Search for content in message boards

Oliver & Ada Shaw - 1916 - Kingwood, WV

Oliver & Ada Shaw - 1916 - Kingwood, WV

Posted: 26 Jun 2009 2:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Jun 2009 1:40AM GMT
Surnames: Shaw, Pandolfi, Durandetti
I have a wedding photo of my great aunt from 1916. In the photo are an Oliver, Ada, and Virginia Shaw. They MAY have been from PA, as the bride grew up in Elk, Clearfield, and Allegheny Counties.
Please let me know if you think this is your family. (and perhaps they mentioned the Pandolfi's or Durandetti's) According to some old notes, there may also have been two brothers, Archibald and Reginald.
Thanks,
Michelle
P.S. The SHAWs are NOT in my family tree.

Re: Oliver & Ada Shaw - 1916 - Kingwood, WV

Posted: 7 Aug 2009 1:46AM GMT
Edited: 9 Aug 2009 1:20PM GMT
Surnames: Shaw, Durandetti, Fico, Mollar, Commetto, Sandri
Hi Michelle,

I do hope you get this. Oliver and Ada Shaw were my great grand parents. Virginia was their daughter. They did have two sons. Regininald was a pilot and was killed in a plane crash in . Archibald was my grandfather.

They were from the Braxton/Lewis/Harrison county West Virginia area. I think Archibald may have been born in Deer Park Maryland. Oliver Shaw worked on the railroad.

If you have ties to Clearfield County PA, my grandmother's family has strong ties there. Family names would have been Mollar, Commetto, and Sandri.

I do remember the name Durandetti as a Kingwood name. I know there was an Anna Durandetti. And if my memory serves me well, her neice came to Kingwood to care for Anna. Her name was Alice Fico(I'm not sure of the spelling) My mother is still living and I will have her provide more information on that family line if it will help you.

I do have a huge request. The Shaw house burned in the late 1920's or early '30's. I would love to have a copy or scan of your photo. We only have one of Oliver Shaw and few of Ada.

This is so exciting!

Marcy Matherne

Posted: 8 Aug 2009 1:09PM GMT
Edited: 9 Aug 2009 1:21PM GMT
Surnames: Durandetti, Mollar
Marcy,
I'm currently on vacation, so I don't have the photo with me, but I'll be happy to send it about a week after I return (I'll need time to get back into the swing of work and home!)
I have heard of Anna Durandetti and may have a picture of her (no one seems to know who the woman is, so I'm guessing.) I'll try to send that too. As of yet, I haven't made a connection between Anna and my Durandetti's, but family lore says she was a cousin.
I read with interest your note on the Mollar family, because in the wedding photo, there is also a Walter Mollar, probably about age 10 or so. Perhaps he was related to your mother, too.
Looking forward to corresponding with you in the near future!
Michelle

Posted: 8 Aug 2009 2:04PM GMT
Surnames: Shaw, Mollar, Durandetti
Hi Michelle,
I asked Mom about Anna Durandetti last night. She remembers her well and could probably tell you whether your picture is of her. If there are other names associated with your family or Anna, let me know and I will talk with Mom and get back to you.

Walter Mollar was my Grandmother's brother. He was born in 1905 so the age in your photo would be about right. He lived most of his life in the Clearfield County PA area. My PA relatives lived in Curwensville. Mom told me last night that a cousin from Curwensville is also doing some genaology work.

By the way, you mentioned that the photo you have was from your great aunt's wedding...what are the names of the happy couple. Mom may recognized them.

Have a great vacation!

Marcy

Posted: 11 Aug 2009 6:39PM GMT
Edited: 12 Aug 2009 3:58PM GMT
Surnames: Durandetti, Pandolfi, Martin
The wedding couple was Lizzie Durandetti and Frank Pandolfi - July 28, 1916 (Lizzie's birthday). Lizzie's father was Joseph Durandetti. His wife, Catherine (Martin) had died in 1906. There were 9 daughters.
Hoping to get the pictures to you by the end of the week (I hope!)
Michelle

Posted: 13 Aug 2009 2:54AM GMT
Edited: 13 Aug 2009 1:45PM GMT
Surnames: Mollar, Shaw
Marcy,
Was your grandmother also related to a Jennie Mollar? She's also in the photo. The wedding photo was quite large (14x22 or something) so I had to copy it in two pieces - thus left and right in the file names. The Shaws and Mollar's are in the right section. There is a woman sitting next to Joseph, listed as Anna, and Jennie's hand is in hers. Is that Anna Durandetti by chance? My great grandmother, grt grandfather, and grandfather are in the left photo (Emma, Bernard, Felix.) Someone had the forethought to write the names on the photos. Hopefully you can make them out. Any info you can provide on the others in the wedding photo would be most appreciated (I'll bet your Mom may have some stories!)
Looking forward to hearing from you!
Michelle
Attachments:

Posted: 13 Aug 2009 2:56AM GMT
Edited: 13 Aug 2009 1:46PM GMT
Surnames: Shaw, Mollar
Right side of picture with the Shaws, Mollars, and others.
Attachments:

Posted: 13 Aug 2009 2:57AM GMT
Woman on the left is my great grandmother, Emma Durandetti Monfrino. Woman on the porch is Emma's mother-in-law, Maria Monfrino (I think). Any idea who the woman on the right is? I thought maybe Anna Durandetti.
Thanks!
Attachments:

Posted: 13 Aug 2009 10:53PM GMT
Edited: 14 Aug 2009 9:46PM GMT
Surnames: Shaw, Mollar
Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the photo's. The one is certainly a treasure for us. I will get mom to look at all of them. I think I have solved the mystery of Virginia Shaw. In my family, there are two Virginia Shaws.

One is indeed the daughter of Oliver and Ada Lee Shaw. We called her Aunt Betty.

The second is my grandmother, Virginia Mollar Shaw. Virginia Mollar married Archibald Shaw in 1921.(son of Oliver and Ada Lee) Virginia Mollar had two siblings, Jenny and Walter. The photo certainly looks more like Virginia Mollar Shaw than Aunt Betty. My guess is someone wrote the names in after Virginia Mollar and Archibald Shaw married.

I'll be in touch as soon as mom looks at all the photos. (probably this weekend)

Marcy

Posted: 14 Aug 2009 1:32PM GMT
Edited: 14 Aug 2009 9:47PM GMT
Surnames: Bologna, Bellone, Durandetti
Marcy,
Glad that you've figured out a puzzle. I'll need to take another look and see if I can figure it out, too.
One other thing. One of the names is written as Mr & Mrs Bologna and Johnny Bologna. I think the spelling is really Bellone (as they are related to the other Durandetti family from Curwensville/Clearfield PA.) I also found one of the other gentlemen in a census record in 1910, but I think I lost it when my computer crashed in April.
Sorry the picture was cut off.
Looking forward to hearing more!
Michelle
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions