aug 2008 11:53PM GMT
Bula Manaia and Vinaka vakalevu for the response. I had tried to respond earlier but hit the wrong button I think and lost the response, so here goes again.

First up, profuse apologises for offending any Samoan sensibilities etc re their naming conventions. I have seen some hyphenated Samoan names (surnames?)which adds to my confusion because we do not use hyphenated names in Fijian.

Anyhow, the Emily I am looking for had (from anecdotal/oral evidence) was named Emily Tualua Togaloa. The name Emily could have been Emele (Fijians use this name as well). Am certain with regard to 'Togaloa' but so not with 'Tualua' as my source said it could have been 'Tuala' etc.

Emele accompanied her elder sister to Fiji at the turn of the century (circa 1900). Both sisters (as the story tells) ran away from Samoa as the elder sister was in an unhappy marriage with a German fellow. Emele/Emily met and married (?) Ratu Joni Lewenilovo, a senior chief from the village of Somosomo on the island of Taveuni (he was from the Tui Cakau clan). Ratu Joni went to serve in France with the Fiji Contingent that served in France and Italy during World War 1. He had two sons with Emele.

When Ratu Joni returned from the war (circa 1920) he married a Fijian lady with Tongan connexions who discouraged any reference to her husbands first wife (sounds familiar eh?). Nothing more was heard of Emele. Which is the purpose of this posting. Maybe she returned to her family in Samoa? All we know is that she was from the island of Savaii (no village name etc).

Several years ago we asked an old Fijian lady about Emele and all she could recall was her name (as given above) and that she was a "marama ni Samoa" (lady from Samoa). When asked which part of Samoa, she replied "...Savaii, Apia, American Samoa" (her geography was a bit out re Savaii being in American Samoa!).

So my questions are (1) is the name Emily/Emele Tualua Togaloa, a Samoan name? (it sounds very Fijian hence the doubt) (2) if she was Samoan, is the Togaloa family surname confined to a specific village and if so, what is the name of that village? (3) any other leads would be appreciated.

Many thanx for your patience.

Vinaka vakalevu

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 2:10PM GMT
Surnames: Lewenilovo, Rarawa, Tagaloa, Togaloa, Tuala, Tualua
"Tremendous gratitudes for your generous thoughts and comments!"

IF I seem curt/brief/rude--faatoese/sorry--I forget why I come to the South Seas region--Oceania--I'm usually in the Middle East region helping others and... I'll be good.

"All we have from anecdotal evidence was that she was (perhaps) part-German and that she came from Savaii." -1st post

"Emele accompanied her elder sister to Fiji at the turn of the century (circa 1900). Both sisters (as the story tells) ran away from Samoa as the elder sister was in an unhappy marriage with a German fellow." -2nd post

IF Emily has German heritage--please--what is her father's surname? Even if her parents were never married it was known that if a child carried "palagi" roots the surname alone was assurance that that child was better cared for than a native-born of Samoa. Do you even have her sister's name? Or her sister's married name?

Do you have her birth surname?

Now I have found many Ratu Joni and two listings under Lewenilovo.

RATU JONE VAKALOLO LEWENILOVO & EMALINI RARAWA - This couple started a family c.1958 - a coincidence?

"So my questions are (1) is the name Emily/Emele Tualua Togaloa, a Samoan name? (it sounds very Fijian hence the doubt) (2) if she was Samoan, is the Togaloa family surname confined to a specific village and if so, what is the name of that village? (3) any other leads would be appreciated."

1) IF you're asking a Samoan--first instincts--they don't question you about the names if they look/sound Samoan then they must be Samoan. TUALA and TUALUA I had no qualms about. The TOGALOA I had qualms about whereas I suggested TAGALOA as that is a very prominent surname in Samoa.

TAG/A/LO/A = TAHNG/ah/LOH/ah
TOG/A/LO/A = TOHNG/ah/loh/ah

How about Fijian enunciation?

2) I have no doubts that Emily was/is Samoan only because of your story. Now that is another "misunderstanding" of what "confined" means to someone living on an island.

3) What are Emily's sons names?

"I have seen some hyphenated Samoan names (surnames?)which adds to my confusion because we do not use hyphenated names in Fijian."

You and me both because I've never seen a Samoan hyphenated name. And if it occurred in the USA it was a fad at one short time. Hyphenated names for a Polynesian is useless I would think as their own birth names were long enough they didn't need hyphenated names to complicate their lives even more. Eh?/Sa'o?/Correct?

When you say Fijian does that include the East Indians?

Ratu Joni Lewenilovo, a senior chief from the village of Somosomo on the island of Taveuni (he was from the Tui Cakau clan). Ratu Joni went to serve in France with the Fiji Contingent that served in France and Italy during World War 1. He had two sons with Emele.

In Fiji, how many levels are there below a senior chief? What is the word Tui? Is Cakau a family name/surname?

"Several years ago we asked an old Fijian lady about Emele and all she could recall was her name (as given above) and that she was a "marama ni Samoa" (lady from Samoa). When asked which part of Samoa, she replied "...Savaii, Apia, American Samoa" (her geography was a bit out re Savaii being in American Samoa!)."

"marama ni Samoa" - looks foreign to me. Lets see what my grandmother says. (Be back.)

GRIN

And her Samoa geography may NOT have been off. Remember before April 1900--before there was an American Samoa--Tutuila, Manua, and other smaller islands and atolls were all part of what was once known as [German]Samoa then later under New Zealand rule [Western]Samoa and eventually Samoa(1962) and American Samoa(1900).

So I'm pretty sure the old lady was "spot on" when she'd been relating her story to you from her own way of telling things.

Remember: the elders have their own way of remembering. We, the young & dumb, have to remember to ask.

--Manaia

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 4:48PM GMT
Talofa/Hello:

"marama ni Samoa" - looks foreign to me. Lets see what my grandmother says. (Be back.)

Gran' says it's foreign to her also.

"Fafine mai i Samoa." should be "Lady from Samoa."

When I'd first seen it I'd thought not Samoan maybe Sankrit? Maori? Definitely wasn't thinking Samoan.

Christine Liava'a, look familiar to you?

GRIN

--Manaia

Posted: 7 Sep 2008 4:56AM GMT
Surnames: Yavalanavanua
Emily Tuala-Togaloa Huch is the 7th child of Mr Heinrich Martin Emil Huch (b.1860 in Hamburg, Germany d.Aug 31 1927,buried in Magiagi Cemetry), W.Samoa and Sineva (b.1864 in Apia. W.Samoa, d. Jun 14 1900, buried in Magiagi Cemetry, W.Samoa)

Mr Huch arrived first in Samoa as an enlisted man in the US Navy in the US 'Lackawana' in 1881.Upon the expiration of his enlistment on the return of the Lakawana to America he received his discharge and returned to Samoa as a naturalized citizen of the US. Mr Huch was a native of Hamburg,Germany but as a young man migrated to the United States and joined the US navy, it was this incident in his life that gave him according to the custom then existing the right of claiming American protection in Samoa.
Mr Huch commenced life in Samoa as a trader for Messrs Ruge Hedemann and Co in Falealili. In 1889 he moved to Apia with his wife and young family and started the Metropolitan Hotel built for him by Messrs E.W.Gurr & Co on the site where now stands the store of Westbrook. He after wards entered into a partnership with Capt Harrington. Capt Harrignton returned to Apia and his old partner joined him in building up their former business of carriers &Co. After the death of his partner Mr Huch took charge of the Central Hotel but owing to illness of his wife he relinquished that business and went into trading in Matafele. During the big fire when Matafele was mostly burnt down he lost everything. He made another start in the premises next Burns Philips Co.Ltd which he possess at the time of his death.
Sineva who was mother to Emily died and than Huch married in 1905 to miss Nellie Coe daughter of the late Jonas M. Coe one time US Consul for Samoa.
Mr Emil Huch was a man of sterling character, quiet, unassuming, hospitable and devoted to his family.
He had 8 children with Sineva and they were Annie,George,Alicia, William,Helene,Theodore,Emily and Henry.
Annie Huch married a Samoan chief who was uncle to King of Samoa Malietoa and had a daughter Sialaoa who married a chief from Poutasi, Falealili and had 7 children.
Alicia Huch married Dr Roland and had 4 children.
Greata Huch married Steve Percival and had 5 children.
Anna Ruland married Schaafhaussen and had 5 children.

Emily Togaloa Huch married Ratu Joni Lewenilovo who is a chief by right in Fiji. Ratu Joni Lewenilovo is the eldest son of Ratu Jone Vakalolo and Salote Finau of Tonga.

Ratu Joni Vakalolo son of Ratu Goleanavanua and Tule of Tonga. Ratu Goleanavanua was the Tui Cakau #7 and was one of the chiefs who ceded Fiji to Great Britain in 1864

Ratu Joni Lewenilovo's mother was a noble in Tonga hence he received most of his academic years in Tonga.
He met Emily Huch and got married thereby had 2 sons; Ratu Joni Saumaibulu and Ratu Viliame Qativi.
Emily got remarried to Mr Berbner and had 2 children ; Vincent and Lily.

Posted: 7 Sep 2008 7:47AM GMT
This is a most comprehensive response. Many thanx indeed. I assume Emily returned to Samoa to settle with Mr Berbner? Just wondering why she was the only one in the family to go to Fiji?

Posted: 7 Sep 2008 8:47AM GMT
Emily Tulua was brought up in Tonga by her adoptive parents using the surname Tuatogaloa. Her adoptive parents name was Sina and Tuatogaloa. So the name Tulua Tuatogaloa was given to her by her adoptive Tongan parents. Actually her real parents name was Mr Emil Huch and Sineva of Savaii, Samoa.
It was then that she met up with Ratu Joni Lewenilovo who spend most of his academic career in Tonga. They got married in Suva ,Fiji on the 03rd of October 1913 and had two sons; Ratu Jone Saumaibulu and Ratu Viliame Qativi.
Emily separated with Ratu Joni Lewenilovo and went back to Samoa leaving the two young boys behind with their father.
She later on remarried to Mr Berbner and had two other children ; Vincent and Lily.. Mr Berbner was from New Zealand..
Later on Ratu Joni Lewenilovo remarried to a fijian lady by the name Emily Koti from the mataqali Welitoa in Somosomo Taveuni..

Posted: 7 Sep 2008 11:12AM GMT
Many thanx. Great information. But the question still remains, if she had a family in Samoa which from, your account, seems to indicate that they were pretty well off, why did she get adopted out in Tonga?

Posted: 9 Sep 2008 5:38AM GMT
Surnames: Berbner, Tuatogaloa, Tuatagaloa, Togaloa
Talofa:

Tuatogaloa? Do you have another spelling? A Tongan spelling?

Checking under TUATAGALOA there is 655 listings and they are all for Samoans! not a single Tongan native.

There is Togaloa as a first name for Niue and TOGALOA as a surname only in Samoa.

Granted data/records are by non-Polynesians so it's no telling any of the TUATAGALOA listings could be for TUATOGALOA but which ones?

Are the "adoptive parents" Tongan or Samoan? I can trace/track everyone's name but the Tuatogaloa name, why?

And, faamolemole/please, is there also another spelling for BERBNER? I find a few listings in Germany and Scotland but nada for Vincent or Lily BERBNER.

Can you tell us did Emily arrive to Fiji with her sister on what ship?

Fa'afetai/Thanks!

--Manaia
per page

Find a board about a specific topic