Search for content in message boards

Irene Bessette, Fall River, Mass, and Brother Andre

Irene Bessette, Fall River, Mass, and Brother Andre

Posted: 9 Mar 2010 9:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Mar 2010 10:34PM GMT
Surnames: Bessette
Mr grandmother was Irene Bessette(maiden name) she married Thomas Fortin. She lived in Fall River and I read in the Anchor that he actually visited Fall River and had relatives there. I am trying to research as to whether or not she is related to Br. Andre Bessette and hope you can help me.

Re: Irene Bessette

Posted: 9 Mar 2010 10:32PM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2010 10:35PM GMT
SC9176,

If your grandmother was of French Canadian origin, she is most likely related to Brother Andre.

To determine the connection, you need to trace her family tree, as far back as you can go. Have you tried to do that?

You need to start off with what you know about her:

Her birth date and where she was born?
Her parents and when and where they were born?

If you have this info, post it and we'll see if there's enough to find the connection.

Posted: 4 May 2010 5:47PM GMT
Hi,

I am a Bessette. My ancestors are from Canada. We live in the Greater New Bedford area. I am actually a direcet descendent of one of Brother Andre's siblings, but I forgot which one. My mother, aunts, uncles, and cousins have traced the lineage for many years since my grandfather used to talk about his great uncle, Brother Andre, in Canada. My great-grandfather, Alfred, was presumably named after Brother Andre, who would have been his grandfather's brother. I don't remember if it was Claude, Leon, or Joseph, but one of those brothers of Andre's was my great (X3) grandfather. I don't know of any Fall River connection, but will be happy to share this lineage with you once I hear back from my Uncle who has all of the family information.

Jill

Posted: 5 May 2010 11:03PM GMT
Hi!,

My wife is directly related to Br Andre Bessette brother Claude Bessette(her ggg-grandfather. I have some information for that line and farther back.

Posted: 6 May 2010 12:50AM GMT
SC9176,

Brother, soon to be Saint, Andre would be your 2nd cousin, 4 times removed.

1 You

2 Your parent

3 Irene Bessette b 8 Mar 1900, Fall River, Bristol, Mass

4 Felix (Phileas) Bessette (b abt 1872) m Emma Blouin

5 Louis Bessette (b abt 1852) m Mary Josephte Laroche

6 Narcisse Bessette (b 1822) m Angelique Bricault

7 Louis Paschal Bessette (b abt 1782 ) m Marie Anne Collet

============================================================
8 Joesph Bessette (b 1753)and Marie Francoise Barriere
============================================================

7 Joseph Bessette b: 1779 m Angelique Georges

6 Issac Bessette (b: 1807) m Clothilde Foisy

5 Alfred (Brother Andre) Bessette b: 9 Aug 1845

Posted: 28 Dec 2010 9:23PM GMT
Robert,

Let your wife know that Claude was my great-grand-dad. My grand-dad was his son Henry and my dad was his son, also Henry. My husband and I live now in Florida but we still have children and grand-children in New Enland.

Sandra

Re: Irene Bessette, Fall River, Mass, and Brother Andre

Posted: 11 Feb 2011 2:45AM GMT
I remember Irene Bessette!!! She was my grandmother's cousin. My grandmother was Brother Andre's fifth cousin, and I am his 7th cousin. I am the oldest grand-daughter of Cecelia Moreau. The other name I remember is cousin Bernadette. Lucille, Eugene and Constance were grams kids. Lucille has researched St. Andre extensively. Please feel free to contact me (401) 829-0037. Bye for now, Linda, Coventry, RI

Posted: 11 Feb 2011 3:01AM GMT
Surnames: Bessette, Philipoom
I'm a descendant of the Bessettes--directly, from now-St. Andre's fifth cousin. My grandmother was Diane Bessette, later Diane Philipoom, but that might be unhelpful, because that's not her given name. Her sister was Lena Bessette, now Lena Vargas, so you could look that one up. I'm pretty sure we're related.

Posted: 11 Feb 2011 3:57PM GMT
Edited: 11 Feb 2011 3:58PM GMT
Hi jadephilipoom ,

In order to find a connection, you need to post more detail.

Who was the father of Diane and Lena Bessette? About what year and where was he born? About when, where and who did he marry?

Tracing your ancestry is the way to sort out your connection to St Andre. There are 1000's and 1000's of descendants of Jean Besset dit Bristout and Anne Seigner. If you can connect to them, then yes, you're related to other descendants and Saint Andre.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic