Search for content in message boards

Rev. John Jones and Fairfield, Conn

Rev. John Jones and Fairfield, Conn

Posted: 29 Jan 2002 12:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Mar 2003 3:16PM GMT
Does anyone know what religion the Rev. John Jones, John Tompkins and the early settlers of Fairfield belonged to?

Re: Rev. John Jones and Fairfield, Conn

Posted: 20 May 2002 5:59AM GMT
Edited: 20 May 2002 7:07AM GMT
I think they might have been Methodists. Have you found out for sure yet? I am planning on getting in touch with Fairfield town historian at some point this week. Will let you know what I find out.

anita tompkins (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2002 1:04PM GMT
I am a descendent of Abraham Tompkins, grandson of John and Mercy Jones. He was a zealous Methodist!!! I recently have been in touch with a lady who just got hired as the archivist for the Methodist Church in white Plains, and expect to be getting some info from the records in the future. So far in my research, I have found that numerous Tompkins from the Westchester crowd, were of the Methodist faith during the 1700's into the 1800's. Further down the lines, you start finding other Protestant faiths.I would go with Methodist! Hope this helps.
Anita

Posted: 21 May 2002 1:54AM GMT
Edited: 25 Mar 2003 3:16PM GMT
Thank you Anita for finding out that they were Methodists. Does anyone know when the Methodist faith started? Were the early Puritans Methodists? I gather that the original group headed by Rev. John Jones had to wait a while in Mass. for the arrival of an ordained minister to go with them to Fairfield, Conn. Was the Rev. Jones ordained as a Methodist in England? Or was he ordained in the Church of England and then became a Methodist over here? Who were the Congregationalists? I gather that a number of immigrants from England were Congregationalists. What is the relationship between Puritans, Methodists and Congregationalists and Episcopalians? These are all questions I have been wondering about. I do genealogy in the winter when things are less busy and I was hoping to look into all of this next winter. Thank you Anita and Sarah for working on this now. Much appreciated! Looking forward to what you find out.

Posted: 31 Oct 2011 5:16PM GMT
Edited: 31 Oct 2011 5:27PM GMT
The Rev. John Jones was a Puritan. He opened and was the first pastor of the First Church of Christ in Fairfield, Connecticut. My 10th g-grandfather Thomas Jones, born in England in 1598, was either his brother or his nephew, and his family settled in Maryland at the Bush River. The Thomas Jones family was among the 17 English ships involved in the Great Migration, and they arrived in the United States in 1635. I do know that they were related but uncertain as to how -- if you have any details on the Rev. John Jones' siblings or other relatives, I would appreciate your advisement. Thank you very much. Here is a link to the Rev. John Jones' gravesite: http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=27174. His family migrated with the Buckley family, his wife's family -- they at first settled in the area of Concord. As I understand Rev. John Jones arrived first in Mass. All persons with Jones surnames aboard the 17 ships were related to Rev. John Jones. There were 20 separate families. I would be interested in any information, and if I can help in any way, please feel free to contact me. It would be great to have a source in England. Thank you.

Posted: 31 Oct 2011 5:32PM GMT
They were Puritans and he opened and was pastor of the First Church of Christ in Fairfield. http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=27174

Posted: 31 Oct 2011 11:40PM GMT
Thanks so much for this piece. Most interesting to hear about the 17 ships of the Great Migration and to read the info on the Gravesite web address below. A few years ago my husband and I visited Fairfield and found the actual location of the John Tompkins farm, my ancestor. It is now the location of a gas station. John Tompkins was one of Rev. Jones flock.

Posted: 14 May 2014 1:54PM GMT
Hi Mary! I am also descended from John Tompkins. He would have been my 9th great grandfather. I would love to hear where in Fairfield the farm was, and any other information on John you have. There are so many conflicting stories about when he emigrated, who his father was, etc. I have his father as Ralph Tompkins, but I'm beginning to think I am incorrect. Anything you can help with his wife, and his parents would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Renee

Posted: 19 May 2014 6:29PM GMT
Hi Renee,
Thanks for your message. Such fun to find other descendants. John was the first in the US. Ralph is a red herring. John's farm was a couple of miles from the center of Fairfield, Conn. It is now a gas station just south of the railway track and the pond that was there has been filled in. The people at the library in Fairfield are very helpful. John arrived in Fairfield a couple of years after the Indians had all been wiped out. He arrived with ten families and a minister. I can't remember the minister's name at this point. John was in Salem, Mass for a couple of years before moving to the new colony in Fairfield. Evidently they were waiting in Salem for the arrival of a minister to accompany them.
I am currently really busy with spearheading a waterfront trail in Kingston Ontario Canada. www.friendsofinnerharbour.com. I am not doing genealogy at the moment. However I have become a member of DAR though my patriot Stephen Tompkins who was a blacksmith during the Revolutionary War. He lived in Kinderhook The best person to contact is Scott Tompkins of Plano Texas. He has done an amazing amount of work on the Tompkins line. You would find it completely fascinating. scott.tompkins@verizonbusiness.com.
Good luck, Mary
p.s. I don't know why I am replying through my husband's ancestry.com link. My computer is doing strange things. If you would like to talk on the phone. my number is 613-544-1246. I live in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions